Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mutley99 wrote: »
    I am in the middle of a claim with E.Jet that I referred to the CAA. I received a reply from the CAA saying their cases have been referred back to the airlines to reassess what is classed as an extraordinary circumstance. This is due to new guidance!
    Hope this info is useful.
    Not new guidance, CAA just don't give a s**t.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Julie-L
    Options
    :T I had a 9 hour delay from Gatwick to Cyprus in 2008 due to no crew. I had no boarding passes or booking number I just found the flight number and departure & arrival time on the flight stats website.

Contacted Easyjet and they paid out €1200 without any problems - just the one letter. I rely can't believe it!!

Thank you MSE. :T
  • Julie-L
    Options
    Hi. I have just looked into claiming compensation for a delayed flight in September 2008 but i cannot find a booking reference anywhere. I do have all the flight details so i assume they can check their own database to prove i was on the flight...right? Or do I need my booking ref? If so, is there any way of finding it out from easyjet?

I only provided details of the flight and passengers and I got paid out without booking reference.
  • PennyT_2
    Options
    Hi everyone

Back in September 2008 our honeymoon flight was delayed by 6 hours and 52 minutes. There was no explanation and very little assistance on the day, simply a drinks voucher. Eventually we were told that there was a technical fault on the plane (my memory was that it was a hydraulic fault) and they chartered a flight from another eirline to fly us to Athens.

We have played email and phone tag from some months with Easyjet and did actually receive an email right back at the beginning (1st August) saying that we were entitled to €400 for each of the six passengers in our party. Since then I have been "fobbed off" with them "needing more time" so finally today I rang them before sending them an NBA letter. (Having now read the whole of this thread, I realise that I should not have waited this long!) They finally stated that our claim was being rejected due to extraordinary circumstances although they offered me £200 to compensate for all the delay.

They have now confirmed by email that they do not consider they are liable to pay us compensation:

"As per our telephonic conversation, I can confirm that your flight on the 14th September 2008 from London Gatwick to Athens which was scheduled to depart at 06:25 hours was been delayed for 6 hours and 52 minutes. I completely understand that it would had been a frustrating time for you to wait at the airport during the delayed flight and accept my sincerce apologies for the same.

However as per your request we can confirm that the flight was delayed due to technical reason ( safety shortcoming ). The flight was been delayed due to the damaged compressor fan blade and we had to delay the flight as it was an unforseen circumstance. I understand that you have request for the compensation for the delayed flight, however in this situation as the flight was been delayed due to extraordinary reason we will not be able to process any compensation for the flight."

I have had a look through the new regulations and am worried that because they have quoted a "safety" fault that we will not be entitled.

Is it worth me pursuing and send the the NBA letter?

Thanks in advance for your help

Penny
    Live life like a labrador - just dont eat like my two!

Integrity has no need of rules - Albert Camus
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    PennyT wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Back in September 2008 our honeymoon flight was delayed by 6 hours and 52 minutes. There was no explanation and very little assistance on the day, simply a drinks voucher. Eventually we were told that there was a technical fault on the plane (my memory was that it was a hydraulic fault) and they chartered a flight from another eirline to fly us to Athens.

We have played email and phone tag from some months with Easyjet and did actually receive an email right back at the beginning (1st August) saying that we were entitled to €400 for each of the six passengers in our party. Since then I have been "fobbed off" with them "needing more time" so finally today I rang them before sending them an NBA letter. (Having now read the whole of this thread, I realise that I should not have waited this long!) They finally stated that our claim was being rejected due to extraordinary circumstances although they offered me £200 to compensate for all the delay.

They have now confirmed by email that they do not consider they are liable to pay us compensation:

"As per our telephonic conversation, I can confirm that your flight on the 14th September 2008 from London Gatwick to Athens which was scheduled to depart at 06:25 hours was been delayed for 6 hours and 52 minutes. I completely understand that it would had been a frustrating time for you to wait at the airport during the delayed flight and accept my sincerce apologies for the same.

However as per your request we can confirm that the flight was delayed due to technical reason ( safety shortcoming ). The flight was been delayed due to the damaged compressor fan blade and we had to delay the flight as it was an unforseen circumstance. I understand that you have request for the compensation for the delayed flight, however in this situation as the flight was been delayed due to extraordinary reason we will not be able to process any compensation for the flight."

I have had a look through the new regulations and am worried that because they have quoted a "safety" fault that we will not be entitled.

Thanks in advance for your help

Penny
    Do you have written/email evidence that they were going to provide compensation previousley?
    If so that strengths your case further and time to issue court proceedings.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PennyT wrote: »

Have you read the FAQs? You'll find the answer and lots of other useful information there and on various threads.
  • PennyT_2
    Options
    Yep read this whole thread, and all the FAQs. That is what made me unsure about the fact they are quoting "safety"

I do have an email telling me that we are due €400 per person - the last person I spoke to said that the person that told me that made a mistake!

I guess we have nothing to lose and everything to gain!
    Live life like a labrador - just dont eat like my two!

Integrity has no need of rules - Albert Camus
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dear easyjet,
    I completely disagree with your stance that my claim for compensation under EU Regulation 261/2004 for *flight number* on *date* is declined for extraordinary circumstances. I therefore put you on notice that should you not reconsider, and settle my claim, within 14 days, then I will be at liberty to issue a legal claim against your company, without giving you further notice.
    For the avoidance of doubt, I enclose a transcript of a recent appeal hearing, by a renowned High court Circuit Judge, to which I believe you should pay particular attention to reasoning number 27. (Enclose Huzar and highlight 27)

Fluff it out a little more with facts like names but don't do any other corresponding.
  • Simba_Algorfa
    Options
    I was wondering houw Icould find out what caused my easyjet flight delay earlier this year. We were told it was because of fog at Malaga airport, but there were flights coming in and going out!!! Although there had been a slight fog earlier in the day.
  • Simba_Algorfa
    Options
    I was wondering how/where I could find out some information on what caused my Jet2 flight delay of 6 hours. Was told it was due to the Air conditioning not working on our flight
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback