Broadband. Who's the Cheapest? Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Chuffy
    Chuffy Posts: 1,254 Forumite
    Options
    I use Totalise which is part of Brightview - Pipex were better for CS. Totalise is always available though, no down time, there was some with Pipex, but still prefer them taking this into account. Only left as they were'nt able to offer a good deal at time.
    Pipex has a UK call centre, Totalise is definately not UK based.
  • Vortex_2
    Options
    One thing that seems to have been overlooked so far is the minimum contract period. Most (all?) of the cheap packages, particularly if they come with free connection or equipment have a twelve month contract. If you decided the service is poor you're tied to them unless you can get out by paying a penalty fee. Far better to pay more but have the option of leaving when you want. I agree with some of the previous posts in that the cheap ISPs look great until something goes wrong and you expect support. I'm with Zen - they appear to be quite expensive but you certainly get what you pay for; reliability and great customer support (only used once for advice rather than a problem). Unfortunately with broadband low cost rarely means good value. The fact that your service is cheap can never make up for the stress and frustration if (when?) you lose your connection - I've been there that's why I'm now with Zen.
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have read through all the posts re cheaper boadband access including the article & can't see anything that mentions existing cable customers. We are connected to ntl via cable for internet, tv & telephone. Currently paying £24.99 p/m for unlimited broadband internet + £29 p/m for 'digital base pack + 2 telephone lines' - we have 3 phone lines as we run a small business from home. I have reduced our TV packages & also cut the cost by getting rid of a £15 extra TV connection . Am I tied to ntl for evermore or could i go elsewhere? TIA for any help you techies can give!! :confused:

mimi
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Have a look at this thread here regarding NTL. Every day someone posts that they have managed to reduce their package deal by "making that call" icon7.gif
  • joemack
    joemack Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I am new to broadband, can you tell me what is a mac code. Thanks.
  • callylea
    Options
    Hi callylea and welcome to MSE and the Telephone Boards.

Have a read at this thread about NTL/Telewest and then "make that call" icon7.gif

Be prepared with facts and figures and tell them that you are going to move to BT then go with xyz and they should put you through to the Retention Department and make you an offer. Don't necessarily take the first offer though as they may well come back with something better.

If you don't get a better deal, then of course you can move and go with BT and another bb supplier.

HTH

icon7.gif
    Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!!

Read the thread, rang Telewest, got £26 a month off my monthly charge by downloading broadband speed (fine by me as we don't need fast broadband) and reducing the tv package to the lowest amount as we don't watch most of them and £45 back off my current bill & free calls to landlines at the weekends!!!
    As I was on a roll, I also changed my gas & electric supplier, potentially saving £150 per annum. I'm in the money!!!!

THANKS!!!
  • abwsco
    abwsco Posts: 979 Forumite
    Options
    squires55 wrote:
    I've been with Pipex for a good while now (2 years?) and paying £23.44 for a 1Mb/s download and 512Kb/s upload, rang them up to ask for the MAC number as I am going to change to Plusnet @ £14.99, they offered me the same price with a 15GB/month cap and I have to do 12 months from this time.

I Accepted this as it means I don't have the hassle of email address change etc, I never use more than 15GB and whilst I'm locked in it still saves me £8.50/month.Maybe worthwhile others trying this if your with Pipex.

Thanks, as your post prompted me to ring Pipex, although I just said I wanted to know what lower cost package they could offer me. I too am going to be saving £8.50 per month
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Wonderful last two posts :T

These posts are what MSE is all about icon10.gif
  • intel
    intel Posts: 6,404 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Um OK then I have Telewest BB @2mb uncapped @ 17.99 per month
    and that is the only service I use with them........

Does anybody think I may get a lower rate if I try it with them but
    no loss of download speed as needing software daily I cant afford
    to lose the dowload speed..

Any Ideas will be Brill... :T :T
  • Victor_Delta
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote:
    Hi Matchlockman

The free phone calls offered with that package (V21) are to just to other Freetalk customers.
    Andrea :)
    Don't forget the free weekend calls to uk landline numbers...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure