We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge!!

Options

Comments

• sophieo16
    sophieo16 Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Lippy,

Ive done that in the past and its worked fine however, i dont want to risk saving about £50 and then something else going wrong with the phone and apple saying its void of warranty because someone else has opened it up (thats happened before with a phone i bought on eBay). I own the phone, no contract etc. so if something else goes wrong its an expensive replacement. Its whether to take the risk for the sake of £50ish quid isn't it.
    Mortgage Feb 2023- £249,210 MFW 2023 #20: £524.05/£500 (104.81%)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sorry I haven't been here for ages, folks:o. Real life has scuppered most of my good intentions:mad:. Internet connection had been dropping out all the time, I couldn't get anything done online. Have now switched ISP and have already received a refund of upfront fees from my old supplier. Will definitely be adding to my pot again (at long last) once I tot up what's what:j

Helen, so sorry to hear you are having a bad time at the moment. You are always so upbeat and motivating to the rest of us so I hope our collective good vibes sent your way make you realise how special you are to us:A. I hope better times are just round the corner for you.

Well done to all of you who have added to your pots and big hugs to anyone who has had setbacks or is feeling under par at the moment:kisses3:
  • LittleMissDetermined
    Options
    Good morning!

I'm back from hols and it was payday whilst I was away so I've transferred £350 to savings taking my total to £1350 please Helen

I hope everyone's doing ok

LMD xx
    Life gets in the way...PADding is addictive...Saving's better than spending...
    2024 1p challenge #11 | Cash envelope challenge #01 | SPC #017
    Sealed pot 2024 £3347.15 | EF £1000/£1000 | Sabbatical £1155/£3000 | Holiday spends £726 | General Saver £3514.48
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 7 March 2017 at 9:51AM
    Options
    Right, I'm finally adding something to my EF:j

I mentioned before that my old internet /phone provider had refunded quite a large amount (a large amount to me anyway:o) of upfront charges:T. This is just over £117 so I'm rounding it up to £130 and adding it to my pot. That now takes my EF total up to a lovely round £1000:j

A third of the way to my total:dance:. I never thought I'd ever get this far.

Might need to rethink and upgrade my target though as it's meant to be my 'new' car fund and by the time I reach my target my current ancient car will be only worth scrap value:eek:. It probably is already. Will definitely need more for a half-way decent oldish replacement;)
  • The_Only_Girl
    Options
    Good morning all!

Massive congratulations to all for the progress we've been making with our EF.

Had to dip in to my EF pot over the weekend to send £50 to my brother abroad. It's his 40th and his son's 1st birthdays this week. While it sounds quite an extravagant gift, it's nothing compared to the sacrifices he and his family are making looking after my ill father. My dad has lots of needs we couldn't meet being in the UK. And some might say, birthdays are not emergency. I forgot it's his big birthday and I didn't budget it iin. Oops! On the other hand, I received £94.06 cashback from quidco, pushing myntotal up to £9425.89. I'm 78.5% away from target.
    "There is Life AFTER DEBT."LBM 2009 Total Debt £49046.24 Debt Free as of 27/08/2015
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good morning all!

Massive congratulations to all for the progress we've been making with our EF.

Had to dip in to my EF pot over the weekend to send £50 to my brother abroad. It's his 40th and his son's 1st birthdays this week. While it sounds quite an extravagant gift, it's nothing compared to the sacrifices he and his family are making looking after my ill father. My dad has lots of needs we couldn't meet being in the UK. And some might say, birthdays are not emergency. I forgot it's his big birthday and I didn't budget it iin. Oops! On the other hand, I received £94.06 cashback from quidco, pushing myntotal up to £9425.89. I'm 78.5% away from target.

Don't worry about having to use some of your EF, The Only Girl:) It wasn't a massive amount after all. I know we all need to save but at the end of the day family is more important than a few extra pounds in the kitty;).
  • The_Only_Girl
    Options
    Don't worry about having to use some of your EF, The Only Girl:) It wasn't a massive amount after all. I know we all need to save but at the end of the day family is more important than a few extra pounds in the kitty;).

Indeed, all the money in the world could not buy love and family.
    "There is Life AFTER DEBT."LBM 2009 Total Debt £49046.24 Debt Free as of 27/08/2015
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I am struggling with the knowledge that my money has been depleted so much. I don't feel so secure even though I do know that I have credit cards for any emergency.
    I have managed to put in £71.19 more
    So my total is now £171.19
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • wegle
    wegle Posts: 546 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I've been looking round the boards for a suitable challenge to join and this one is perfect for me, so I'd love to join if that's ok. I'm very nearly debt free (owe £75 on Next Directory and £200 to Very Catalogue) and really want to get a solid emergency fund. I did have a good emergency fund but I recently split from my Husband so that was completely swallowed up trying to move house and get me and my son settled, but hey that's what it was for I guess.

I'd like to build up 3 months of expenses as my goal so that would be £5803.40 so I'll round that up to £6000 to make it a nice even number. I have goals beyond this for long term investing for my son and myself but really need to get the emergency buffer in place before we look into that.

I work part time and the budget is definitely very tight so not much room for savings. I usually manage to put £30 a month away but I want to push myself to be at least achieving £50 a month.

Currently my emergency fund sits at £493.81. So even if I do put away £50 a month it's still going to take 9 years but I think better it take 9 years than it never exist and hopefully this challenge will push me to build it faster.

Anyway, thanks for having me along!
  • wegle
    wegle Posts: 546 Forumite
    edited 8 March 2017 at 10:56AM
    Options
    Sorry me again! Just done some quick fiddling with the budget and have managed to find £6.19 to move to the emergency fund, to give me a nice round starting figure of £500.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport