New Post Advanced Search

NST 07/2018 - Survive July!

edited 2 July 2018 at 2:58PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
466 replies 35.7K views

Replies

• crazy_cat_ladycrazy_cat_lady Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evening all :hello:
    Whoever does run August - I'm in. Spendiest month of the year for me and so easy to get out of control with it. Couple of quiet, jammie days for me as well, though today was forced quiet as I was poorly. I'm feeling better now, but very old. Just assembled some flatpack furniture and I am massively out of shape - must make it a priority to get some exercise into my life again.
    Today I'm grateful for the weather being a lot cooler, for getting some time to myself and for not having work tomorrow. Plus it's another day closer to payday.
    NST January #24 NSD = 10
    Working hard to pay off my debt
    Time to take back control
  • mothernerdmothernerd Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks misstara looking forward to it.

We did not get our rain until late yesterday - very welcome. Rained this morning then cleared up but it was lovely and cool and much easier to actually move round the house. Started on my room yet again - checking each box and working out if there is any room and what other items could go in that section. There may be a more radical reshuffle at a later date but for now I need everything not in daily use to be 'away'.

Was working well. Decided to tackle my wall poster before taking a break - it wasn't quite right when I first did it and it's been coming away at the far side and getting worse (haven't fixed it because I have to squeeze past the end of the bed). Done this manoeuvre several times and I fit but magnificent bosum has managed to sweep things off.

Pulled out my craft tool box to get the large square sticky tabs. Put it on top of a file box (struggling with 'on the floor'). Just started on the poster and the box slid off (slight dent in the file box made it slope, just slightly, but enough for the weight of the toolbox to pull itself off. Of course it's upside down (well sideways) and all the neatly filed pens/ tapes/ sequins (boxed thankfully) and assorted bits and bobs have been released.

Nearly cried but resorted to chocolate. Asked DS3 to scoop it up off the floor so I can sort it - he delegated the job to Beloved. Have done one scoop myself (using a magazine box as a scoop) but resting on the bed now. Arm is really painful and my legs are trembling (must have worked hard) but can't take more painkillers for a while.

Determined to crack on (possibly 2 more hours work) but I can see that I am making a difference and I want to reclaim this room. Over budget in all categories (will do better) but sorting out my priorities atm - healthy eating, lots of exercise, good sleep habits, keep calm and have fun.

Today I am grateful for being able to see the floor (except for the spilled craft stuff), for finding 2 x £20 notes on the far side of the bed, for finding a small pot of hand cream (bought some small size ys toiletries in Whitby. For being well moisturised (have been decanting E45 into a small bottle from a 500g pump - it refused to go in in a long stream and insisted on doing a Mr Whippy so every so often I had to clean up the excess)- thighs benefited the most as they were the most convenient part of me.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST Feb No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • edited 30 July 2018 at 5:52AM
    Eager_ElephantEager_Elephant Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 July 2018 at 5:52AM
    I'm part way through August's challenge if its ok to still do it?

If not I am happy for misstara to do it and I can do September?

Sorry life has been a bit hectic - still adjusting to working full time and running a smallholding as a single person.
  • Toni'sfriendToni'sfriend Forumite
    3.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I didn't sign in last night. Had terrible problems trying to log in and change my password. All sorted now.
    NSD no 19. Apart from that not much happening but lots to do today so better get on with it.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • laurenh1laurenh1 Forumite
    756 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi all -Just checking in!

Today wont be a NSD as we need milk. I am going to couple this with going YS shopping tonight - hoping to get some meat to stick in the freezer.

We had so much fun yesterday even though is hammered it down, but I do need to retract that NSD as I stopped on the way home for hot chocolate & squirty cream. However it was a fraction of the price of stopping at the cafe which we were definitely tempted to do.

I am working again today - boo! but hub is taking the boys to their play group :T Really pleased
    with my hub taking them while I am in work- it isn't really his thing but the boys love it & it's free!

Not much else going on! Have a fab Monday all
  • misstaramisstara Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    EE - I haven't started writing the challenge so go for it and I'll do September :)
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £0
    Debt Feb 2020: Credit card - £607.09. Now £0
    Car - £4992.88. Now £3231.04 (35.3% paid)
    Emergency fund - £814.17/£1000. Car fund - £422.11/£1000.
    Flat deposit - £306.03/£15,000 (2% saved).
  • greentgreent Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ooof! I've got a NSD in the school hols - almost unheard of here! :rotfl: I did spend £2.90 on parking, but it's reclaimable as expenses, so I'm not including it (will actually get repaid tomorrow)

Not much else achieved here - did take stairs (5 flights) up and down in car park and walk from car park to where I was going was a brisk 10 mins, so that sort of counts as some exercise...!!!8230; :D Leftovers from yesterday for lunch and we are targeting the contents of the fridge big style before going away next week. My mum brought a large bowl of HG tomatoes and a courgette around today, so they will be featuring in the meals! :D

Returned a book lent to me by my mum - finished reading it at 2am..... :o

Thankful for - it not raining whilst I was out earlier (started on drive home - that's ok :)), free tomatoes and courgette, a lie in, no alarm clocks, new bedding (bought last week) arriving today and 2/3 sets looking lovely :T (will return 3rd one)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2021 £145.25/£500 Decluttering 2021: 240/1000
  • Toni'sfriendToni'sfriend Forumite
    3.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Busy day. Bit of cooking, bit of cleaning. Repeat prescription into doctors for signature.
    Spent some money on cards and wrapping paper. My lovely cousin's wedding anniversary at the beginning of next month. We don't normally do that kind of present but it is a special one and I was her bridesmaid. Her wonderful husband has booked a special trip for them to somewhere she's always wanted to go and has orgainised all kinds of special treats for her. The it all went horribly wrong. She was rushed into hospital last week and it's all had to be cancelled so maybe a wee gift will cheer her up. She really is the loveliest person. So kind and thoughtful. It is such a shame but I've told her the city she's was going o has been there for thousands of years and it's not going anywhere anytime soon but such a disappointment.
    We still haven't had any real rain, just a few heavy showers and it's still hot. At least I've managed to get the Boy's washing out and dried.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Kerry_WomanKerry_Woman Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    apple muncher - I got soaked. Did have a mac on but some of the rain still managed to get through. At I still managed to walk it and had music to listen to on me.
    NSD 21/20 Was an NSD today.
    Use - Will definitely be doing this. Still trying to using up things already in.
    Revisit - Am going to set new goals. Made a list of goals and bucket list.
    Vacation - Not going on holiday. Planning to have some days out/experiences. Done 2 days out already. Now planning to make a start on my goals/bucket list. Done 3 things off my bucket list.
    Inspire - Will try.
    Value - Will look into other ways to save for days out etc.
    Every - Have done. Grateful for:
    Got flowers delivered.
    Made plans with a friend to go somewhere to have a meal.
    Chilled out afternoon.
    Doing self-care today.
    Jump - Will definitely do walking as it will help my mental health also. Did not do much only a tiny bit of walking.
    Unless - No need today.
    Lose - Decluttered a few things into the recycling bin near the flat. Also binned a few things and put the rubbish in the communal bins.
    Yearly - Have made a list as to what needs to done or going out trips/experiences/voluntary work for rest of the year.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2021
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST March 2021: a turtle rollercoaster NSD 5/17
  • crazy_cat_ladycrazy_cat_lady Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    More spends today BUT dd is now completely ready to go back to school in September - uniform, PE kit, shoes, bag and undies. DS still needs school jumpers and shoes but is also almost ready. Much better to do it at the beginning of the hols than the end, when it's utterly manic out there.
    Really tired, sleepless night last night. I'm grateful today for my lovely cleaning lady and cheap nightwear from Primarni.
    Can't believe I still had money left the day before payday!
    NST January #24 NSD = 10
    Working hard to pay off my debt
    Time to take back control