Apart from Samaritans is there anyone to speak to?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
87 replies 10K views

Replies

• AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    Amazon has a monthly plan where you can borrow books at any time of day to read on a tablet. Not all eReaders are backlit so can be easy to read. I have a Kobo which over time I've filled with cheap books that were on offer (about £1 each) so there's always something I fancy.

If the problem is that you can't settle your mind, have you tried Mindfulness? Ruby Wax's Sane New World is a great introduction to it.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • missbiggles1missbiggles1
    17.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dekaspace wrote: »
    I am a member of a library but part of point I was making that I can't tell what I want when I want it (and books take up a lot of space) even in contexts of reading.

Libraries are not 24/7 so would require me to know in advance what I want to read.

You can usually take out half a dozen books which would allow you to cover lots of angles. Even at the maximum number, they wouldn't take up a lot of space in a 2 bedroom flat.
  • tomtontomtomtontom
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am a member of a library but part of point I was making that I can't tell what I want when I want it (and books take up a lot of space) even in contexts of reading.

Libraries are not 24/7 so would require me to know in advance what I want to read.

This is getting silly, you'll use anything to justify your current lifestyle. I've got a stack of library books next to me (allowed 12 at a time), I might only read one of them in the time I have them, and they take up less room than my laptop.

You don't need visual stimulation at 1am. All tv internet etc is going to do is stop you sleeping.
  • edited 19 June 2016 at 7:57PM
    faerielightfaerielight Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    edited 19 June 2016 at 7:57PM
    what about getting some adult colouring books and coloured pencils? It's so absorbing and relaxing.. I thought it was a stupid idea until I tried it.. the ones by Johanna Basford are intricate and magical.: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Ocean-Inky-Adventure-Colouring/dp/0753557150/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1466362572&sr=1-1&keywords=johanna+basford https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Garden-Inky-Treasure-Colouring/dp/1780671067?ie=UTF8&ref_=asap_bc https://www.amazon.co.uk/Enchanted-Forest-Inky-Quest-Colouring/dp/1780674872?ie=UTF8&ref_=asap_bc If you want to get really cheap ones, although they are only a fiver on Amazon, pound shops do some too.
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE :)
  • dekaspacedekaspace Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    tomtontom wrote: »
    This is getting silly, you'll use anything to justify your current lifestyle. I've got a stack of library books next to me (allowed 12 at a time), I might only read one of them in the time I have them, and they take up less room than my laptop.

You don't need visual stimulation at 1am. All tv internet etc is going to do is stop you sleeping.

Go away, you know nothing about autism and comparing me to a regular person.

You fail to understand patterns of logic in my brain

Get some manners and go read up on autism since books take up little space.

You don't understand context either.

If I don't feel like reading then do at 10pm at night how can I go to a library? If I go to a library and don't know what I am looking for how can I take books out?

If I have some books in say sci fi but I want to read a thriller how can I if its late at night?

If I was justifying my lifestyle why would I mention things like a tablet as an alternative.

Get some context and do some research into autism and you will understand.
  • missbiggles1missbiggles1
    17.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go away, you know nothing about autism and comparing me to a regular person.

You fail to understand patterns of logic in my brain

Get some manners and go read up on autism since books take up little space.

You don't understand context either.

If I don't feel like reading then do at 10pm at night how can I go to a library? If I go to a library and don't know what I am looking for how can I take books out?

If I have some books in say sci fi but I want to read a thriller how can I if its late at night?

If I was justifying my lifestyle why would I mention things like a tablet as an alternative.

Get some context and do some research into autism and you will understand.

I really think you ought to stop looking at things as if you're in some way special and then you might take some notice of all the helpful advice you've been offered. It is, after all, only you who can improve your life.

Re the books - if you can take out 6/12 books you have plenty of scope to take out a wide range of genres so that, if you fancy a thriller one evening, you'll have a couple to choose from, as you would if you fancied sci fi, humour, romance or whatever.
    5.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I really think you ought to stop looking at things as if you're in some way special and then you might take some notice of all the helpful advice you've been offered. It is, after all, only you who can improve your life.

Re the books - if you can take out 6/12 books you have plenty of scope to take out a wide range of genres so that, if you fancy a thriller one evening, you'll have a couple to choose from, as you would if you fancied sci fi, humour, romance or whatever.

I DON'T think I am special more than I think everyone in the world is special what I think is people don't understand me.

I also think theres a point where when given advice due to lack of knowledge even with tbe hest intentions is can be incorrect.

And theres an assumption that I haven't already tried a lot of things myself, did the notion not arrive that perhaps I have already tried things like changing sleep pattern, diet, getting multiple books out or whatever.

Saying only I can change my life doesn't take specific things into account.

Do you tell a drug addict to just stop taking drugs and everything will be better or do you do something to treat the root of the problem so that person doesn't need to take drugs?

Its a similar thing here, each time I have tried something it lasts a short time and goes back to the bad ways, and each time it takes longer to attempt again and lasts a shorter time.

In the early years of the issues I remember for example getting up early every day for 3 weeks but feeling weak the whole time, all it took was 1 late night (which then was doing uni work) to break that good cycle and go back to bad ways.

Now even without that 1 thing to break the cycle I just can' do it too long.

To go deeper I did also have external things that created a glitch in my brain, a year after the death I had a mentally ill flatmate who attacked the walls, got drunk after he lost his job, didn't pay rent so we ended up illegally evicted, moved away for uni and had a flatmate who never paid into utilities but had a 2kw heater on in his flat 24/7 even in warm months (reasoning being he was from a hot country) waking me up at 6am some mornings claiming he was skint and needed money to buy petrol to get to work, working up £500 phone bill in my name, moved to large student accomodation when had a manic depressive flatmate who I made the mistake of making friends with who used to get paranoid and use gas from deoderants to get high, other tenant made multiple sets of keys and slept at his girlfriends so his room became a 24/7 party house meaning I dropped out of uni because I never turned up as had no sleep, gained weight as had no energy to cook. ended up the on site warden fiddled the books and claimed I never paid rent and illegaly evicted me.

Tried a fresh start and ended up with another party animal flatmate, landlord stealing deposit as no locks on bedroom doors ended up with identity theft steaing £6000 of money.

Then moved to a property with a drug deaing neighbour who stole giro, letters, parcels, identity theft

And I have far more experiences.

With that in mind is it any wonder I have a fragile state of mind.
  • ConfuseddotConfuseddot Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Play nice :eek: Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get me.:j
    5.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Before I forgot in case people haven't noticed thanks yet is because I only give thanks whena discussion is ended or seems to be (as that in itself gets confused for not listening to advice)
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    what about getting some adult colouring books and coloured pencils? It's so absorbing and relaxing.. I thought it was a stupid idea until I tried it.. the ones by Johanna Basford are intricate and magical.: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Ocean-Inky-Adventure-Colouring/dp/0753557150/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1466362572&sr=1-1&keywords=johanna+basford https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Garden-Inky-Treasure-Colouring/dp/1780671067?ie=UTF8&ref_=asap_bc https://www.amazon.co.uk/Enchanted-Forest-Inky-Quest-Colouring/dp/1780674872?ie=UTF8&ref_=asap_bc If you want to get really cheap ones, although they are only a fiver on Amazon, pound shops do some too.

Seconded, they're amazing. I read the science behind them and it's to do with using a different part of the brain so it gives the chaotic, crowded part a rest to calm down. Or something like that.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides