Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Poppyf13 wrote: »
    how accurate is flightstats.com Ive just checked a flight and it says it was only 5 minutes late in arriving back in the UK and I know this isnt true? I undestand that arrival must be 3 hours late to be a valid claim but how else can I check the flight status??

Flightstats isn't always 100%.

Let us have the details, flight No, dates etc and we can try to look into it. FR24 hold free data for a week only. Put your details into one or two of the flight claim calculators too, that can also be a good indicator.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • charlibombarli
    Options
    Hi I've also just put my details into fightstats (I think it's called) and it also seems wrong.

I flew with Thomson from Tenerife to East Midlands on 29th March 2011. I think the flight number was 7261.

We got to the airport and was delayed roughly 2-4 hours (was a long time ago now!), before been bundled into a bus back to a hotel and had to wait two days before a flight back.

On flightstats it says that the plane landed early hours of the original flight (it was an overnight flight) with a delay of 172 mins.

I can't get my head around it? Does anyone have any advice? Thank you.
  • DrA_Harrogate
    Options
    If you read Vauban's Guide or indeed many of the thousand s of messages here you will see that the length of delay required to trigger compensation is 3 hours. Flightstats can be less than 100% reliable so do try the websites of the claim companies, but if you cannot establish more than 3 hours then expend your valuable time elsewhere.
  • ColinB
    ColinB Posts: 70 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just had a 4 hour delay on a TAP Portugal flight from Gatwick to Lisbon. No info at the airport about the reasons (although they did give us a £7 refreshments voucher each), no info on the plane either (although there was a long rambling announcement just before landing that was inaudible).

After returning, I found the following on the TAP website. Not in an obvious location, you had to click-through to find it:
    " Airspace restrictions between October 21st and November 6th

Due to the NATO military exercise - Trident Juncture 2015, which will take place simultaneously in Portugal, Spain and Italy, there will be airspace restrictions with significant impact on the normal air traffic management.
    This exercise will be held between October 21st and November 6th and will affect three time slots during the day which will impact the overflights and the departures and arrivals to the Portuguese national airports.

Due to the constraints expected on those days, TAP advises its customers of the impact on its operations. The company is making all the efforts in order to minimize, as much as possible, the effects on flights.

TAP would like to take the opportunity to thank in advance all customers' understanding and apologize for any inconvenience that may come from this situation. "

So - assuming this was the reason for the delay - I expect TAP to deny a compensation claim because this was outside their control. My counter-argument will be that they clearly knew about the problem but did nothing to mitigate it or keep their customers informed, and that is their fault. They could have rescheduled the flights, or told us not to get to the airport so early, or even a few announcements blaming NATO would at least have told us what was happening. But no, we were left in ignorance, and that is why I will try to claim.

Thoughts ?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options
    ColinB wrote: »

Thoughts ?

My thoughts are that you are most likely on a hiding to nothing. Failing to communicate the delay properly is not the test for whether the airline took sufficient steps to mitigate the risk of it. I suspect they are well placed to defend any claim you might bring. Sorry.
  • charlibombarli
    Options
    If you read Vauban's Guide or indeed many of the thousand s of messages here you will see that the length of delay required to trigger compensation is 3 hours. Flightstats can be less than 100% reliable so do try the websites of the claim companies, but if you cannot establish more than 3 hours then expend your valuable time elsewhere.

Was this a reply to me?

Of course I can establish the delay was more than 3 hours, it was about 48 hours in total.

But flightstats state the original flight landed 150 odd minutes late when that flight was actually cancelled.
  • Vauban
    Options
    Was this a reply to me?

Of course I can establish the delay was more than 3 hours, it was about 48 hours in total.

But flightstats state the original flight landed 150 odd minutes late when that flight was actually cancelled.

Well if you know you were delayed 48 hours, why do you need to consult flight stats? Just proceed with your claim.
  • charlibombarli
    Options
    I consulted flight stats to retrieve the flight number, then was puzzled that it states the original plane landed when in fact it was cancelled.

I was wondering if this was common.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I consulted flight stats to retrieve the flight number, then was puzzled that it states the original plane landed when in fact it was cancelled.

not common and the actual arrival time was complete at the actual arrival time (on the 30th) Only thing I can think is if they flew the empty plane back still with the same flight number
    Entering the details into Bott & co site shows €400 claim so there must be correct info held elsewhere
  • Vauban
    Options

I see. Well don't worry about it. Flight stats does get confused sometimes. But the airline will know the correct timings - and there's no doubt about a 48 hour delay. So just push on!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback