Apart from Samaritans is there anyone to speak to?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
87 replies 10K views

Replies

• GlasweJenGlasweJen Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dekaspace there's an autism resource centre based in Abercrombie Street in Bridgeton, never used their services so I don't know how good they are.

There's also a meet-up group, again not sure how active they are but its worth a go. http://www.autismnetworkscotland.org.uk/2013/07/30/glasgow-autism-meet-up-group-welcoming-new-members-now/#

I was diagnosed as a child and pretty much left to get on with it. I have counselling through anxiety UK and CBT through the NHS which I self referred to, the waiting list was shorter for the group course than for individual so I went for that. There's also a mental health library that they can send you things out from.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)

• missbiggles1missbiggles1
    17.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dekaspace wrote: »
    The GPS I have had in the time since then have gone to all extremes, from outright refusing medication and saying I need therapy but none is available due to waiting list, offering me medication but no support, offering me CBT but the therapist saying nothing they can do and just saying get a better sleep pattern and diet, go out more etc and GPs saying exactly the same.

The best doctor I had was the one that prescibed me something, as she was also the one that got me a quick autism assessment, and helped me sign off but wasn't able to arrange support, only moved from that area as had drug dealing neighbour, identity theft at 3 properties over 5 years, illegally evicted twice, every landlord I had in that time refused to pay back deposit.

So I wish I had the doctor and support I had then but in area I live now.

I was thinking of moving to area with better support but I can't handle change, it will be expensive and for the most past I am settled here for first time in years.

If the people you go to for help recommend you do certain things, don't you think that this might be the way forward? What'll you do if you move and your GP/therapist tells you the same thing again?

Nobody has a magic wand, unfortunately.
  • dekaspacedekaspace Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    If the people you go to for help recommend you do certain things, don't you think that this might be the way forward? What'll you do if you move and your GP/therapist tells you the same thing again?

Nobody has a magic wand, unfortunately.

Because its not treating the root of the problem, but at same time my dietician I had for a short while said my actual diet isn't whats the problem its moderation, instead of starving all day and then eating a lot in one go have 3 meals a day.

When you feel bad all the time you don't have the energy to cook and too tired to get out of bed, even if I can get out of bed I feel weak all day so don't want to do anything which in itself makes me feel worse.

I have never had a good day in many years but I have had some ok days at which point I eat less, sleep a little better etc but its hard to tell if its the chicken or the egg,
  • DomRavioliDomRavioli
    3.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Self help is the best way forward. But you need to want to get better, not just say you do.

Try moodgym - its free and online as I mentioned before. You can go back to it whenever you feel crap.
  • tomtontomtomtontom
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Because its not treating the root of the problem, but at same time my dietician I had for a short while said my actual diet isn't whats the problem its moderation, instead of starving all day and then eating a lot in one go have 3 meals a day.

When you feel bad all the time you don't have the energy to cook and too tired to get out of bed, even if I can get out of bed I feel weak all day so don't want to do anything which in itself makes me feel worse.

I have never had a good day in many years but I have had some ok days at which point I eat less, sleep a little better etc but its hard to tell if its the chicken or the egg,

If you're too weak and tired then how are you going to access the support you're asking for? They're not going to come and get you out of bed.

You don't need to cook at every mealtime, make a sandwich or a simple salad with some protein.

You're going to feel like crap if you're just eating a heap of food in one go, physically and mentally.
  • edited 16 June 2016 at 10:15PM
    AndypandyboyAndypandyboy
    2.5K Posts
    edited 16 June 2016 at 10:15PM
    Do you receive benefits for your condition? If so, have you thought about employing someone as a motivator or sounding board? Sometimes we need our minds concentrating, and actually paying someone may do just that, as I assume you would not be happy paying for nothing or paying but not acting on their suggestions?

Additionally, if you want to go to college and need support they will assign you an LSA to help you with your course requirements and be a sounding board for any other issues you may have. You need to tick the relevant box on your enrolment form and you will be seen by someone who can organise support.
  • edited 16 June 2016 at 10:53PM
    dekaspacedekaspace Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 June 2016 at 10:53PM
    tomtontom wrote: »
    If you're too weak and tired then how are you going to access the support you're asking for? They're not going to come and get you out of bed.

You don't need to cook at every mealtime, make a sandwich or a simple salad with some protein.

You're going to feel like crap if you're just eating a heap of food in one go, physically and mentally.

Its partly routine, partly having something to do.

In terms of support in the past I had a local autism group but didn't go that often because it started 9am and lasted 2 hours so to get there for 9am would have to get up 8am, have a shower and rush out, if say it was 2pm-4pm I would go very often as could get agood sleep in, and not rush.

I am not lazy or anything just weak, on the rare chance I do something I do it to excess, its been a few months since I went to the gym but when I did I spent over 2 hours most on treadmill and my heart was racing (so put myself in physical danger)

Even as simple as enjoying a video game, I might not play for weeks or months then one day just clicks in my brain and even if I had next to no sleep night before I would start and not go to bed to early morning 8am sometimes.

But one of biggest things if not the main one for me is sleep, I rarely get a good night sleep be it I wake a lot during night, or can't fall asleep when I want to, I used to have very vivid exciting dreams I still have a large imagination but they are dulled.

So I oversleep as by around waking up time my dreams are starting to get vivid so my body and mind is trying to cling on to that.

A good night sleep makes me refreshed during the day so I can enjoy what I do so feel better that in turn gives me even more good sleep which gives me a good day.
    Do you receive benefits for your condition? If so, have you thought about employing someone as a motivator or sounding board? Sometimes we need our minds concentrating, and actually paying someone may do just that, as I assume you would not be happy paying for nothing or paying but not acting on their suggestions?

Additionally, if you want to go to college and need support they will assign you an LSA to help you with your course requirements and be a sounding board for any other issues you may have. You need to tick the relevant box on your enrolment form and you will be seen by someone who can organise support.

Part of my condition means I like to be thrifty in case I overspend part as I used to have nothing part because I basically want everything I see a bit like a kid.

What worked for me in the past was something like the Princes Trust but not available for someone my age or a youth club but of course again age.
  • tomtontomtomtontom
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're not sleeping then a good start is turning off the computer, and any other technology around you - actually off, not flashing away next to you. If you want to be somewhere at 9am you'll do it.

There's a fine line between being weak willed, having bad habits, and being lazy. You are in danger of crossing it. There's nothing you describe that you can't at least start to help yourself with. Why not make a start by planning three meals for tomorrow? Nothing fancy, an egg or a few pieces of fruit for breakfast maybe?
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    You've obviously identified some of the issues you have, which is a big part of the solution.

One that I identify with is the sleep problems. Mine can be all over the place, when I'm really stressed I don't get to sleep till gone 6am.

I haven't found a solution to those days, but on 'normal' days I've managed to figure out what my natural rhythm is.

I spent a month working it out. I'd go to bed at a 'normal' time, try to sleep, then get up and do something for a bit and try again. Eventually I worked out that I naturally fall asleep between 2am and 4am, and wake up between 11am and 12am, but sometimes need a nap late afternoon or early evening. I need around 10 hour sleep in a 24 hour period. Taking my meds earlier in the evening instead of right before bed helps.

I'm hoping I can find a way of pulling it round to more 'normal' hours.

So obviously I have trouble getting up for morning appointments. This morning I had to be at the hospital before 9am for treatment, and didn't get to sleep till after 5am. I've had to nap a few times.

The one thing that has helped me with waking up is to use a daylight simulating alarm clock. It gently wakes me up before my alarm does. I've slept through it a couple of times, but it's been amazing. It also has a sunset function that helps me relax and get to sleep. I really can't recommend it highly enough. I ignored it a long time after it was suggested to me, because they are expensive. But it's really been worth every penny.

Another thing is working out your best time of day, and doing things then. Mine's about 9pm to about midnight so that's when I do things like emails, paperwork, bits of housework. If you work out your best time of day maybe you could use it to get the next day's food set up? Lay out breakfast, with plates etc, make a sandwich for lunch, decide on dinner.

I have to say food is a problem for me too, it just feels wrong to have breakfast at midday even though my body's telling me it's time to break the fast. It's the next thing I'm going to work on with my therapist.

I think taking one problem at a time and figuring out what works for you is probably the way to go.

(Feel free to ignore my advice, everyone's different)
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • dekaspacedekaspace Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Ames wrote: »
    You've obviously identified some of the issues you have, which is a big part of the solution.

One that I identify with is the sleep problems. Mine can be all over the place, when I'm really stressed I don't get to sleep till gone 6am.

I haven't found a solution to those days, but on 'normal' days I've managed to figure out what my natural rhythm is.

I spent a month working it out. I'd go to bed at a 'normal' time, try to sleep, then get up and do something for a bit and try again. Eventually I worked out that I naturally fall asleep between 2am and 4am, and wake up between 11am and 12am, but sometimes need a nap late afternoon or early evening. I need around 10 hour sleep in a 24 hour period. Taking my meds earlier in the evening instead of right before bed helps.

I'm hoping I can find a way of pulling it round to more 'normal' hours.

So obviously I have trouble getting up for morning appointments. This morning I had to be at the hospital before 9am for treatment, and didn't get to sleep till after 5am. I've had to nap a few times.

Another thing is working out your best time of day, and doing things then. Mine's about 9pm to about midnight so that's when I do things like emails, paperwork, bits of housework. If you work out your best time of day maybe you could use it to get the next day's food set up? Lay out breakfast, with plates etc, make a sandwich for lunch, decide on dinner.

I have to say food is a problem for me too, it just feels wrong to have breakfast at midday even though my body's telling me it's time to break the fast. It's the next thing I'm going to work on with my therapist.

I think taking one problem at a time and figuring out what works for you is probably the way to go.

(Feel free to ignore my advice, everyone's different)

Actually the set time of day too is a little bit of the problem, no matter what I feel like doing during the day only when its late evening does my brain calm down enough to do it but on the other extreme at same time I genuinely don't have the energy to do something then so if I do it I don't get the sense of satisfaction.

Could also be a unwinding thing, if I say I have to be in bed as have a early appointment so get everything done around it so ready at a time that gives me 10 hours sleep and 30 minutes to fall asleep and a hour to get ready in morning I suddenly find I enjoy things better or at least thats the rare time I feel normal so I feel tired but as not stressed I want to do things.

I have NEVER been able to take naps even as a teenager as even if it was for a hour it threw my body clock off and so if I have one now I just sleep without caring about time.

The times of day I can naturally drop off are a totally different time of day that I get a actual relaxing nights sleep.

As I am all over the place plus being autistic I get easily confused even if I know things should be a certain way, if I have a rare good day I may think that i had a good nights sleep the night before and as felt good didn't feel like eating, and conflicting brain processes like stay up late and savour the moment and go to bed and get a good nights sleep but then wasted time I could use on something else, or even saying I feel good so treat myself to a takeaway.

Maybe another way of saying it is I have a lot of things in my system at once, before I was depressed I was just anxious low self esteem but loved life so if something was in my system like going on a night out doing it once got it out of my system, if I wanted a late night once I would do it. if I fancied skiving college I would.

So they were out my system almost as fast as they went in but now I never do anything so it stays in system so I want to do multiple things at once.
    tomtontom wrote: »
    If you're not sleeping then a good start is turning off the computer, and any other technology around you - actually off, not flashing away next to you. If you want to be somewhere at 9am you'll do it.

There's a fine line between being weak willed, having bad habits, and being lazy. You are in danger of crossing it. There's nothing you describe that you can't at least start to help yourself with. Why not make a start by planning three meals for tomorrow? Nothing fancy, an egg or a few pieces of fruit for breakfast maybe?

Before I had depression I was able to get out of bed early, its just the worse the anxiety got the worse the sleep got, in the early years of leaving home sleeping in was 10am or rarely 11am, in bed if not asleep by midnight every day was at college though did skive now and again and also was able to work.

By time I was 21 I wasn't as enthusiastic about life but still enjoying it, was out of bed pretty much every day between 11-12, in bed 2am-3am except the periods I worked when I had different shifts.

The only constant was I always liked to sleep as much as I could and hated getting up but within 10-30 minutes of waking I was peppy and even if I had a choice of going back to bed I wouldn't

What destroyed me was a family member that was murdered and all the Chinese whispers.

And my autism means I need constant simulation so as much as it keeps me awake it also relaxes me in other ways so I hate streaming as I need a flow/routine of shows news etc, silence and no visual cues makes me fall asleep, just as even music even heavy metal makes me sleep as it just blends together.

So even if I can force myself out of bed and get enough sleep the day before I feel weak still.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals