Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ColinB - might be worth consulting a NWNF ~ after all c.70% is better than nowt.
  • gmrsupplies
    Options
    Hi there, submitted a claim in small claims for my delayed flight 4 years ago. I included within this a claim for interest at the standard 8%. The airline have partly admitted the claim and offered me the full amount I requested plus the court fee but have disputed that I am entitled to interest stating that "It is denied that any interest is payable on the compensation applicable under the regulation', the interest over the four years equates to approx 700 pounds taken from the return date of the flight. What do you think? Should I pursue the interest or be happy with the amount offered?

Thanks
    Up the Rams !!
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The airline are right in that interest is not payable under the regulations so if they had admitted your claim before you started court proceedings you would not be entitled to interest. But you are not claiming interest under the regulations but under the County Courts Act and you ARE entitled to interest. They are trying it on so don't accept this partial admission.
  • bogart_2
    Options
    Jet2 have written back to say that I can't claim compensation as my flight was delayed 6 hours due to bad weather. I don't believe this was the case - any hints on how to find out if other flights were delayed from originating/destination airports that day? Or even what the actual flight delay was? We didn't get any information at all at the time

Also my husband was on the flight but booked separately and we cannot find the booking reference as he booked via an email account that he no longer has access to and with a credit card that he doesn't have any more. Was thinking of trying a Subject Access Request to get them to confirm that he was on the passenger manifest. Anyone had any luck with this? Have asked Jet2 to check the manifest but, of course, they have refused. The flight was in 2011

Many thanks!
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    read Vauban's guide
    Register for Flightstats, log in and search historical information.
  • bhavik999
    Options
    Hi

I booked a ticket from London to Ahmedabad, India via Dubai on Emirates and the second leg of the flight from Dubai to Ahmedabad was delayed by 8 hours and therefore I ultimately reached my destination 8 hours late. The booking was for London to Ahmedabad rather than 2 separate bookings. When I submitted a claim, Emirates replied saying that as the London to Dubai flight wasn't delayed I am not eligible to claim. They said the Dubai to Ahmedabad flight doesn't fall under this law and therefore I am not entitled to claim any compensation. Is this correct? Surely, given that my original booking was from London to Ahmedabad means that I am still entitled? Can someone clarify and provide some guidance as to whether I can take this further?

Many thanks
  • Caz3121
    Options
    bhavik999 wrote: »
    Hi

I booked a ticket from London to Ahmedabad, India via Dubai on Emirates and the second leg of the flight from Dubai to Ahmedabad was delayed by 8 hours and therefore I ultimately reached my destination 8 hours late. The booking was for London to Ahmedabad rather than 2 separate bookings. When I submitted a claim, Emirates replied saying that as the London to Dubai flight wasn't delayed I am not eligible to claim. They said the Dubai to Ahmedabad flight doesn't fall under this law and therefore I am not entitled to claim any compensation. Is this correct? Surely, given that my original booking was from London to Ahmedabad means that I am still entitled? Can someone clarify and provide some guidance as to whether I can take this further?

Many thanks

The delay was fully outside the EU so none of the NWNF firms will take this on. Emirates will quote many court cases that they have defended in similar circumstances
    Up to you whether you want to try and take them to court yourself but the chance of success is anyones guess - similar stories in the non-EU airline thread
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is clearly an area that the EU need to clarify and tighten up on as Emirtes seem to be getting away with it. Having got a few wins under their belt, they can play the numbers game scaring people off.
    Do we actully have ny numbers of wins losses in cses like this?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Craigsup
    Options
    Regarding the flightstats website, my flight TP329 on 07/09/2015 shows the status as 'Runway Delay N/A'.

I know that it was a technical error with the plane - is there anyway to get a more detailed account of the technical problem?
  • Caz3121
    Options
    Craigsup wrote: »
    Regarding the flightstats website, my flight TP329 on 07/09/2015 shows the status as 'Runway Delay N/A'.

I know that it was a technical error with the plane - is there anyway to get a more detailed account of the technical problem?

you don't need to know what the technical problem was, a technical error is rarely extraordinary
    Have you submitted a claim? Bott&co show €400 due (although EUClaim show no compensation applies!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback