02 Retentions thread 2

Options

Comments

• gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    slickers1 wrote: »
    Hi Gunsandbanjos, i spoke with 02 myself today and they said they do not do the sim only £9 a month with what you quoted.The best i was offered was £13 a month for sim only that is,1000mins, Unlimited texts and 1gb data.Could you tell me where you got the £9 quote please, was it a third party?Many thanks in advance.Regards

It was a retention deal to keep me as a customer. I got it directly by phoning O2.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • wolf12
    wolf12 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Kal wrote: »
    Just got a deal on an iPhone 5c 8gb. Got £69.99 off the upfront cost meaning zero payable and a £23 a month contract. Also got free 02 to 02 and landline calls.

Hi Kal, what did you get for this offer? minutes, text, data?

Due an upgrade this month, currently have an iphone 4s and was looking to pay no more than £25.00pm, hopefully get a new iphone.
  • marchhair
    Options
    I have just spoken to O2 retentions and can confirm what others have said on this forum (in another thread I can't locate now). As their posts were a few years old I thought it might be useful to have an update.

I am a very long standing O2 customer and on an old, unlimited data tariff they have repeatedly tried to get me to relinquish. I never found the sales people very helpful as they just seemed to want to push one of their offers / a middle range new phone on me (when I already have a top end, privately bought one) rather than listening to my actual needs.

I recently realised how much less I could pay for what I actually use on giffgaff, and thus actively approached Retentions, explaining I wanted to get a similarly good deal or else my PAC.

The person was helpful and polite but told me their comparable deals would cost a lot more so I'd probably be best off going with giffgaff. So that's what Ill be doing.

I gather from my partner's experience that Vodafone operate very differently. He did the same, quoting the giffgaff offer, and Vodafone did not just match it but improve on it by offering a monthly tariff £1 cheaper than giffgaff (just £11!) with the same allowances and throwing in free Spotify or SKY Sports access!

Bit of a bummer - bye bye O2!
    I do like the sound and ethos of gifgaff though, so I'm looking forward to being their customer and hope the running of the acount/customer services won't be a headache.
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    marchhair wrote: »
    I have just spoken to O2 retentions and can confirm what others have said on this forum (in another thread I can't locate now). As their posts were a few years old I thought it might be useful to have an update.

I am a very long standing O2 customer and on an old, unlimited data tariff they have repeatedly tried to get me to relinquish. I never found the sales people very helpful as they just seemed to want to push one of their offers / a middle range new phone on me (when I already have a top end, privately bought one) rather than listening to my actual needs.

I recently realised how much less I could pay for what I actually use on giffgaff, and thus actively approached Retentions, explaining I wanted to get a similarly good deal or else my PAC.

The person was helpful and polite but told me their comparable deals would cost a lot more so I'd probably be best off going with giffgaff. So that's what Ill be doing.

I gather from my partner's experience that Vodafone operate very differently. He did the same, quoting the giffgaff offer, and Vodafone did not just match it but improve on it by offering a monthly tariff £1 cheaper than giffgaff (just £11!) with the same allowances and throwing in free Spotify or SKY Sports access!

Bit of a bummer - bye bye O2!
    I do like the sound and ethos of gifgaff though, so I'm looking forward to being their customer and hope the running of the acount/customer services won't be a headache.

Since giffgaff are Owned by O2 they really aren't bothered if you leave their main network for their MVNO network. You may have had more luck had you not told them you were leaving O2 for O2. They get the cash either way. Giffgaff don't have customer service. Just the forum. So no number to call if you have any issues.

It seems to work for those who use it though so I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Sigless
  • pennymakespounds
    Options
    Don't seem to be able to find any current thread on what sort of deals o2 are offerring when you come to end of contract .

Nearly finished 2 years on a 200 mins + unlim text at £15 ... expecting to get more minutes and some data now .. for less money .. is it as it used to be .. ring o2 and start haggling / threatening to leave ?

thanks
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    IMO, sorry to say (especially as I'm with O2) they seem to be the worst at customer retentions, their deals are more expensive when compared like for like against other services and they don't do an awful lot to try to keep customers. I like to believe it's because they offer a better service (at least in my experience this proved to be true) but there's nothing wrong with trying.

Even if you go in with the line "I was about to leave and I thought I'd ask if you had any better deals than the one I am on/can match a deal I've seen elsewhere" and they turn around and say "sorry, no" you can always 'change your mind' and decide to stay if you want to, ignore any pride that says otherwise. Customers are allowed to be as fickle as they want as long as we stay within the rules ;)
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't seem to be able to find any current thread on what sort of deals o2 are offerring when you come to end of contract .

Nearly finished 2 years on a 200 mins + unlim text at £15 ... expecting to get more minutes and some data now .. for less money .. is it as it used to be .. ring o2 and start haggling / threatening to leave ?

thanks

I don't know, but I can imagine that margins have become tighter and there isn't much room for them to do other than their SIM only offers to anyone.

There is a 15% discount on SIM only offers at the moment, and it sounds like you'd be ok on one at £8.92 a month, 300 minutes, 300 MB, unlimited tests

But look around, as other networks may be a bit cheaper, and you can easily move your number across.
  • Topper1900
    Options
    O2 are in the process of being taken over by 3 (I doubt that'll be good for customer service/UK based call centres) so I doubt that they are that interested in keeping customers, they can leave 3 to worry about that in a few months time!
  • o_c99
    o_c99 Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My o2 contract's due to expire and I'm going to switch to a SIM-only deal. Has anybody had any success with o2 retentions in getting a good deal?
  • jb66
    jb66 Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Giffgaff is not bad
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts