02 Retentions thread 2

Options

Comments

• Tromking
    Tromking Posts: 2,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    By making smart !!! comments still doesn't make your deal any better, its still a crap deal.

I`m happy with it and at least my post was relevant to the thread.....oh, and it`s still cheaper than yours!:)
    “Britain- A friend to all, beholden to none”. 🇬🇧
  • Tromking
    Tromking Posts: 2,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    Of course I do. Thanks for pointing it out but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

The whole point of detentions is that the network want to keep you as a customer, surely? If you're being offered a !!!!!! deal then they're not really going to retain you, are they? The sensible thing would be to go to the provider who is offering you the best deal?

Living in rural Devon as I do, the "best deal" has to factor in the fact that some networks (eg. EE) are truly awful around here as regards coverage and signal, many the time I`ve been sat with family and friends and been the only one with a signal! Couple that with my usage levels being on the low side, paying atlantis187`s £15 a month would be a false economy.
    “Britain- A friend to all, beholden to none”. 🇬🇧
  • Celticyo
    Celticyo Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I was just posting to see if I could gain a few opinions on O2 upgrades.

I have been with O2 for 10+ years, and mainly stick with them as they have optimal coverage in my area (rural area).

I currently have a iPhone 4s on a 24 month contract, which is due to end in July 2014. I am paying £27 a month for unlimited calls/texts, with 1GB of data. The contract was initially £37 a month, but after 12 months I negotiated down to £27. This phone was a refurb iphone, and I have had these prevously with no issues

I have had a look on the O2 website, and the only options I can see are the refresh tariffs with a similar rate to previous are the iphone 5s with unlimited calls/texts and 2GB of data with an upfront cost of £50 and then £38 a month.

What sort of deals have people in a similar situation managed to wangle, and is there any possibility of refurb iPhone 5S's on O2. I was under the impression that O2 are now fairly fixed and uncompromising in their Iphone upgrades department compared to previously, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
    James
  • stringer_bell
    stringer_bell Posts: 414 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm on an O2 contract 24 months at £38. My contract ends next month, I usually phone them up and ask for a better deal and I normally get the handset free. I have been with them for 8 years

Are they still offering good deals on retentions? I'm thinking of phoning them up and asking them to cancel me straight away, as Three offer HTC M8 for £35 with an £18 upfront cost. I'm not sure o2 will match that.

Any tips?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you need a new phone ?

Can get a sim only plan for say £10 (an example, depends on your usage) and save up the extra to get a new phone in a years time or 18 months.
  • stringer_bell
    stringer_bell Posts: 414 Forumite
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Do you need a new phone ?

Can get a sim only plan for say £10 (an example, depends on your usage) and save up the extra to get a new phone in a years time or 18 months.

Yeah I would like a new phone
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm thinking of phoning them up and asking them to cancel me straight away,

One thing to note is that if you cancel straight away you will still have to pay a month. As only your minimum term is coming to an end and not your contract. You will need to give 30 days notice to cancel without charge.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • dutchcloggie
    dutchcloggie Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe play more hardball? My contract with Orange is up and I have been with them for 10 years. I want to move to a SIM only contract and rang them to ask for a PAC code so I could port my number to Virgin Media, where I get a discount for being a broadband customer. The first person on the phone simply put me through to the PAC issuing people and I thought: they are not offering me anything to stay and I wanted to terminate the call as I was not sure I should cancel on an impulse :-)

But then I spoke to a lady who was lovely and offered me a monthly rolling contract. 2000 minutes, unlimited text, free landlines and 1GB of data. For only £13.50 per month. I now pay £31 for 400 minutes, 750mb and unlimited texts on a 24 months deal. So I said Thank you and took the deal. Now I can still move elsewhere if I want as I am not bound by a contract, but in the mean time I have a nice cheap deal instead of continuing my current contract for £31 per month.

I think the trick is not to say you want a different phone but that you want to leave because you can get the phone you want elsewhere on a much better deal. Maybe if you call O2 and lay out exactly what you can get elsewhere, they can match that or not. If they don't, you can just leave, if they do, it saves you the hassle of porting your number etc.
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd been with O2 for 10+ years. Earlier this year I paid off my phone (had a refresh contract) and called O2 because I wanted a sim only contract.

I told them I'd seen tescos £10 per month for 1000mins. 5000txt and 1gb of data.

They said they couldn't match that but would offer me similar. Their offer? 300mins. Unlimited txt and 100mb of data for £13 a month. They wondered why I actually laughed out loud. Needless to say I'm not with O2 anymore.

My friend called two days ago quoting a virgin media deal and was offered exactly the same as I was. Again, she's no longer with O2.

Basically. In my experience O2 are no longer bothering to try and keep customers.
    Sigless
  • Leannee_20
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I have a contract with o2 which is due for upgrade in a couple of weeks. I cutrently have an iPhone 4s and I have been paying around £40 pm.
    When I took the contract out it was around £31 but then with vat and x1 price increase each year it has become extremely costly. I am running out of internet each month.
    I have found a deal online for a 5s and I am planning on calling o2 and haggling when my upgrade is due. Just wondered if anhone had an advice from past experiences with them.
    Thnakyou in advance :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport