Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• lydriver
    lydriver Posts: 264 Forumite
    edited 24 August 2016 at 5:19PM
    Options
    cancelled about 5 weeks ago...went on web chat today (about a week after it was switched off), got 60% off for 12 months, no contract, so £32 a month for the complete pack

wonder what they'd offer if you cancelled within the discount period
  • Discodave
    Discodave Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    How did you get that offer? Did you speak to them???

used code 5KYMOVE on website
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lydriver wrote: »
    cancelled about 5 weeks ago...went on web chat today (about a week after it was switched off), got 60% off for 12 months, no contract, so £32 a month for the complete pack

wonder what they'd offer if you cancelled within the discount period

Probably nothing as 60% is the best offer that all but a few get (though there can be a cash credit up to £100).

You would also have to be sure that you have no minimum term (everyone has a contract as taking the service is an agreement), as otherwise the penalty could be the payments due to the end of the minimum term.
  • alipops1986
    Options
    Only cancelled a few days ago, received phone call today from Sky.
    Managed to get pretty much 50% off.
    So original bundle & Sky Sports for £25 a month, for 12 months, no tie in contract.
    Happy with that and being 12 months means I won't have to attempt to haggle every few months!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I got an e-mail from Sky titled Thank You from Sky - important information.

I opened it and there was a button to click so I get 20% off for 12 months on the standard Sky tv subscription. Excludes multiscreen, stand alone premium channels.

This is saving me about £7.50 a month, which works out about 11-12% of my bill as have bb, lr, talk etc.
  • scarletjim
    scarletjim Posts: 561 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I opened it and there was a button to click so I get 20% off for 12 months on the standard Sky tv subscription. Excludes multiscreen, stand alone premium channels.

This is saving me about £7.50 a month, which works out about 11-12% of my bill as have bb, lr, talk etc.

I suggest you read the last few pages to see what other people have got, before refusing this offer and haggling for much much more (unless of course you currently have most of your contract remaining). Most people seem to get at least 30% or 35% offered just by calling to haggle when they are reaching the end of their contract - by then cancelling, most people are then getting 50%, a few even up to 60%. So 20% off is very poor by comparison - unless as I said you have a lot of months left on your contract, and are currently paying the full price, in which this might be all they will offer. ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    scarletjim wrote: »
    I suggest you read the last few pages to see what other people have got, before refusing this offer and haggling for much much more (unless of course you currently have most of your contract remaining). Most people seem to get at least 30% or 35% offered just by calling to haggle when they are reaching the end of their contract - by then cancelling, most people are then getting 50%, a few even up to 60%. So 20% off is very poor by comparison - unless as I said you have a lot of months left on your contract, and are currently paying the full price, in which this might be all they will offer. ;)

I had a new box for free back in April as threatened with cancellation so not entitled to other deals.
  • teddysmum
    Options

I got one offering 25% off, yet I'm still in minimum term.

Perhaps, they guessed I'll be cancelling in 3 weeks time, but that wouldn't be enough to make me stay.
  • krco86
    krco86 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

My 12 month offer and contract with SKY came to an end a couple of weeks ago and I phoned up to "negotiate" a new deal. My bill went from £35 a month (with the discount) back up to £50. All SKY could offer me was £40 a month.

I proceeded with the cancellation and two days later I got a call from SKY (01332387201) saying that they could match my previous price if I would stay. The guy on the phone then said he could apply a 35% discount on the £50 which resulted in a £32.50 monthly cost for 10 months and not being tied in to a contract. I tried haggling a bit more but he wouldn't offer a better rate. I decided to accept as I wanted to keep the service and it was cheaper than I was paying last year.

I have logged in to my sky account this morning to see if the discount has been applied, it hasn't yet I assume it just hasn't updated, but there is an offer that says "Stay with Sky and get an exclusive 50% off any TV Bundle for 12 months"

Is this 50% off my TV bill, i.e. if my price was £50 I can pay £25 a month? or by bundle do they mean sports etc? I have sky original package with sport on top. I dont want to click on the link if it then accepts the package and isnt for the full TV package as even if its 50% for 10 months and 2 months at 100% it still works out at £350 for 12 months (£25x10 + 2x£50) as opposed to £390 (12*£32.50) so it is a better deal. I just don't want to click it and they give me sports for 50% and my bill then be £40 a month instead of the £32.50 I accepted yesterday on the phone.

Is it worth me phoning sky and asking if they will give me 50% as that is what the offer says or am I being cheeky? The offer I accepted yesterday is non contract so I am not tied in or any cancellation charges.
  • teddysmum
    Options
    krco86 wrote: »
    Hi,

My 12 month offer and contract with SKY came to an end a couple of weeks ago and I phoned up to "negotiate" a new deal. My bill went from £35 a month (with the discount) back up to £50. All SKY could offer me was £40 a month.

I proceeded with the cancellation and two days later I got a call from SKY (01332387201) saying that they could match my previous price if I would stay. The guy on the phone then said he could apply a 35% discount on the £50 which resulted in a £32.50 monthly cost for 10 months and not being tied in to a contract. I tried haggling a bit more but he wouldn't offer a better rate. I decided to accept as I wanted to keep the service and it was cheaper than I was paying last year.

I have logged in to my sky account this morning to see if the discount has been applied, it hasn't yet I assume it just hasn't updated, but there is an offer that says "Stay with Sky and get an exclusive 50% off any TV Bundle for 12 months"

Is this 50% off my TV bill, i.e. if my price was £50 I can pay £25 a month? or by bundle do they mean sports etc? I have sky original package with sport on top. I dont want to click on the link if it then accepts the package and isnt for the full TV package as even if its 50% for 10 months and 2 months at 100% it still works out at £350 for 12 months (£25x10 + 2x£50) as opposed to £390 (12*£32.50) so it is a better deal. I just don't want to click it and they give me sports for 50% and my bill then be £40 a month instead of the £32.50 I accepted yesterday on the phone.

Is it worth me phoning sky and asking if they will give me 50% as that is what the offer says or am I being cheeky? The offer I accepted yesterday is non contract so I am not tied in or any cancellation charges.

There's nothing to lose by trying.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure