Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Bigtrevster
    Options
    blindman wrote: »

What name\ address did Flybe write from? May be of use to others.

Blindman, it was via their contact us on their website but the reply I got was from Valerie.Derrien@flybe.com

I will use the template and send it off to them, thanks.
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Blindman, it was via their contact us on their website but the reply I got was from [EMAIL="Valerie.Derrien@flybe.com"]Valerie.Derrien@flybe.com[/EMAIL]

I will use the template and send it off to them, thanks.

Centipede100 is the one to thank TBHO:cool:
  • heather8
    heather8 Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have established that our flight was delayed for 4 hours 30 mins using the flightstats tracker. Thank you for pointing that out.

As the flight was way back in 2006, I do not have my booking reference. Will the airline still consider my claim? My DS also tells me that it was due to engine problems, so is the claim unlikely to be granted?
  • Jamie_Carter
    Jamie_Carter Posts: 5,282 Forumite
    Options
    It seems that we live in a culture where people just expect compensation for the slightest inconvenience. Yet they will be the first to complain if fares go up to cover compensation payments.

Flights are cancelled or delayed for all sorts of reasons, and some of these are outside the airlines control. If flights are cancelled due to bad weather, or strikes at the French air traffic control, then why should the airline pay compensation? And if a delay is due to a mechanical fault, the delay is usually due to safety reasons.

As someone else said earlier in the thread, we don't ask for compensation if our train or bus is delayed.

Now I'm no expert on travel insurance, but isn't this why it exists??
  • dradavies
    Options
    Hi - I wonder if someone could advise me please. I have a clear-cut (I reckon!) case - 6 hour delay on a transatlantic flight in 2007, due to mechanical failure. But the airline was BMI. Does anyone know if I should now make a claim to British Airways, or to the holding company IAG, or does the fact that the airline itself no longer exists mean I'm not able to claim?

Thanks,

Andrew
  • Onespeedjennie
    Options
    Does anyone know if this would apply to package holiday flights as well?:D
  • pcj2000
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering if someone could let me know whether it is worth trying to claim for this:

Flight in 2007 with Etihad (although booking may have been with BMI - does it matter? Do I need to check this or just write to Etihad?)

Flight from London to Johannesburg but with a change of plane in Abu Dhabi (stayed with Etihad on both flights). Flight from London to Abu Dhabi was fine but then was held up in Abu Dhabi for 24 hours due to a "technical problem". We were put up in a hotel for the night, but lost a day of our holiday in South Africa and subsequently missed a connecting flight out of Johannesburg.

Does anyone know if my flight (for the purposes of the compensation) would be classed as London to Johannesburg or two separate flights?

Thanks a lot.
  • Reue
    Reue Posts: 569 Forumite
    Options
    Long haul flight delayed 16 hours due to the pilot being sick.

Straight from the guide:

To get compensation, the delay must have been the airline's fault.
    Bad weather, industrial action and safety or security issues don't count. Examples of where the airline is at fault could include the crew being late, the pilot being sick with no standby pilot available, flight cleaners taking too long, or an airline cancelling a flight for its own reasons (say, if it didn't sell enough seats).

Time to put in my claim :)
  • pfarre10
    Options
    I was delayed for more than 4 hours in 2005 on a flight from Glasgow to Cardiff. I remember because it was the day of my grandfathers funeral and it was the only flight i could get.
    But, it was with bmi baby and they don't exist anymore. I suppose this means that there's no one i can complain?
  • megan01
    megan01 Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    Sent off my letter! See what happens..
    Save 12k in 2015 challenger NO.128 £0.00/£8000
    House Deposit : £6317.44/£12000.00
    Weight Loss, target: 8st 7lb current:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income