Broadband. Who's the Cheapest? Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• bettyr
    bettyr Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    Just read Martins latest "Money Saving Tips" and he ain't quite right. V21 is the cheapest at just £11.98 and if you take up the offer of a £2.00 discount on cheap phone calls that drops to £9.98 - what a deal!

Take a look:

http://www.v21.co.uk/v21/_files/pers_2mb.asp

Matchlockman

I can't see V21 on https://www.adslguide.org
    That's where folks go to find a good ISP.
    I must say, that for a 1st post, you have an awful cheek criticising Martin.
  • chocomonsta
    Options
    Minariman wrote:
    I tried to get onto the madasafish website to check access in my area but was asked for a "promotion code" any ideas?

the promotional code is 'cheaper'

I phoned NTL (£17.99) quoted madasafish £10.99 deal and NTL matched it for the next 6 months. No problem

:T
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Just read Martins latest "Money Saving Tips" and he ain't quite right. V21 is the cheapest at just £11.98 and if you take up the offer of a £2.00 discount on cheap phone calls that drops to £9.98 - what a deal!

Take a look:

http://www.v21.co.uk/v21/_files/pers_2mb.asp

Matchlockman

Hi Matchlockman

The free phone calls offered with that package are to just to other Freetalk customers. Plus, it has a 2GB monthly transfer limit while Madasafish is 5GB.

If you're new to broadband there's an activation fee on this one of £58.98 including VAT so the total for the year is £202.74. Averaged out that's £16.90 per month.

For existing broadband users it's a connection charge of £23.98 and £11.98 a month, averaging out at £13.96 per month. So technically it is cheaper, by 3p, but for the extra 3GB it's probably worth going for Madasafish.

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Forestlands_2
    Options
    Watch out for changes in "technical support" charges. Talktalk package looked great when I started Feb. 2005. Checking cost of technical support before signing and told 10p a min. on 0278 number. This soon went to premium rate of 50p min. Any phone calls to Talktalk have resulted in my being told to phone support on 090----.Have protested passwords, enquiries regarding how to use the new style tallktalk email and questions regarding security items added to the email facilities have a cost of 50p a min. This increases the cost of using Talktalk Broadband considerably!

Have just signed up with Toucan so asked about technical support costs, was quoted 10p min before signing, since signing this has gone to 30p min.! Thankfully, still time to cancel!
  • tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My parents were with griffin internet and it does have to be said, they were being charged a fair amount (£19.99+VAT) for an unlimited service with fair customer support on 512K. I rang them and got them to upgrade to 2MB for no extra cost. If we'd not done it, we'd still be on 512K.

This way I have no hassle swapping and I've got my parents a much better deal = )
    Tim
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm surprised to see Martin suggest that my free cps phone service is pants; perhaps he also has a certain amount of cheek. Unlike several so-called FreeTalk packages that charge only 10% less than BT, the calls are actually free. 2MB/s - there is a 1GB cap but that doesn't bother me, and it will cost £150 for a year. Pipex
  • squires55
    Options
    I've been with Pipex for a good while now (2 years?) and paying £23.44 for a 1Mb/s download and 512Kb/s upload, rang them up to ask for the MAC number as I am going to change to Plusnet @ £14.99, they offered me the same price with a 15GB/month cap and I have to do 12 months from this time.

I Accepted this as it means I don't have the hassle of email address change etc, I never use more than 15GB and whilst I'm locked in it still saves me £8.50/month.Maybe worthwhile others trying this if your with Pipex.
  • SteveB
    SteveB Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I don’t know if this counts, but I have got together with my neighbours & 8 of us are sharing a 2Mb unlimited access using a wireless link. We are mainly retired & are not heavy users of the internet. Because of the initial equipment costs, we are paying £10 a month for about 2 years & then it should be under £3 a month. I have not noticed a reduction of page loading speed as we connected up the neighbours.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    bettyr wrote:
    I can't see V21 on www.adslguide.org
    That's where folks go to find a good ISP.
    I must say, that for a 1st post, you have an awful cheek criticising Martin.

I don't think it's a cheek at all
    the title of this thread is 'Article Discussion Area' and I'm sure Martin appreciates everyones view :)

what I think is a cheek is someone who has been banned twice from this site posting under yet another username after being asked not to post here again icon12.gif
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • madhur
    Options
    I was interested in the comments made by Cougar and have looked at IC-24's website. Yet I find no way of comparing either IC-24 or Madasafish on the ASDLguide site so am reluctant to switch from Wanadoo,my current provider. Anybody have any experience with either of the two mentioned which are part of Brightview as is Waitrose, I believe?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure