Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• Mr_Benn
    Mr_Benn Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Called Virgin back yesterday and they started to back track on the deal I had been told was 'reserved' last week. Im happy with the £50 for the 12 months, its what happens for the remainder 6 months, where the price could rocket to £100. My mate had the same deal and managed to get a new deal after 12 months for the same £50 for another 12 months.

Im going to give Sky another chance to come up with a package I cant refuse . (tho the big issue for me is I want BT sport which they cant discount )

Ive never been offered any 'credit' by Sky , so that may be the way forward as well for me.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Mr_Benn wrote: »
    Called Virgin back yesterday and they started to back track on the deal I had been told was 'reserved' last week. Im happy with the £50 for the 12 months, its what happens for the remainder 6 months, where the price could rocket to £100. My mate had the same deal and managed to get a new deal after 12 months for the same £50 for another 12 months.

Im going to give Sky another chance to come up with a package I cant refuse . (tho the big issue for me is I want BT sport which they cant discount )

Ive never been offered any 'credit' by Sky , so that may be the way forward as well for me.

The current MSE deal looks good 60% for new customers
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • scarletjim
    scarletjim Posts: 561 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 September 2016 at 2:58PM
    Options
    Finally got through, and got an even better deal than I expected. They couldn't do much on LR / BB (Fibre Unlimited), only the standard £10 off that everyone gets, but the lovely lady did manage to do a whopping 67% off TV (Box Sets package), plus a £25 credit. That works out at about £38pm for the lot (including the credit), offers applicable for 12 months on a 12 month contract. That's the best I've ever done. :)

TV Box Sets: £38 - 67% disc = £12.54
    Line Rental: £17.40 (no disc)
    Fibre Unl.: £20 - 50% disc = £10
    Total: £39.43pm

Minus one-off £25 credit = £37.86pm
  • MissFinden
    Options
    I just tried hardballing Sky cancellation on chat. Best he could offer me was 15% discount over 10 months or 20% over 6 months on a 12 month contract. I said no, as talktalk can give me most of what I want for a lot less. And I told him that. He then offered me the 20 % over 10 months. I still said no. So the cancellation is being processed. Now we wait...
    I'm obvoiusly not changing provider, and I have every intention of cancelling the cancellation before the month is up, but I really hope there will be a better offer on the table by then. I'm not very good at this and my nerves are killing me, so wish me luck :-)
  • Mr_Benn
    Options
    Spoke to Virgin again and this time got a much better offer, Sky & Bt Sports Movies all HD, free 2nd box , all for £70 for 12 months, then unfortunately over £100 for ast 6 months, but will cross that bridge when I get to it.
    With my current Sky offer, then adding BT Sports , it would be £90+ a month anyway.

How do I ensure I dont lose my broadband or phone during this period of change over ? My Sky is due to fininsh on Sept 23rd.

Thanks
  • Mr_Benn
    edited 3 September 2016 at 3:12PM
    Options
    Have had a relative good offer from Virgin, but cant get back hold of Sky retention team to see what they can offer still (call wait times 1 hour , and no online chat )

Must admit the more negative posts I read about Virgins TV TiVo box is making me wonder if moving is a good move though. Or is it a case of reading a few negative posts, but there are thousands who are happy . I mean how many people post when they are happy about something !

Must admit Im someone who likes to take their time and work out best way forward, but sometimes you can read too much ! Id like to switch in some ways as I will gain movies, a 2nd box, and BT Sport, for a better price, but just wary of the TV box.
  • wookie66
    wookie66 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    The key to getting a better deal is to actually go ahead and process your cancellation for Sky. Once you are into the cancellation period the OFFERS WILL COME! I was offered paltry 20% off for one year on my std sky package told them to go ahead canx then logged onto my Sky app on ipad after a few days and voila had a 50% offer to stay with Sky. Rung them up to take up offer, also bagged brand new HD box since had multiscreen but had never received a new box for it having purchased my own refurbished one. So got my package down from £80 to £40 for 12months. Remember 50% only applies to std packages i.e. Sky Sports, Variety etc, it wont apply for premium packages or for Multiscreen. Good luck and remember 50% offer will only come once youve actually cancelled. Make sure you download Sky app onto Android or Apple device to get this offer since they didnt email it to me nor did it show on my sky offers when logged onto my account on computer. Hope this helps.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    andrewmp wrote: »
    I was offered 60% off when I cancelled it. Got a much better deal two weeks later.

What did you get in the end? I was offered a continuation of my 60% off deal when I cancelled, and have had a 60% offer sitting in My Sky for a week or so now (with the caveat of signing up for a further 12 months) but as I got £50 credit and a 30 day rolling contract last year on top of the 60% off, I want them to at least match it this year.
  • Discodave
    Options
    scarletjim wrote: »
    Finally got through, and got an even better deal than I expected. They couldn't do much on LR / BB (Fibre Unlimited), only the standard £10 off that everyone gets, but the lovely lady did manage to do a whopping 67% off TV (Box Sets package), plus a £25 credit. That works out at about £38pm for the lot (including the credit), offers applicable for 12 months on a 12 month contract. That's the best I've ever done. :)

TV Box Sets: £38 - 67% disc = £12.54
    Line Rental: £17.40 (no disc)
    Fibre Unl.: £20 - 50% disc = £10
    Total: £39.43pm

Minus one-off £25 credit = £37.86pm

5KYMOVE gives you 50% off all so we got Variety, unltd fibre bb, Line rental, anytime calls for £33.40 a month
  • Mr_Benn
    edited 5 September 2016 at 6:29PM
    Options
    "5KYMOVE gives you 50% off all so we got Variety, unltd fibre bb, Line rental, anytime calls for £33.40 a month"

How do use this code tho ? Ive been offered 50% off TV ,(not sure about HD) but want to drive down my BB and phone calls the same.

I have managed to speak to the retention's team this afternoon and 2 ladies said 50% off my TV is a great offer and the best they can do. Nothing off line rental at all. ( i cant recall what they said about Fibre price) And I am 2 weeks into my cancellation.
    They even quoted that Id saved £1,000 in the last few years. That really pssed me off to be honest . They over inflate the prices then make you feel grateful when they bring it down to a reasonable cost. She was not interested in any Credit either , which i only mentioned when I got annoyed with her attitude.

The game changer for me today tho is the missus saying were not moving to Virgin as she has stuff recorded she wants to keep, and the fact her sister had it and hated it. So Im back to Sky Haggling !

Any help with that Sky code would be great if its 50% off all - cheers (and not just for newbies)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback