Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

Options

Comments

• Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No not from the airline try your travel insurance.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thomas Cook thread please, not your own personal thread which clutters up the all ready busy board. You'll need to check the T&Cs of your package, is it ABTA or similar covered? Probably out of the scope of this board.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 August 2017 at 12:20PM
    Options
    PB1971 wrote: »
    Hi, we had a 26hr outbound delay with Thomas Cook on our recent all inclusive 10 day holiday to Kos. We've been offered compensation in line with EU flight delay regulations but is there any chance of compensation for the loss of a day of our holiday?

Thanks, Paul

Yes. If booked as a package. But not under the flight delay regulations (to which you are separately entitled).

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/package-travel-regulations
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Just putting this on here to say ive started a claim.

Flight landed about 3hr 40 mins delayed. Delay was caused by 3rd party software failure. Manchester airport had a check in software update over night which caused delays.

I believe for the most part that would be considered an exceptional circumstance, however the problems started very early morning and thomas cook said their systems where back up at 09:11. Our flight was at 14:35 yet didnt take off until just before 19:00. Pilot put his foot down to arrive at 22:49 (not sure if touch down or at gate?!).

A little over a month from start of claim to payment recieved, the voucher was offered pretty quickly just took time to get them to pay it to bank account.

Sent off a letter early july saying i would like the flight delay compensation, responded to say they are looking at it, and heres where im at.

I believe our flight was one of the most delayed (in terms of setting off) and seeing as our original flight was well after their systems where up and running again believe the delay was within the control of thomas cook.

Ill keep popping back with any updates.

ETA: Does anyone know how it works with babies? Ive read if they havent paid for a ticket then no compensation yet on our original booking i remember being slightly annoyed that we had to pay £50 supplement for babies air travel or words to that effect (she was on my lap). Actual receipt only shows total price of holiday. Ive included her in the claim because to me the £50 is payment for a ticket?! Any clarification?

A quick update, payment of £720 received yesterday (i thought the payment would be less than vouchers but exactly the same). Didnt pursue the compensation for baby. Happy with the result.
  • JPears
    Options
    Well done. Its pity you let them get away with not paying up for your infant

• Mrs_Tee
    Options
    My parents were on the opposite end of your flight. They were delayed from MAN. We have used the Resolver to submit a claim and are waiting to hear back from it.

The initial problem was the 1st aircraft with a mechanical fault, it was the replacement 2nd aircraft that was hit by bird strike therefore I should think the claim would still be valid 🤔

Anyway I'll see how they go on and report back 🙂
  • lucybrown162
    Options
    Hi All

I'm trying to work out whether we're entitled to compensation for a recent flight delay.

The delay was over 3 hours and was within the EU, however what's not clear is the reason for the delay. We were told the reason was initially because they changed the aircraft (the one it was supposed to be was 'stuck' in Tenerife, reason not given). Whilst waiting for the new aircraft (from ???) in Manchester, foggy conditions occurred meaning that the replacement craft was delayed in taking off.

Is there any way I can find out more about the reasons above, or am I best just trying to claim and taking it from there?

flight details were MT1169 from Faro to Manchester on 2nd September 2017, scheduled arrival of 12:15, actual arrival around 16:10.

Thanks in advance.
  • JPears
    Options
    Was it foggy when you were supposed to take off on the original aircraft? Where other flights taking off even though it was foggy?

• Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 September 2017 at 12:31PM
    Options
    I am sure you have already seen this link but here is the link on the Thomas Cook web site. You submit all the details and within a couple of days they send a confirmation email. Then they have 28 days to investigate and get back to you.
    Just out of interest, do you still have your boarding cards?

https://www.thomascook.com/customer-relations

I am not sure if you have any way of finding out an official reason until you submit a claim.

The aircraft you flew on was an Airbus with the registration number G-CHTZ and according to the flight trackers, it looks like it took an incredible bus tour round the UK on 1/9/17. Interestingly your aircraft looks like it was at Manchester at 5.57PM the day before your flight to Faro so they might have been working out which aircraft to use but that one was already there

Infact, I can't quite believe the aircraft did this but here's what it shows...

1/9/17 1:54PM Manchester -> Prestwick (40 mins flying time)
    1/9/17 2:49PM Prestwick -> Glasgow (20 mins)
    1/9/17 3:39PM Glasgow -> Newcastle (28 Mins)
    1/9/17 4:32PM Newcastle -> East Mids (34 mins)
    1/9/17 5:36PM East Mids -> Manchester (21 mins)
    2/9/17 9.29AM Manchester -> Faro

source: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/g-chtz

Hope this helps
  • ollyols
    Options
    Hi Guys,

New to this forum so forgive me if this has been asked.

Me and My wife were delayed from Hurgarda to Manchester for 16.5 hrs with Thomas Cook on the 18-08-2017, We Have started a compo claim with TC thorugh Reslover (very good service i must say).
    We have now recived a relpy from TC saying the delay was caused by Air traffic control and therfore it is not there fault and will not pay.

Now the thing is we were given 2 letters from TC during the delay (1 in Hurgada and 1 in Manchester) The 1st letter says the delay was caused by a tec fault in Hurgarda and had to be fixed before take off. The 2nd letter recived in Manchester says Tec Fault, Adverse Weather,and lastly Crew out of hours..
    Is TC trying to just cop out of paying or do i still have a case with the letters i have..
    Was anyone else on this flight and have you had the same responce???
    thanks for your help
    Ollyols
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family