Options

Comments

• merchcon55
    merchcon55 Posts: 302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 November 2023 at 3:39PM
    Options
    slimgym said:
    My experience is that the 200MB monthly allowance is also discontinued. Your account received a one-time 100MB Starter Data Pack but once that is used, you will need to purchase a Data Pack.
    How did you know you got the 100MB? My SIM is showing "There are no allowances & benefits to show". If I go in to "View Usage" it shows data coming off as 'included' and my balance doesn't go down as I use the data but I've no idea how much is left.

Today one of my 3 SIMs would not connect to internet. I looked at my usage, which included a 70mB use and then a bunch of small data usages. In total as of 02:44 14 November it was 102,400KB which is exactly 100mB

Just to be sure it was not a network or phone issue, I removed the SIM and used a 2nd data SIM I have - which immediately worked on the internet.

So it does appear it is only 100mB - whether or not it is a "Starter Data Pack" or not I do not know. Whether the SIM will receive another 100mB in the next 30 days, again no idea.

I had no funds on this account, so when the 100mB was used, I was not charged for additional usage - the SIM simply failed to connect to the internet.

Perhaps someone with funds can let us know if after they reached 100mB if they started to be charged for data usage.

I did not receive any text message letting me know that I no longer had any data.

• slimgym
    slimgym Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 November 2023 at 11:18AM
    Options
    Last night did some data and lost 20p in balance. Waited a few hours but no usage showed under data and the balance was still down 20p. This morning my balance has gone back up by the 20p and the 5746 kbytes used is showing up as 'included'.  I saw the same happen last week but thought I must have been going mad. I have no idea what if any data allowance is remaining - it says "There are no allowances & benefits to show"
  • Phones4Chris
    Options
    I thought I'd come looking to see if many others had similar experiences to mine, and it seems to be the case.
    I first smelled a rat when they said they were doing "system changes" and upgraded the App and after I managed to log into the new one the 200MB was missing, it was the same logging in via a web browser, although initially some "functionality" was missing from the App, that seems to have been rectified in the last day or two.
    I'd previously phoned to complain about the missing 200MB and was told I'd have to top up and then the 200MB would appear. I asked why, as I had credit on the account, he didn't know. I haven't topped up and in any event this was incorrect. I've since been informed that the 200MB Data Reward Plan is no longer on the system!!
    southone said:
    My experience is that the 200MB monthly allowance is also discontinued. Your account received a one-time 100MB Starter Data Pack but once that is used, you will need to purchase a Data Pack.

You may want to print this off as the ombudsman would be very interested if what you're saying is true
    Why would the ombudsman care? Three are at liberty to suspend the free data allowance whenever they like. From the link you've posted:

Right to withdraw - Three reserves the right to withdraw or amend the offer of 200MB free data each month at any time.

It's not just the free allowance, the tariff charges have also changed from 3p/min to 35p/min etc.
    I'd certainly agree that it would have been good customer relations (and just polite) to give Reward SIM users notice of the free data allowance removal and the tariff increases but I don't believe that Three are under any obligation to do so.

The Reward SIM is (was) a pure PAYG service, no contractual obligation as to the level of service or the cost thereof has been entered into by either party.

I haven't bothered to check all the T&Cs (previous experience tells me they are voluminous and tortuous to follow) but I'd be surprised if anything there contradicts my assumptions

Well on this you are wrong. I suggest you do go and check the Ts&Cs they frequently mention giving 30 days notice, especially the most recent ones, here's one quote "we will notify you of such changes at least 30 days in advance of such proposed changes taking place (which shall be no more frequently than once per month)"

Judging by the other posts here, no-one received a text/email/letter about the changes, never mind with 30 days notice and they still haven't even updated the Price Guides  https://www.three.co.uk/terms-conditions/price-guides/latest-price-guides

Appreciate your input, and you're probably correct that they are not liable. However, their small print cannot protect them from customers leaving the network after having been treated so inconsiderately. It always confuses me why companies spend so much on marketing to attract new customers, yet have no qualms about existing customers leaving. 🤷‍♂️
    Any customers they might be losing because of this action would be generating next to sod-all revenue. Probably saved considerably more by removing an entire level of tariff support and billing from the infrastructure.

My less than a fiver balance on each of two secondary phones has lasted for more than two years. Probably last another couple unless Three turn them off altogether.
    Well some revenue is better than none! And also you'll need to watch out on your last remark as they've now introduced the standard 180 day top-up or chargeable usage condition that other providers have had for yonks!
  • Phones4Chris
    Options
    Meant to include a comment about usage and charges
    slimgym said:
    Last night did some data and lost 20p in balance. Waited a few hours but no usage showed under data and the balance was still down 20p. This morning my balance has gone back up by the 20p and the 5746 kbytes used is showing up as 'included'.  I saw the same happen last week but thought I must have been going mad. I have no idea what if any data allowance is remaining - it says "There are no allowances & benefits to show"
    I'd sent two texts since smelling the rat, my balance didn't go down, one a week or so ago before I complained, they confirmed my balance was indeed what was showing in the App. Hmm, system issue I wondered!. I then sent one on the 22nd Nov. My balance didn't go down then either! I sent one a few hours ago and got charged 15p. All the texts were showing in Usage, the first two as included! I've since tried a minute amount of data usage, a few kilobytes, and that's currently showing as "included"/ I think I'll tinker with a bit more data usage later to see what happens, but won't be making any calls at 35p/min !
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,637 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 25 November 2023 at 11:33AM
    Options
    My less than a fiver balance on each of two secondary phones has lasted for more than two years. Probably last another couple unless Three turn them off altogether.
    Well some revenue is better than none! And also you'll need to watch out on your last remark as they've now introduced the standard 180 day top-up or chargeable usage condition that other providers have had for yonks!
    Can you link to your source for the 180 day top-up change please? Using the phone at least every couple of months is not a problem, topping-up (minimum used to be £2/3?, is it now £10?) might well be.
  • alanjones60
    Options
    As promised, today iv used 70998 kbytes of data, and been charged 65p.
    So my free allowance did not renew,so as soon as iv used my bit of credit,which wont take long now,im ditching three.

So now il be using RWG as my main number,and put my old 02 classic sim in my other slot which is still 3p a min 2p a text and 1p per mb.

In reply to a question on here, it is now £5 min top up on three. It used to be £2
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    As promised, today iv used 70998 kbytes of data, and been charged 65p.
    So my free allowance did not renew,so as soon as iv used my bit of credit,which wont take long now,im ditching three.

So now il be using RWG as my main number,and put my old 02 classic sim in my other slot which is still 3p a min 2p a text and 1p per mb.

In reply to a question on here, it is now £5 min top up on three. It used to be £2
    Thanks for min top-up confirmation. I'll be following you down the RWG/O2 Classic route soonest. FWIW you could get any remaining credit from Three after switching, according to blurb here.

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch. Here's what you wanted to know:

You've got £n.nn cash credit left. We can refund your cash credit and unused Data Pack allowances after you switch, but you'll need to contact us within 90 days. If you'd like to claim a refund, please get in touch.

I'm going to try switching a 3DR to an O2 Classic and see how easy it is to extract the few quid credit residual.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    Well on this you are wrong. I suggest you do go and check the Ts&Cs they frequently mention giving 30 days notice, especially the most recent ones, here's one quote "we will notify you of such changes at least 30 days in advance of such proposed changes taking place (which shall be no more frequently than once per month)"
    Well I'm quite happy to accept that (in your opinion) I'm wrong.

If you feel you have been unfairly treated by having some free/cheap stuff taken away without notice then make a formai complaint. 

Good luck.
  • Phones4Chris
    Options
    Can you link to your source for the 180 day top-up change please? Using the phone at least every couple of months is not a problem, topping-up (minimum used to be £2/3?, is it now £10?) might well be.
    As mentioned by alanjones60, the minimum top-up is now £5.
    It was 180 days Chargeable usage OR Top-up. Sorry if my comment wasn't clear enough.
    I was told about the 180 days when I phoned.

There's this document -

https://www.three.co.uk/content/dam/threedigital/terms-and-conditions/paym-and-payg/payg-terms-and-conditions-effective-from-8-november-2023.pdf
    Which says Pay As You Go Terms and Conditions for using the Three network
    and it talks about "Device/Devices" and also mentions "a 4G or 5G router", also 
     "If you have a Device, other than a phone"  . So the implications appears to mean anything using the 3 network!
    Para.10.2.(b) mentions a 6 month period rather than 180 days!

However, I'm not sure if it only seems to apply to PAYG Voice from other documents -

https://www.three.co.uk/content/dam/threedigital/terms-and-conditions/pay-as-you-go/payginfo/contract-summary-payg-mobile-broadband-from-18-sept-2023.pdf
    https://www.three.co.uk/content/dam/threedigital/terms-and-conditions/pay-as-you-go/payginfo/contract-summary-payg-voice-from-18-sept-2023.pdf

See the section -
    Duration, renewal and termination

So it's seems to be as clear as mud, and can one can't rely on all the information they tell you on the phone !!
    In any event, I don't have a problem with making a chargeable event within any 180 day period on any of their services as I have PAYG Voice as well as PAYG MBB.

• Phones4Chris
    Options
    Well I'm quite happy to accept that (in your opinion) I'm wrong.

If you feel you have been unfairly treated by having some free/cheap stuff taken away without notice then make a formai complaint. 

Good luck.
    If you choose to ignore all the 30 day notice statements, that's obviously your choice as you seem to know everything else.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback