Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Goz
    Options
    We claimed for flight delays from Orlando to Gatwick last summer from BA. They gave us £575 in eVouchers for each member of the family, 4 of us. The vouchers are due to expire 8th December 2015 but at the moment we are not able to book a holiday for next year to use them. Do we have any rights to have cash or an alternative?
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mrs Goz - read Vauban's Guide.
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You weren't obliged to accept vouchers but having done so you have reached a binding settlement. You might be able to persuade them to extend them but if not your best bet is to use them before they expire
  • alun4
    alun4 Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Today received n email with a "full and final" with attachment of vouchers for £580.00.
    I have a Euro bank account. Can I reject the vouchers and instruct 800 euro be sent to my Barclays France account (domociled inParis) ?
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes. You don't have to accept vouchers
  • alun4
    alun4 Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The sterling value represents a good rate from 800 euro but not a brilliant rate! Would they pay 800 euro (without deductions) to my French bank account or would I have less than 800 showing on my French bank account?
  • Craigsup
    Craigsup Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    TAP Portugal insisted via correspondence that my 3.5 hour delayed flight from Manchester to Lisbon on 7th September is not a valid reason to pay compensation as it was due to a 'technical issue with the plane'.

Issued them a NBA and no response after 16 days.

I've had to open a case on MCOL - I hope they'll simply pay up now they realise I'm serious...Can anyone give some insight?
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Craigsup - sounds like a valid case particularly as a technical issue. Stick with it (presume you have read Vauban's Guide) .... may not get your money for Christmas but should go towards your 2016 holiday.
  • DrA_Harrogate
    Options
    Well you are doing everything right so far so well done. The Court now gets in touch with TAP to seek their defence (or acquiescence one hopes). If they decide to defend the case it will be moved to your local Court for a Hearing. If TAP ignore the Court judgment may well be made in your favour. If you have read Vauban's Guide and kept up with various threads here you will know that 'technical problems' are more or less a dead duck now as a defence so the odds are in your favour. Keep going!
  • ColinB
    ColinB Posts: 70 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    My thoughts are that you are most likely on a hiding to nothing. Failing to communicate the delay properly is not the test for whether the airline took sufficient steps to mitigate the risk of it. I suspect they are well placed to defend any claim you might bring. Sorry.

Thank you Vauban. Of course, it's only my assumption that the military were to blame so I'll see what TAP have to say. If they do indeed say "Nato's fault" then I guess it won't be worth persevering.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback