Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• Savinghayes
    Options
    Discodave wrote: »
    how did you manage Live Chat, its always "busy"when i try :(

You've got to keep an eye on it for a while and then quickly hit the button when they available
  • scarletjim
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    Generally they can't give you deals on all of them at the same time as there so many offers they can give on any one day
    Are you 100% sure about this? I'm sure I've read in the last few pages of at least one person who has got both sorted on the same call by agreeing the deal on TV, then moving to the BB / Line Rental department and agreeing a deal on that (or vice versa, can't remember which way round it was).
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    scarletjim wrote: »
    Are you 100% sure about this? I'm sure I've read in the last few pages of at least one person who has got both sorted on the same call by agreeing the deal on TV, then moving to the BB / Line Rental department and agreeing a deal on that (or vice versa, can't remember which way round it was).

I was told this by the customer retentions person, nothing stopping you trying to get offers for both services.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    You won't get better than 60%, sometimes you can' get too greedy

I was offered 60% off when I cancelled it. Got a much better deal two weeks later.
  • Lady_Bee
    Lady_Bee Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    You've got to keep an eye on it for a while and then quickly hit the button when they available

Yes, perseverance is key! I just kept it open and kept an eye out for available, I think I waited about 15 minutes yesterday and even once I'd got past that bit it said I was in a queue so had to wait a bit longer. Much easier than speaking to someone over the phone though, at least you can be doing other things between messages.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 September 2016 at 4:22PM
    Options
    scarletjim wrote: »

I cancelled tv,then called about the phone/bb two weeks later (needs less notice). When I made a good deal on the latter, I asked if they would like to make a tv offer, similar to ones I'd been offered and was transferred to tv, who finalised the package.

I wouldn't risk actually cancelling bb/phone, without instructing another company to take over or there'd likely be cease fees and a break in service, with loss of phone number.
  • Mr_Benn
    Mr_Benn Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 September 2016 at 8:40AM
    Options
    So I cancelled over a week ago with Sky ( TV and Broadband due to finish in 3 weeks )
    Called them yesterday to confirm something , and they offered me 50% off my TV . He said that made it about £75 . I told him that Virgin were offerering me a package for £67 which includes BT Sport , Movies and extra box. (I didn't mention the fact its that price for 12 months , then 90 something pounds for 6 months ) . They didn't even seem interested in trying to offer anything more, so my cancellation still stands.

Im now thinking I cant not move to Virgin, but Im not happy with the chance the price may rocket for the remaining 6 months of my 18 month contract. So will call Virgin back today to see whats best price for fixed 12 months.

What did annoy me yesterday when I called Virgin back, was that the woman I originally spoke to hadn't put any details on my account to say what she had offered. And I had made the mistake of not asking her to email me them. So hoping to speak to that specific lady today.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mr_Benn wrote: »
    So I cancelled over a week ago with Sky ( TV and Broadband due to finish in 3 weeks )
    Called them yesterday to confirm something , and they offered me 50% off my TV . He said that made it about £75 . I told him that Virgin were offerering me a package for £67 which includes BT Sport , Movies and extra box. (I didn't mention the fact its that price for 12 months , then 90 something pounds for 6 months ) . They didn't even seem interested in trying to offer anything more, so my cancellation still stands.

Im now thinking I cant not move to Virgin, but Im not happy with the chance the price may rocket for the remaining 6 months of my 18 month contract. So will call Virgin back today to see whats best price for fixed 12 months.

What did annoy me yesterday when I called Virgin back, was that the woman I originally spoke to hadn't put any details on my account to say what she had offered. And I had made the mistake of not asking her to email me them. So hoping to speak to that specific lady today.

Virgin's price will rocket for the last part of the contract as you also need to factor in the allowed price increases.

Sky will know the details of the Virgin contract (ie 12months offer over 18 month minimum term)as my daughter-in-law , who worked on customer service for BT, told me that they had a list of other suppliers' offers.
  • scarletjim
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Sky will know the details of the Virgin contract (ie 12months offer over 18 month minimum term)as my daughter-in-law , who worked on customer service for BT, told me that they had a list of other suppliers' offers.

This is absolutely true, they know everything - I once said I was thinking of moving to Virgin, and within 2 seconds the guy told me 'Yes but Virgin don't provide a service in your area do they?' They do in most of my area, but my house is one of two detached houses up a little alley away from the main road, and because of that, Virgin don't serve these two houses. So yes, they really do know what other providers can and can't do, and at what price, right down to individual properties!
  • scarletjim
    Options
    By the way, for anyone considering leaving it right until the last day before 'cut off' of your TV services, bear in mind that you can't always contact them at all... Right now, neither calling nor live chat are available. There is a message on the webpage saying that they are having technical problems, and when you call you just get a recorded message advising you to try again later. Fortunately I have 2 weeks left (if I even stay at all), but for anyone who wants to stay but plans to do a deal on the last day, this is worth bearing in mind - you might lose everything on your box just for the sake of a few quid more off...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback