Home Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• boredoftherings
    Options
    Lady_K wrote: »
    Rented house/appartment insurance, which is a good one for that?

For Contents only.
    I use Endsleigh - why? not only because they're cheap but my rental agreement as a tenant includes the annoying clause that I need to insure my landlords' possessions too - so a £25,000 policy has 10% assigned to cover his stuff. Stupid but I cannot rent the flat without this insurance clause, and the only one I can find that does this, other than Endsleigh, charges about 3 times as much (and is based in the Channel Islands)
  • brizzie_2
    brizzie_2 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I had a renewal quote from LV of £181 and £211 with a £75 M&S voucher later on from L&G. But I tried the meercats and got £104 on a like for like from Policy Expert with legal cover free. Plus toy and cinema tickets. But directly on the PE site the quote was quite a bit more for quite a bit less. Clearly pays to check all the options. £77 saved.
  • BaldacchinoR
    BaldacchinoR Posts: 135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Last year I got my home insurance down to about £14, from Halifax Bank, as I got £50 cashback from both Quidco (cashback website) and Halifax, making £100, I got another 10% off as a Halifax Bank customer. And another £7 approx. from Quidco as they offered £20 if you made 3 purchases within a specified period; they may have something similar now but this may be by invitation only - not sure so check their website. So I got 2 cashback offers from both of them.

This year was not as good in one way, as I got £50 from Top Cashback and £30 M&S vouchers from Aviva making my premium £50 for the year. But Halifax gave £50,000 cover for contents, Aviva gives £100,000 cover, so its better that way. I recommend Aviva for both home and car insurance especially if you can get some cashback as well.
  • dtrtours
    Options
    I must admit that I had never checked my parents insurance to make sure they are getting a good deal. Recently my mother died and since then I have started to help my father get the best deals.
    He has been a loyal customer at Lloyds/TSB for many years and we discovered that they had been charging him over £648 for his house and contents cover each year. So we have been online got a new policy with Lloyd's the only difference being the excess charge For £165 with £50 cash back.So a saving of £533.
    Now we are complaining to Lloyd's for overcharging my parents for many years. Has anyone else done this and got anything back?
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dtrtours wrote: »
    I must admit that I had never checked my parents insurance to make sure they are getting a good deal. Recently my mother died and since then I have started to help my father get the best deals.
    He has been a loyal customer at Lloyds/TSB for many years and we discovered that they had been charging him over £648 for his house and contents cover each year. So we have been online got a new policy with Lloyd's the only difference being the excess charge For £165 with £50 cash back.So a saving of £533.
    Now we are complaining to Lloyd's for overcharging my parents for many years. Has anyone else done this and got anything back?
    This comes up regularly on the forum and I don't recall anyone reporting success.

Your parents will have had renewal notices each year and accepted the terms.
  • slow_saver
    slow_saver Posts: 384 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I always follow the advice given on this site when searching for Insurance quotes but this time I'm aghast at a quote I received via Uswitch for Home & Contents cover. They have quoted a premium of £5745 with approx 6 insurers. All of the other search engines I've used have Quoted me between £99- £200 for the same cover!!! Is there a bug in the Uswitch system or are they trying to avoid taking on home cover???
    I must, I must, get my post average up to 1 a day!! :D
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just did my home insurance renewal, cheapest quote was £81. TCB offering £65.65 CB - NET cost £15.35 for B&C cover for the year. :D
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have just had a buildings and insurance quote from M and S. They use Axa as their underwriters who offer the same levels of cover for £50 or so per year less. I am tempted just to cut out the middleman. Thoughts?
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    I have just had a buildings and insurance quote from M and S. They use Axa as their underwriters who offer the same levels of cover for £50 or so per year less. I am tempted just to cut out the middleman. Thoughts?

The policies will probably have some differences, so it's just a question of checking carefully to see if there's anything missing from the Axa version. It may even be better, of course.

Or you could just ask M&S to match it, which they may well do.
  • robrymond
    robrymond Posts: 705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know which insurers cover for pet damage still? I know Halifax do as I was with them last year but there prices have risen this year. They also appear to have stopped the no-extra cost direct debit cost.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback