Broadband. Who's the Cheapest? Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• willb_2
    Options
    I've heard Tiscali will not give a MAC to transfer away from them - I just hope I never have to leave them!

When I left Tiscali I was so desperate to be rid of them that I completely forgot to ask about a MAC. I just waited a week and signed up with someone else - there were enough providers out there who didn't charge set up fees that I was able to find one I liked.

It meant I was without broadband for a couple of weeks, which was a nuisance, but I was able to use the library PCs when I needed a quick 'fix'!

However, if you're not having any problems with them, you're probably better off sticking with Tiscali - they're still pretty good value for money.

Will

PS. I've had a quick look around and, according to the blurb from other ISPs, if Tiscali refused to give you a MAC, they would need to give you a valid technical or contractual reason why they did so.

Incidentally, Tiscali are a member of the ISP Association (http://www.ispa.org.uk/) and must abide by a code of conduct, though unfortunately I could not see anything about transferring accounts. Sorry.
  • MPwannasavemoney
    Options
    willb wrote:
    When I left Tiscali I was so desperate to be rid of them that I completely forgot to ask about a MAC. I just waited a week and signed up with someone else - there were enough providers out there who didn't charge set up fees that I was able to find one I liked.

It meant I was without broadband for a couple of weeks, which was a nuisance, but I was able to use the library PCs when I needed a quick 'fix'!

Interesting to see that the topic of broadband switching is covered as the main article in the Money section of the Sunday Times on 22 Jan. It even quotes a "Nei Peirson, a research scientist" saying they exactly what Will said above - must be a lot of people who don't realise this!
  • cerreno
    cerreno Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I'm with Ntl - currently charging £24.99 per month for 2Mb. Download speed is fine as it is so I phoned up to ask what was involved with cancelling their service. They immediately told me they could offer me half price for three months, and that provided I remember to phone again every three months to ask for the offer to be extended, they'll do so. So Ntl is available permanently for £12.49 to anyone with a calendar!
  • estella_2
    Options
    Hi, I am just buying a new flat in Leeds, and want to get broadband, freeview/cable, and a landline... do I have to sign up to a BT line first? Is there any company who can give you all the above? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Estella
  • patgc
    patgc Posts: 427 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A lot of these ISP's say that you need a BT landline for their package. I have my landline thru Talk Talk. Does it matter ?
  • hilary1
    hilary1 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can change providers if you don't have a BT line but are on NTL, as all the providers I've looked at say you need a BT line.

I pay £17.99 month and could do with reducing the cost a bit.
    The curve that can set a lot of things straight is a smile
  • joemack
    joemack Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Please can anyone tell me how much a ADSL modem cost. Thanks.
  • Chuffy
    Chuffy Posts: 1,254 Forumite
    Options
    Just looked on the 'special link' Martin set up for madasatree broadband - the prices appear to have increased to £11.99 for first 6 months then £17.99 for remainder of contract. Now deal is £14.99 per month (average). sadly, Martin's article is already out of date...
    On the upside the modem that you get is ADSL but with an ethernet port as well as USB, so a wireless router can be used.
    Telewest are currently offering £14.99 per month for 12 months, free install, free equipment, £10 back if you sign up online, 2000 Rpoints for a 512K (upgrading to 2MB in my area by end Feb) with no limits.
    Seems a good deal to me - I live too far away from an exchange and can only get 512K, so all these 8MB deals mean nothing to me.
  • Chuffy
    Options
    joemack wrote:
    Hi
    Please can anyone tell me how much a ADSL modem cost. Thanks.

If you are signing up to a braodband deal, you will probably get one free.
    Otherwise check eBay, there are usually hundreds as every new migration (often) gets you a new modem so they are ten a penny.
  • Chuffy
    Options
    patgc wrote:
    A lot of these ISP's say that you need a BT landline for their package. I have my landline thru Talk Talk. Does it matter ?

From TT website:

5. What happens to my Internet calls?

• If you have a 'pay as you go' Internet service and you dial an 0845 number, TalkTalk will carry your call as usual. You can nominate the number in your Calling Circle to receive a 33% discount on standard TalkTalk rates
    • If you pay a flat monthly rate, you can still use ISPs such as AOL, BT Open World and Wanadoo. Calls will not be carried by TalkTalk and your ISP will continue billing you as normal
    • Switching to TalkTalk will not affect your agreement with your existing broadband provider
    Between the lines, it means a non-cable line.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure