We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge!!

Options

Comments

• Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    wegle wrote: »
    Sorry me again! Just done some quick fiddling with the budget and have managed to find £6.19 to move to the emergency fund, to give me a nice round starting figure of £500.

Welcome! Helen will be along no doubt to update things, but I thought I would say hello rather than read and run.
    I wouldn't think about it taking 9 years.
    I would celebrate every £100 achieved. Even if it is only a little dance around the kitchen when nobody is looking.
    I have found that if I put 10% of every little income in before I do my bills, so paying myself first, I see huge changes ( even if my family has emergencies more than I do.
    So when my £20.70 child benefit goes in, I put £2.07 into the pot.
    I am lucky that my money is weekly so it doesn't seem like a huge amount to save.
    Then I will jiggle a payment out of the budget if I am close to a big number, a bit like you did today.
    When I followed my plans I would also meal plan for 8 days a week, incase we didn't fancy a certain meal one day. That would mean that occasionally I would be able to either miss a week shopping occasionally or that I could eat from the stores I had and use the weekly shopping money either for savings, bulk buying or treats for a day out. But I confess I have fallen off the bandwagon there a bit, and my mission today is to relight my fire, ramp up my positive vibes and resurrect the various methods again, so I can rebuild my funds after family has drained it.
    Good luck
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    :hello: wegle and welcome to the challenge. Helen will be along when she can to give you a member number. If there's anything you'd like to know please just ask. We're a friendly and supportive bunch on here and know just how hard it can be to scrape together any emergency savings:). However little you manage to put by is more than you had before and, as Mr T was forever telling us, every penny counts;)

Good Luck:beer:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What a lovely welcoming and motivating post, Mooloo:)

Wishing you every success in getting your own EF built up again:beer:
  • wegle
    wegle Posts: 546 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Mooloo and Carbootcrazy. I really like you're 10% idea Mooloo. I get some weekly income as well, as I get Child Tax Credits, Child Benefit and housing benefit. 10% is probably a bit high for me that would be £190 a month. What's been working for me so far is as soon as I get my salary moving the £30 straight into my savings and treating it pretty much like any other bill payment. Once it's out of my account it's gone.

I use YNAB and have been using the weekly income I get for things like childcare, grocery shopping, entertainment and I'm currently working at cutting these costs down or building up a small category balance for them so then I can put what I would usually allocated weekly to them straight to savings.
  • Hillwalker17
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm new to all of this.

My plan hopefully includes initially saving together £500 for an emergency fund, topping this all the way up to £6000 (3 months wages). It won't be quick as I just took out a 2 year loan to consolidate other debts, but once i'm on the right track with paying everything off, this is my target. It will be a mix of saving for this and paying off the loan early.

I'm away to have a good read of the thread and see how everyone is doing. You all seem so friendly!
    Ex Gambling Addict :( - Last bet made on 15/03/2017 - 29 Days
    Slowly building an emergency fund - £1000/£6000
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    When I first started it seemed very daunting but now I am better at it, when I stay focused!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Welcome wegle and Hillwalker17 :hello: - Good observation Hillwalker, we are a friendly group and the more the merrier.

We all share our successes and challenges however big or small.

Helen will be along soon to pop your name, number & target on the first page. All you need to do then is plod along at your own pace. There's no time frame, no pressure and plenty of support and motivation along the way from us all. ;)

Dobbi
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • abundant1972
    abundant1972 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Evening folks!

Welcome to HoneyBee83, Wegle and Hillwalker17 :)

So I have a dilemma. I ran up the CCs a little at the end of last year and currently owe £1575.00. They are interest free until September, but am saving for a Mortgage. Am I better - using my EF fund to just clear/close them, and just keep the CC I have had for ages, and use/clear every month for shopping to keep my credit file looking healthy? By the time I apply for my mortgage later in the year they'll no doubt do a check...

It will free up £200 + repayments I am making each month, and that can go to my EF in addition to the £250 I already pay each month. It'll soon add up I'm sure... Did I just answer my own question? Lol

:)
    DFD = August 2027 @ £250/month
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    My life is full of abundance and prosperity
    NST Feb: Food & Spends = £216.51 / £290.00 NSD = 1 /15
    Be kind - Eat well - Exercise - Be mindful
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it's possible to clear ahead of the mortgage then that's always a positive from an affordability point.

Close - well I'm not so sure - all your CR will show is that it's been closed, not that it was a choice - how long have you had the card? it may be worth hanging on to it to evidence your long standing relationship with said credit card company......it's always a tricky one ;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • HoneyBee83
    HoneyBee83 Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Potted £50 to my emergency savings today, so that takes me to £115/£1000.
    Emergency Savings #73 = £1,500/£2,000
    Savings Pot £1,440.00
    Xmas 2018=£100/£300 Australia =£0.00/6000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business