Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• Gnasher86
    Options
    So i finally managed to settle with them, £50 credit, 50% off the whole package for 12 months with no contract. Happy Enough.

One thing to bear in mind is that they have started to add notes to your account, so they can recall what a previous advisor has offered you and any demands you have made, so be mindful when making any outrageous demands.
  • xiix
    xiix Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    They have not overcharged you. Sky offered a service for £x per month and you accepted. This is the amount you have been paying. It is up to you to negotiate a better deal if you want to.

Thanks for the empty calories
  • xiix
    xiix Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Ok you are out of contract. Contact Sky and give them 30 days notice to terminate your TV package. Make sure you speak to the Sky retentions team when you give your 30 days notice. You will THEN start to get offers such as 50% off TV. Try using Sky Chat after you have given your 30 days notice. With luck you will chat with someone in India, who tend to give the best offers to persuade you to stay.

Thanks. Can I clarify one thing please? What do you mean use Sky Chat later? I mean after I served them 30 days notice, or whilst I am serving the 30 days notice period? Thanks!
  • stephenliverpool1
    stephenliverpool1 Posts: 1,312 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 20 August 2016 at 6:43PM
    Options
    xiix wrote: »
    Thanks. Can I clarify one thing please? What do you mean use Sky Chat later? I mean after I served them 30 days notice, or whilst I am serving the 30 days notice period? Thanks!

I would wait for 1-to-10 days after you have applied your 30-days notice before using Sky Chat. Keep an eye on your MySky account as you will probably see a 50% off TV offer a few minutes after you have applied your 30-days notice. I would ask for a new box via Sky Chat and make sure you give your cancellation reason as your box does not work.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,510 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ...@xiix -as I said earlier in the thread, in order to get a new box plus discounts you MAY have to accept an upgrade to your package - it seems that currently you are on the Original pack without HD ?
    If you upgrade to say, Family you should be able to get a new all singing box more easily and with 50% off ,should still be cheaper than current price.:)
  • greenery
    greenery Posts: 976 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ok you are out of contract. Contact Sky and give them 30 days notice to terminate your TV package. Make sure you speak to the Sky retentions team when you give your 30 days notice. You will THEN start to get offers such as 50% off TV. Try using Sky Chat after you have given your 30 days notice. With luck you will chat with someone in India, who tend to give the best offers to persuade you to stay.

But if you speak to the Sky retentions team, they know you want to stay and won't offer a decent deal? Would it be better to wait for them to contact?
    I have a TV only contract with sport, my last deal ran out a couple of months ago. It wasn't a grat deal but I am now paying full wack which is way too much.
    What is the best way to do this. phone or live chat? and do I ask for a reduction first or go straight to asknig for a cancellation?
    I am sure these questions have been asked before but I am confused as to the best way to go about this
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Personally I would cancel all packages and let them sweat on it. I got 50% offers and free line rental coming in within a week or two via email
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,510 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    greenery wrote: »
    But if you speak to the Sky retentions team, they know you want to stay and won't offer a decent deal? Would it be better to wait for them to contact?
    I have a TV only contract with sport, my last deal ran out a couple of months ago. It wasn't a grat deal but I am now paying full wack which is way too much.
    What is the best way to do this. phone or live chat? and do I ask for a reduction first or go straight to asknig for a cancellation?
    I am sure these questions have been asked before but I am confused as to the best way to go about this

...I've preferred to use Chat the last couple of years - when I first phoned to cancel, I got an unpleasant individual who talked over me, whereas on chat I could make a reply,load the dishwasher,put the washing on and make a cup of coffee whilst waiting for the next response from Sky :rotfl:Took longer but I achieved my end goal :)
  • scarletjim
    scarletjim Posts: 561 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 August 2016 at 10:55AM
    Options
    How 'linked' are the TV and Broadband departments? I've just given my 30 days notice on my TV package - if I now accept an online deal for £10 off fibre unlimited, will that impact any offers on my TV that they might make to me when my TV termination date approaches?

The £10 off does come with a 30 day cooling off period - so technically I could take it now, making the next month £10 cheaper, then cancel it near the end of that 30 day period - but still, would it impact what they might offer me to keep my TV package?

Might as well ask 2nd question too - is £10 off fibre unlimited pretty much as good as it gets for BB / Line rental offers, or have people done any better than that? (Edit: Actually I see above someone has an offer for free line rental - that's considerably better. However I haven't actually cancelled my broadband or line rental, so presumably they won't offer me anything special on that just because my TV termination date is appraching?)
  • greenery
    greenery Posts: 976 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    ...I've preferred to use Chat the last couple of years - when I first phoned to cancel, I got an unpleasant individual who talked over me, whereas on chat I could make a reply,load the dishwasher,put the washing on and make a cup of coffee whilst waiting for the next response from Sky :rotfl:Took longer but I achieved my end goal :)

Did you get what you wanted in your first chat or did you have to cancel your contract first?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback