🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Home Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• chilli_green
    Options
    Hi,

I am shortly going to be moving into a new warehouse conversion and am looking for some reasonably priced personal property insurance. The property is privately rented directly through the landlord with 6 bedrooms in total. So I just want to insure my own property - essentially just my bedroom, clothes, TV, books, etc and probably my laptop.

I'm looking at comparison sites but if anyone has any recent recommendations of good coverage please let me know. It seems to be tough to specifically pick a 'warehouse' property on most sites, I'm not sure if that is relevant to the premium.

Thanks!
  • Maxpax
    Options
    Hi, any help on this would be greatly appreciated! I understand that there's probably nothing can be done, but I need to ask the question.

My roof started leaking very badly all of a sudden yesterday, due to extreme rainfall. When I called my buildings and contents insurance provider, I was told my policy had been cancelled in Nov 2015 but they couldn't see why and I would have to wait until customer services was open to speak to them. I've done that today, and it turns out my policy expired Nov 2014! The reasons I was unaware was 1. I never received a cancellation/renewal letter (although one was apparently sent out - email, anyone?) 2. I successfully made a claim in Feb 2015 i.e. after the policy had expired. I thought the policy had auto-renewed for the next year and would continue auto-renewing, and expected to be told then if the policy was no longer valid.

With some digging it turns out the reason I was able to make that claim was because the original damage had occurred during the period of my policy, despite the fact I didn't phone until after it had expired - I had no idea this was possible! When I quoted my policy number no-one mentioned that it was no longer in date and all carried on as normal.

I know I made an assumption, but it was really misleading for me. Of course they say that none of their departments speak to each other or understand how any other department works.

Is there anything I can do? Is there a company that will allow me to take out insurance and cover me for damage that occurred yesterday? I know the RAC will provide car breakdown cover even if you're already broken down, as long as you take out a year long policy with them.

Thanks for any advice.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,

I am shortly going to be moving into a new warehouse conversion and am looking for some reasonably priced personal property insurance. The property is privately rented directly through the landlord with 6 bedrooms in total. So I just want to insure my own property - essentially just my bedroom, clothes, TV, books, etc and probably my laptop.

I'm looking at comparison sites but if anyone has any recent recommendations of good coverage please let me know. It seems to be tough to specifically pick a 'warehouse' property on most sites, I'm not sure if that is relevant to the premium.

Thanks!

Try Endsleigh
  • dacouch
    Options
    The damage to your roof is unlikely to be covered by any type of Home Insurance as it sounds like it's just a wear and tear issue eg it needs maintaining.

Home Insurance covers "Storm" damage eg winds (typically) over 55mph, heavy rain without strong winds tends to just highlight poorly maintained roofs
  • winniethewitch
    Options
    We own a house but its up for sale. Its on a hill so had to move into rented sheltered housing. Till the house is sold, we still need to insure the building and we also need to insure the contents on our current rented home, a bungalow. Can we still claim dual home and contents policy deals or must we pay the higher cost of single insurance for each. It does not seem fair to me. I also assume the cost for the other house will be higher as its unoccupied.
  • SLZ
    SLZ Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone had experience with Lloyds for home insurance? My insurance is coming to an end with HSBC and I'm rather peeved that I can't make a claim on something I thought was covered and looking around Lloyds seems to be quite good for what I'm looking for (and the 20% discount doesn't hurt).

I did look at Hiscox as well but for some reason they can't quote me (possibly due to no no-claims until renewal when I'll be back at 1 year). But yes, at Lloyds any good for insurance?
  • dacouch
    Options
    The chances are your declined claim with HSBC (Who use Aviva) would have also been declined by Lloyd's Insurance.

Be aware than Lloyd's are likely to increase your premium next year when you're no longer a "New customer"
  • SLZ
    SLZ Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    The chances are your declined claim with HSBC (Who use Aviva) would have also been declined by Lloyd's Insurance.

Be aware than Lloyd's are likely to increase your premium next year when you're no longer a "New customer"
    It wasn't declined as I wasn't even able to make a claim due to a specified item not actually being specified as I had ensured it would be when I signed up which is why I'm leaving HSBC Insurance as they don't appear to have done their job properly.

Oh really? So assuming I take it and get through the year with a no claims (hopefully making it 2 years total, long time to rebuild :rotfl:) and am still with Club Lloyds they'd whack up my premium, I can live without 20% off but I'd hate a premium to go up with no claims :o
  • dacouch
    Options
    If HSBC made a mistake, you should make an "Official Complaint" which they are duty bound to properly investigate. If you're not happy with their response you can then take it to the Ombudsman
  • cairndog
    cairndog Posts: 226 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have a house parts of which are very old It was converted around 1938 and is of brick/tile construction and not listed.
    We have been with NFU Mutual for the last 2 years and the renewal (due Sept 1st ) is £454.45. This seems expensive but I have nothing to compare it with so can't haggle as I don't have an alternative figure to use. On a small fixed income this is a lot to find.

Can anyone suggest other insurers to try for non-standard properties?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure