Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    scarletjim wrote: »
    How 'linked' are the TV and Broadband departments? I've just given my 30 days notice on my TV package - if I now accept an online deal for £10 off fibre unlimited, will that impact any offers on my TV that they might make to me when my TV termination date approaches?

The £10 off does come with a 30 day cooling off period - so technically I could take it now, making the next month £10 cheaper, then cancel it near the end of that 30 day period - but still, would it impact what they might offer me to keep my TV package?

Might as well ask 2nd question too - is £10 off fibre unlimited pretty much as good as it gets for BB / Line rental offers, or have people done any better than that? (Edit: Actually I see above someone has an offer for free line rental - that's considerably better. However I haven't actually cancelled my broadband or line rental, so presumably they won't offer me anything special on that just because my TV termination date is appraching?)

They are separate departments and they generally don't offer you for both at the same time on the phone, I would cancel in your last month and call them a few days later.

I got free line rental and free regular broadband for a year with 50% TV. Not bad tbh.

Almost took the BT fibre before they emailed me the above offer. You can't argue with free.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • scarletjim
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    They are separate departments and they generally don't offer you for both at the same time on the phone, I would cancel in your last month and call them a few days later.

I got free line rental and free regular broadband for a year with 50% TV. Not bad tbh.

Almost took the BT fibre before they emailed me the above offer. You can't argue with free.

Just to be clear, did you cancel your entire subscription, or just your TV, to get that offer? I asked about cancelling broadband, the guy said you can do that if you don't want BB at all any more, but if you want it with another provider then you don't cancel with Sky, the new provider does it. So how did you get your BB / LR offer? Did you just cancel TV, or the whole package? Did your BB/LR offer come along with your TV offer, or did you contact the two departments separately? (I'd happily take the offer you got!). Cheers.
  • csgohan4
    Options
    scarletjim wrote: »
    Just to be clear, did you cancel your entire subscription, or just your TV, to get that offer? I asked about cancelling broadband, the guy said you can do that if you don't want BB at all any more, but if you want it with another provider then you don't cancel with Sky, the new provider does it. So how did you get your BB / LR offer? Did you just cancel TV, or the whole package? Did your BB/LR offer come along with your TV offer, or did you contact the two departments separately? (I'd happily take the offer you got!). Cheers.

I cancelled both, all packages and let it lapse for a few days to a week before offers came in. Cancelled them 30 days before my minimum contract btw.

You can cancel both at the same time, they may try and give you offers there and then, speak to customer retentions.

There are so many other good offers out there, you will have more chance of SKY giving you offers. Vodafone's 25 a month fibre with no line rental is quite interesting and no traffic management.

If you decide to stay you can always reactivate it before your cancel date.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • scarletjim
    scarletjim Posts: 561 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmm I did it this morning but I only cancelled my TV, perhaps that was a mistake. They try to talk you out of cancelling broadband on the basis that you'll probably get it from another supplier via same phone line, but I guess I should have just said I don't care, cancel it, we'll use our mobiles for internet etc. :/

One more question - when you cancel broadband with Sky, does it work the same as TV, in that you can retract that cancellation right up to the day it is terminated? Or with broadband is there a point before cut-off date after which you can't change your mind?

Btw yes I had seen the Vodaphone 'no phone line' one at £25pm. That seems to be about the going rate for most 38MB fibre systems (including discounts) - if there was some kind of additional discount available on the Vodafone one, that might make it very interesting... Though still more expensive than your broadband deal! :)
  • lydriver
    lydriver Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    I cancelled over a month ago....let it get switched off to see if there were any miracle offers...there hasn't been!
    Still getting 50% off for 12 months, offered. Looks like that's standard offer for anyone who actually leaves.
    Only channel I really watched was Fox but already missing Sky+ features and Sky Go..will try the online chat and see what they say.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 August 2016 at 5:36PM
    Options
    I've never been able to get onto online chat, as it has long sessions when it's not available.

The danger with cancelling broadband/phone with no planned takeover will probably incur a termination fee, which goes to Openreach for work at the exchange. The best way is to ask the new company to facilitate the changeover.

Also, cancelled tv can be reinstated immediately, but once broadband and phone have been disconnected you have lost your number at best, as well as facing a wait for reconnection.

They say it normally takes (is it 10 or14 ?) days from notice to transfer, but it has been known for people to be cut off sooner 'by mistake', which cannot be undone.

I have, so far, and will soon, cancel tv with 31 days notice, then look at phone/broadband deals and call Sky two weeks later to see if they will deal. Each time, due to a satisfactory arrangement, I have then asked what tv offer they would like to make (perhaps suggesting one I've seen) and been transferred to that department to tie up loose ends.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    greenery wrote: »
    Did you get what you wanted in your first chat or did you have to cancel your contract first?

Cancelled 1st chat -almost immediately got offered 50% off on webpage; After ~ 2 weeks got an email offering 50% plus £50 bill credit AND in the same email the offer of a new box if I upgraded to Family. Wasn't sure if I would get both offers together. About 1 week later (about 1 week before the TV was due to switch off) I went on Chat first thing in the a.m.
    After about 55 minutes of toing and froing ,I got offer up to 60% plus £50 credit of the existing pack -then I asked about free new HD box -would only do it if I upgraded to Family -I countered with OK but what about a bigger bill credit?? They then offered £100 IF I took the HD pack as well!
    I agreed because final overall price over 12 months (including discounts) was ~ £21.80 pm -same as previous year -but I had HD box,Family and Sports in HD!:)
    Took ~ 75 minutes but well worth it - saved about £540 per annum on standard Sky price:T
  • Discodave
    Discodave Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    we've just moved from BT to SKY ( coming on Sat)

got Variety, Fibre BB, Anytime Calls and LR, half price @ £33.60 a month.

The other half wants Multibox (standard 2nd box), its £12 per month normal price, but i'm thinking I should get it half price.

However, if I was to call/chat to them do you reckon I could get a FREE multiroom box, if I was to say that BT have been back in touch to offer us the same deal.
  • csgohan4
    Options
    Discodave wrote: »
    we've just moved from BT to SKY ( coming on Sat)

got Variety, Fibre BB, Anytime Calls and LR, half price @ £33.60 a month.

The other half wants Multibox (standard 2nd box), its £12 per month normal price, but i'm thinking I should get it half price.

However, if I was to call/chat to them do you reckon I could get a FREE multiroom box, if I was to say that BT have been back in touch to offer us the same deal.

How did you get that offer? Did you speak to them???

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Forwandert
    Forwandert Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would ring sales back and see if they have better offer on for Sky Q which has second box I have multi included in mine. Second 6 months is more expensive but includes box sets too.

What I got is posted in thread below.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5500511
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport