We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• juliesf
    juliesf Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Tyzap,

Thanks for your reply.

I have asked easyJet for compensation and they said no. I will take this up with CEDR.

I have also asked to be reimbursed (as promised for an economy flight - this is what the easyJet manager told us at LGW).

Just now received an email from eJ telling me that they will not reimburse my flight because there were other easyJet flights on the same route available in the following 48 hours!

Dear Julie

Thank you for your expense claim which we received on 28/06/17.

We’ve reviewed your claim and are pleased to say that we have reimbursed you for the below expenses.

Expense
    Amount Claimed
    Amount reimbursed
    Comments
    Alternative transport to your destination
    [FONT=verdana, geneva]GBP 945.75[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, geneva]X [/FONT]
    Flights were available in next 48 hours on the same route Only in the event of an overnight delay!!!
    Transport To and From Airport(s)
    (or to and from home if delayed overnight and have to come back again)
    [FONT=verdana, geneva]GBP 22.00[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, geneva]GBP 34.80[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, geneva]
    [/FONT]

We don't reimburse for pre flight arrangement.
    TOTAL

This was not at all made clear to passengers at the time, I spoke to the manager myself about it to clarify that we would be reimbursed and he said as long as it was an economy flight, we would be.

I am in tears right now about this. I don't have this extra money. Thanks for all your help.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Juliesf,

Don't get upset, get determined. There is much still to do.

What happened after your flight was cancelled? how much do they still owe you? Is it £945.75 for alternative flights booked by yourself?
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • SouthUKMan
    SouthUKMan Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    Earlier this week I flew with Easyjet from Stanstead to Asturias in Spain. Although the flight departed more or less on time, thick fog at Asturias meant the pilot diverted to Bilbao where we landed and waited for a break in the weather. We eventually took off again and landed at Asturias about 2.5 hours later than originally scheduled.

This isn't a moan about Easyjet's actions as safety comes first. However, the delay meant that I missed an ongoing connection by just minutes resulting in me having to pay £180 for alternative travel.

I would like to recover some or all of my unforeseen costs if possible. Is there any statutory compensation for a delay of 2.5 hours? Or going on anyone's past experience, would Easyjet entertain the idea of covering my out of pocket expenses? Or are delays caused by the weather simply classed as 'one of those things' and I will simply have to accept that?

Thank you!
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bad weather = no delay claim , sorry. But if your ongoing connection was also by Easyjet, you shouldn't have had to pay again. Assuming that it wasn't though, you may be able to claim on your travel insurance policy.
  • SouthUKMan
    SouthUKMan Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    Bad weather = no delay claim , sorry. But if your ongoing connection was also by Easyjet, you shouldn't have had to pay again. Assuming that it wasn't though, you may be able to claim on your travel insurance policy.

Thanks for your reply. My ongoing flight was with a different airline. I did take out a single trip insurance policy through Easyjet, so I will look through their terms and conditions.
  • juliesf
    juliesf Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 1 July 2017 at 9:09PM
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    Hi Juliesf,

Don't get upset, get determined. There is much still to do.

What happened after your flight was cancelled? how much do they still owe you? Is it £945.75 for alternative flights booked by yourself?

Hi Tyzap,

I am over being upset, I've moved on to determined :smiley:

Yes, they owe me £945.75 plus £34 for the cab to the airport (because the flight was at 6:35 am, we couldn't get there using public transport).

I did read Vauban's guide and it was helpful. We will definitely be putting this forward to CEDR as easyJet has denied us compensation as well as the vast majority of our expenses.

See post above #2271 for what happened after our flight was cancelled.

Thanks for all your help.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Advice please.....partnera daughters flight feom Bristol to Edinburgh was cancelled at 10pm tonight. Was supposed to depart 8.45. No Easyjet rep on desk and person there said no flights till Monday, no mention of being put up in hotel or anything. Daughter has ticketsfor music festival in Glasgow tommorow. What would she be entirled to if took train from Bristol tomorow.....I have read that if you do not travel on rescheduled flight then no compo, but Monday is no good.

Thanks
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Monday flight is unacceptable delay. What was the reason for cancellation? If not an EC then due refund of unused ticket and compensation at Euro250.
    And repost on EJ thread pleae, not your own personal one.
    Thanks
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • PaulH1
    Options
    Hi. I was travelling up to Edinburgh, and was due to leave at 8.15am, and land in Edinburgh at 9.40am. The flight was delayed to 12.00pm. We were advised to book on the 1.35pm flight, which I did. This flight was also delayed, and I didn't land into Edinburgh until 4.40pm.
    I have claimed for compensation, and Easyjet refuse because I did not travel on the original flight. Is this correct? Have I lost out because I followed the advise of Easyjet ?
    Could anyone please advise on my next course of action.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please re-post on the Easyjet thread
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts