Its Official Sky to increase cost of broadband .

Comments

• Sky is about to increase its Broadband charges by 100% !!!!!!!!!!:eek:
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Sky are sneaky so and so's, not a company I'd want to move all my services to because they are forcing my hand. Plus they have you screwed over, you can't dump the TV service to save money when times are hard as you'll lose broadband and phone and if you want to change phone provider, you'll be stuck with a £125 bill to do so.

Sky Line rental - no I'm no fool! OK some people might see they are making some savings, but then they have never properly looked into saving money on the phone service before, so have not known the years of savings that have been available to them.

As always said by those in the know - NEVER move line rental away from BT.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Welcome to the forum, you are not entirely correct , they are increasing the price of each of their LLU packages by £5/month, unless you take Sky Talk.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • pbfhpunk
    pbfhpunk Posts: 223 Forumite
    I get BT BB option 1 for £7.49 - this suits us as we live in the sticks so can't get higher than 2Mb - phoned to cancel to go to Sky where it *was* free and also got upgraded to the new home hub. I didn't mess about and basically said I wanted to speak to the retention department.

My dad then phoned and got £7.49 for option 2, he's closer to an exchange so can get higher speeds but not a heavy user, he didn't get a home hub but uses our old one

Obviously this only suits if slow speed available and not a gamer or film downloader. Were told if we went over our monthly usage then we wouldn't be charged but notified after a few months and look to upgrade package, also when we renew in 12 months we'll have a reduced package as well.

Helen
    Hell yeah!!
  • I feel its quite mean to those who signed up early this year with BASE advertised as free. Our household and my b/f parents moved to sky early this year,

They are on BASE, (soon to become a fiver) it's said they can reduce the cost by switching to their landline. However they had to swap from virgin to BT line rental and are stuck in a 12 month contract with BT so they can't move without being penalised.

We're in a similar boat - we can't move across due to our 12 month BT contract expiring next April. However as "a valued sky customer...we'll be freezing the price... til jan 2010" - I bet lots of people got that letter.
    :kisses2: Got married September 2011:smileyhea

• loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    I did complain about the £5 increase and sky has downgraded me to base without my permission. I have told them when my contract expires in April, I will consider my options whether to cancel my sky tv and bb with them. On saturday I got a letter telling me I have been downgraded as from 2nd December as I am a light user. I did not think this was possible, I read you can upgrade but not downgrade. As it is I am paying £5 mid and will avoid the increase if I take sky talk free. I am going to see how it goes with base and subscribe to sky talk free and get it free. I do not mind paying the £5 increase for base as I want to keep my calls with bt and the line but the usage on base is only 2gb a month. Very unlikey I will exceed except when I have visitors who want to use the internet. Does anybody know what's the penalty is for going over. Bt charges 30p per gb which is not too bad. I think, if we are paying £5 for base, sky should give us a reasonable download of 5gb. I am going to write to complain, not that I am going to get anywhere. Thanks
  • neil40
    neil40 Posts: 753 Forumite
    loulou41 wrote: »
    I did complain about the £5 increase and sky has downgraded me to base without my permission. I have told them when my contract expires in April, I will consider my options whether to cancel my sky tv and bb with them. On saturday I got a letter telling me I have been downgraded as from 2nd December as I am a light user. I did not think this was possible, I read you can upgrade but not downgrade. As it is I am paying £5 mid and will avoid the increase if I take sky talk free. I am going to see how it goes with base and subscribe to sky talk free and get it free. I do not mind paying the £5 increase for base as I want to keep my calls with bt and the line but the usage on base is only 2gb a month. Very unlikey I will exceed except when I have visitors who want to use the internet. Does anybody know what's the penalty is for going over. Bt charges 30p per gb which is not too bad. I think, if we are paying £5 for base, sky should give us a reasonable download of 5gb. I am going to write to complain, not that I am going to get anywhere. Thanks
    Good news is that they do not charge for extra useage at present.They will proberly just upgrade you again if you exceed the 2Gb for a few months in a row......Neil
  • I recently recieved a letter from sky stating that their broadband packages were going up by £5 a month. We are on the base package which is free with a sky TV package and has always been the selling point for me.
    Their sneaky selling point is that it would still be free if you purchased their sky talk anytime package which is £5 (plus £10 line rental which they conveniently forget) I researched my call providers tarrif yourcalls.net and wrote down all the figures (their anytime package is £3.90) I phoned straight through to their cancellation department (customer retentions, see martin I have been listening) and told the agent I was not happy as my call provider was the cheapest around and was not sure that I wanted to keep my package. after questioning him repeatedly over different call costs to different networks (so that he thought i knew what I was talking about) he finally offered me 12 months free line rental equalling £120 a saving.:j

thought everyone should know
  • I phoned the cancellations department of sky regarding their price increase and told them there package was no olonger appealing to me. i gave them some figure for my current call provider and asked about a few rates to different providers i still said i wasn't sure as my phone anytime call package was £3.90 instead of their £5 and I was given 12 months free line rental at a value of £120!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure