Its Official Sky to increase cost of broadband .

Comments

• neil40
    neil40 Posts: 753 Forumite
    I'd contest that.

Sky Base - £5 a month - 2Mb/s speed - 2GB Usage per month.
    Orange Starter - free for mobile contract customers - 8Mb/s speed - 10GB Usage per month.
    But then again,you have to go into usually an 18 month mobile contract at £30 plus per month.
  • neil40 wrote: »
    But then again,you have to go into usually an 18 month mobile contract at £30 plus per month.
    and...er...its with orange, who provide what can politely be called 'pants' broadband, vs sky's exceptionally well received llu offering.
    if I had the choice (I don't ) of orange bb @ £0/month or sky llu @£20/month, I'd, without hesitation, go sky, so £5/£10/£15 is, in my book a bargain
    Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant.
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    neil40 wrote: »

No its free with any Orange Pay Monthly Plan,but not Sim Only deals.

Dont you have to take out a Sky Digital TV contract costing from £17 a month to get Sky Broadband/ Sky Talk.:D
  • JHP. yes, you need a sky tv sub to take advantage of their bband, but still, comparing the services from sky and orange is not comparing like for like. similar to comparing a lada with an aston, they are both cars, and have 4 wheels, but they are not the same :(
    Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant.
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    This is a post to warn others that a price increase is on the way from Sky BB :

Just got a letter from Sky saying all Sky Broadband packages will go up by £5 from 1st March 2009 - so my mid package will double in cost to £10.

There is still a way to stop the cost increasing by joining Sky Talk, which is free - if you do that the current £5 rate for the Mid package stays until at least 2010. I dont really want to join Sky Talk, because from what I understand if you want to come back to BT at a later date they can charge you a hefty reconnection fee. Someone will correct me I'm sure.

Now, these sky price increases suddenly make Sky BB a lot more expensive. I have been with Sky BB since almost the start because its been by far the cheapest for me. It's extremely sneaky of them to announce a price increase at a time of recession, and at a time when I'm sure they're happy they have a huge customer base.

Are there any other viable alternatives to Sky out there? I am a customer of O2 so might even look at their BB service after this. :mad:
  • jhp wrote: »
    No its free with any Orange Pay Monthly Plan,but not Sim Only deals.

Dont you have to take out a Sky Digital TV contract costing from £17 a month to get Sky Broadband/ Sky Talk.:D

From £16, that's all I pay for Sky telly, phone and wireless broadband.

I could go with Orange but then it's £10 to go wireless. Free for dialup. And their service is AWFUL much worse than Sky and that's saying something!!
    The only thing worse than smug married couple; lots of smug married couples.
  • From £16, that's all I pay for Sky telly, phone and wireless broadband.

Its now £17 a month, plus your phone line rental of course.

http://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyproducts/getsky
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    shaggy wrote: »
    This is a post to warn others that a price increase is on the way from Sky BB :

Just got a letter from Sky saying all Sky Broadband packages will go up by £5 from 1st March 2009 - so my mid package will double in cost to £10.

There is still a way to stop the cost increasing by joining Sky Talk, which is free - if you do that the current £5 rate for the Mid package stays until at least 2010. I dont really want to join Sky Talk, because from what I understand if you want to come back to BT at a later date they can charge you a hefty reconnection fee. Someone will correct me I'm sure.

Now, these sky price increases suddenly make Sky BB a lot more expensive. I have been with Sky BB since almost the start because its been by far the cheapest for me. It's extremely sneaky of them to announce a price increase at a time of recession, and at a time when I'm sure they're happy they have a huge customer base.

Are there any other viable alternatives to Sky out there? I am a customer of O2 so might even look at their BB service after this. :mad:

Yes, there is. I am going to sign to sky talk free with free subscription but keep my bt line to avoid the £5 increase. I have subscribed to 18185 and use it for all my calls. I will ring bt to cancel caller display and 1571. Plan do this sometimes in February 09. I have no intention of paying the exta £5 if I can help it. Will always use bt for line rental. o2 BB is excellent, daughter has it and she is very pleased. £60 going through quidco now and a free Arsenal football shirt. If I were an o2 customer, I would definitely go with them. Hope this helps.
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    loulou41 wrote: »
    Yes, there is. I am going to sign to sky talk free with free subscription but keep my bt line to avoid the £5 increase. I have subscribed to 18185 and use it for all my calls. I will ring bt to cancel caller display and 1571. Plan do this sometimes in February 09. I have no intention of paying the exta £5 if I can help it. Will always use bt for line rental. o2 BB is excellent, daughter has it and she is very pleased. £60 going through quidco now and a free Arsenal football shirt. If I were an o2 customer, I would definitely go with them. Hope this helps.

... and if you know someone who works for O2, they can refer you and you get their max speed 20Mb broadband for £7.50 :money:
  • Nex0
    Nex0 Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    shaggy wrote: »
    ... and if you know someone who works for O2, they can refer you and you get their max speed 20Mb broadband for £7.50 :money:

That's great if you live in an area where o2 has been unbundled on your exchange and you can actually get anywhere near 20MB on your line which a lot cant.

Not so good for people who cant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport