Options

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 June 2014 at 9:56PM
    Options
    Leannee_20 wrote: »
    I have a contract with o2 which is due for upgrade in a couple of weeks. I cutrently have an iPhone 4s and I have been paying around £40 pm.
    When I took the contract out it was around £31 but then with vat and x1 price increase each year it has become extremely costly.
    Unless it's a business contract, the price quoted always includes VAT. The last VAT increase was in 2011.
    Over two years the price could rise no more than by ~5%, i.e. ~£1.50.
    I have found a deal online for a 5s and I am planning on calling o2 and haggling when my upgrade is due. Just wondered if anhone had an advice from past experiences with them.
    02 Retentions thread 2

IMO the only haggling power you have (if any) is when your minimum term is close to expire and when you can leave, not when you are "due for upgrade"
  • Leannee_20
    Options
    Slightly confused. So am I right or wrong in thinking that would be within a month of my upgrade date?
    Thank you for your help and advice
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't know. Pretty often upgrading is available well before the minimum term expires.
    To terminate the contract without fees you have to give a notice (or request a PAC) a month before the minimum term ends. Only at this point you can expect that they can offer you some decent deal to retain you.
  • cameronblack_exp
    Options
    Contract due for renewal at the end of the month. Currently pay £12/month for 250GB 500mins and unlimited texts with Galaxy Ace but spend £15-£20 a month.

Anyone had any recent experience of dealing with o2 renewals/ retentions?

Would quite like a decent phone and more mins and GBs but don't want to pay more than £15 a month max.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Contract due for renewal at the end of the month. Currently pay £12/month for 250GB 500mins and unlimited texts with Galaxy Ace but spend £15-£20 a month.

Anyone had any recent experience of dealing with o2 renewals/ retentions?

Would quite like a decent phone and more mins and GBs but don't want to pay more than £15 a month max.

I take it you mean MB not GB :)

o2 aren't renowned for their great retention offers so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

What do you mean by "decent gb (mb)"? At the moment you are getting a pretty piddly allowance, but depending on what you use your phone for, it will be enough for some people. DO you usually use it up each month?
    With your limited budget, the best deal for you, IMO, would be the Motorola G (great budget smart phone) with 500 mins, txts and 500 mb of data for £12.50 a month with Tesco Mobile.

You can increase the mins to 750 (and the data to 1gb) but this will push your price up to £17.50 a month

If you like the look fo this, ask o2 if they can match this deal (if they offer this handset) and if they say no, ask for your PAC and jump ship.

word of advice, get yourself clued up on phones before accepting any offers o2 may make you. providers will sing a handsets praises and tell you how great it is, not because it is, but shock horror, because they are cheap models they want to shift!
  • cameronblack_exp
    Options
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    I take it you mean MB not GB :)

o2 aren't renowned for their great retention offers so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

What do you mean by "decent gb (mb)"? At the moment you are getting a pretty piddly allowance, but depending on what you use your phone for, it will be enough for some people. DO you usually use it up each month?
    With your limited budget, the best deal for you, IMO, would be the Motorola G (great budget smart phone) with 500 mins, txts and 500 mb of data for £12.50 a month with Tesco Mobile.

You can increase the mins to 750 (and the data to 1gb) but this will push your price up to £17.50 a month

If you like the look fo this, ask o2 if they can match this deal (if they offer this handset) and if they say no, ask for your PAC and jump ship.

word of advice, get yourself clued up on phones before accepting any offers o2 may make you. providers will sing a handsets praises and tell you how great it is, not because it is, but shock horror, because they are cheap models they want to shift!

Thanks for this.

I'll probably just take Galaxy Ace 3 for £13.99 with 500GB and 500 Mins with EE through mobiles.co.uk if O2 won't offer me anything decent.

I've heard O2 aren't great at retentions but I just wondered if anyone had any recent experiences with them
  • Olduserpasswordforgot
    Options
    Reading this Thread it does not look good for me in a few weeks as i wanted to get the LG G2 for around 20-22 squid per month. :-(
  • 19lottie82
    Options
    Thanks for this.

I'll probably just take Galaxy Ace 3 for £13.99 with 500GB and 500 Mins with EE through mobiles.co.uk if O2 won't offer me anything decent.

I've heard O2 aren't great at retentions but I just wondered if anyone had any recent experiences with them

That's a decent desk but the moto is a far superior handset.
  • 19lottie82
    edited 7 August 2014 at 10:47PM
    Options
    Reading this Thread it does not look good for me in a few weeks as i wanted to get the LG G2 for around 20-22 squid per month. :-(

Mobiles dot co dot uk have a deal @£23 a month

Link won't work here for so e reason

If O2 won't match, cancel and take out a new contract
  • cameronblack_exp
    Options
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    That's a decent desk but the moto is a far superior handset.

Thanks. I'll check out the reviews
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport