02 Retentions thread 2

Options

Comments

• db21111
    Options
    I'm finally out of contract so i'm after the iPhone 6. I'm with o2 and i'd rather stay put. I'd love to still be paying max 26 a month, texts and minutes are unlimited and 1gb data is just about enough for me. But, I fear the iPhone 6 64gb that I want will push my monthly price up unless i buy outright.

So come 19th, i'm looking forward to the graph being on this site so I can pore over the options I will have. I know it won't be cheap but i'm gonna keep an eye on this site as every time I go to upgrade, I find the best advice here.

I imagine i'll be speaking to retentions, but if you guys have any good thoughts, i'm sure i'm not the only one interested to hear!

i will fix the 5 and sell it on to offset the expense.

I do have a separate beef with Apple.. the battery was duff after the 1year warranty, i had it changed 3rd party as it was cheaper and it was a great place. Apple won't touch the phone after somebody else has, now my serial number shows it qualifies under the battery problem issue they admitted too grr.

I wasn't even aware of this policy. When I went in store originally they said £55 (iirc) so I said i'll go elsewhere and they said ok. They didn't say "If you go elsewhere we will know longer help you" effectively divorcing my phone. I imagine that information is buried in some small print. I am quite annoyed they didn't warn me, or use that as a selling point to get me to have it done instore.

So I'll need to get the iPhone 5 power connector fixed, it just has a small hole, needs replacing but it's a fiddly job. As Apple won't touch phones that have been through 3rd party places, I'll get the local 3rd party expert to do it and it'll be as new again!

To be fair i've been using normally it ever since. It just won't rotate and i have to use an accessibility feature to mute and lock screen
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    db21111 wrote: »
    I'm finally out of contract so i'm after the iPhone 6. I'm with o2 and i'd rather stay put. I'd love to still be paying max 26 a month, texts and minutes are unlimited and 1gb data is just about enough for me. But, I fear the iPhone 6 64gb that I want will push my monthly price up unless i buy outright

Sorry to be blunt, but there is more chance of hell freezing over. :(

You will be offered the same deals that are on the website, nothing better.

The iphone 6 will push you way over £26 a month, even if you buy outright.

The cheapest way to do it is, Handset = £639 . Cheapest Sim for your needs is Giff Gaff - 500 mins (if this will suffice), texts and 1 GB data. £10 a month

639 + (10 X 24) / 24 = £36.63 pcm over a 24 month term
  • db21111
    db21111 Posts: 204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    Sorry to be blunt, but there is more chance of hell freezing over. :(

You will be offered the same deals that are on the website, nothing better.

The iphone 6 will push you way over £26 a month, even if you buy outright.

The cheapest way to do it is, Handset = £639 . Cheapest Sim for your needs is Giff Gaff - 500 mins (if this will suffice), texts and 1 GB data. £10 a month

639 + (10 X 24) / 24 = £36.63 pcm over a 24 month term

Thanks, sounds about right to me. As in, I expected as much. Thanks for the cheapest option summary too!
  • funnelweb
    Options
    o2 have offered me a deal of £16 a month for unlimited minutes, text and 2GB of data, deducting £4 as a loyalty discount.

I have seen EE have that exact same deal on via uSwitch but difference is you get a £50 Amazon gift voucher.

Now I have always preferred o2 as I have found their CS to be better. The o2 priority apps is okayish although not sure if the amount I use amounts to £50 at the end of 12 months (probably more in the regions of £12 worth of good used in a year).

I'm not sure what I should do? Stick with o2 (is it even a good deal) or jump ship to EE so I can get the gift voucher?

I'm worried the voucher is making me greedy to ship to EE in which case I might suffer at the hands of their CS! (I was previously with T-mob also, even when it switched to EE and they were an absolute nightmare).

I'm not sure what to do. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
  • scarletjim
    Options
    Not a lot of activity on this thread recently - I was hoping to read some very recent stories (successes or failures) regarding retention attempts...

My contract expires on 30th Jan. 2 years ago I somehow got an HTC One X with 500 mins, Unl texts and 500MB data for £16.50pm (undercutting everyone else by about £11pm at the time - perhaps it was a mistake?). Now I'm not sure whether I'd even be 'upgrading' at all if I took a sub-£18pm monthly contract, would the new phone just be an inferior replacement for my existing phone? Do they often give discounts on their Sim-only deals? That would save me a few quid for a few months while I consider what to do at least...
  • llyamah
    llyamah Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all. Three years ago I left o2 to move to giffgaff (which runs on the o2 network). You should check out their 'goodybag' monthly deals on their website - you'll get much better value (e.g. £10 per month for 500 mins and 1GB Internet).

The reason why I'm back on this thread is because my sister's contract is up for renewal, so I'm looking to see what she can get. By the looks of it, she will move to giffgaff too.

If you are referred to giffgaff via an existing member, you'll get £5 credit applied to your account too (as will the member). PM me if you'd like my referral link, although there is an existing thread on this here.
  • scarletjim
    scarletjim Posts: 561 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone been offered a 'loyalty discount' recently? I phoned up the other day, and moaned at my upgrade place, saying that I could get it cheaper to buy the handset separately and take a SIM-only deal from GiffGaff or even TalkMobile (perish the thought!) and they offered me a £3pm loyalty discount - is that the standard offer? Has anyone been offered more / less?
  • Kal
    Kal Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    Just got a deal on an iPhone 5c 8gb. Got £69.99 off the upfront cost meaning zero payable and a £23 a month contract. Also got free 02 to 02 and landline calls.
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Spoke with O2 today as my contract ended a few days ago. I just bought an iPhone 6 outright so wanted a SIM only deal, got offered unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 2GB of data for £9.00 a month.
    Is that reasonable? I thought it was ok so agreed to it.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • slickers1
    Options
    Spoke with O2 today as my contract ended a few days ago. I just bought an iPhone 6 outright so wanted a SIM only deal, got offered unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 2GB of data for £9.00 a month.
    Is that reasonable? I thought it was ok so agreed to it.

Hi Gunsandbanjos, i spoke with 02 myself today and they said they do not do the sim only £9 a month with what you quoted.The best i was offered was £13 a month for sim only that is,1000mins, Unlimited texts and 1gb data.Could you tell me where you got the £9 quote please, was it a third party?Many thanks in advance.Regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure