Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

Centipede100
Centipede100 Posts: 107 Forumite
edited 2 July 2014 at 9:22AM in Flight delay compensation
MSE Official Insert:

This discussion thread is linked to from our Flight Delays Compensation guide. Please read that for full help.

Comments

• maz08
    maz08 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Hi Thanks for the updated forum, I have just recieved the below response from my template I sent them on 25/11/2012 requesting compensation from Thomas Cook and may have a fight on our hands.....( my flight was delayed 6 hours on 17/09/2012 Bodrum to Newcastle, reason fro delay was no flight and a aircraft was flwon in from Italy to collect us ....any further advice would be grateful:

"Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to us about your recent travel arrangements.

Having read the content of your letter, I can see that aspects of the holiday have given cause for concern. I am sorry that this is the case and would assure you that as a business, we utilise feedback to ensure that our products are improved and enhanced to reflect the needs of our customers.

We do advise all guests to view a brochure prior to their departure. This is because it contains valuable information for guests as well as containing the booking conditions, which form part of the contract between us. Our booking conditions state that a letter of complaint or claim for compensation should be sent to our Customer Relations Department within 28 days of their return from holiday. Failing to complain within 28 days of return may reduce or extinguish any rights the guest has to make a claim from us and ultimately may mean that we are unable to investigate your concerns.

In light of the above and due to the time that has elapsed since your return and writing to us, I regret to advise that we are unable to investigate the comments. Nevertheless, the information that has been supplied will be shared with our colleagues overseas and our Quality Assurance department, so that we can work with our suppliers to identify any immediate solutions.

In closing I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and regret any impact this may have had upon your holiday enjoyment.

Yours sincerely

Sean Rogers
    Customer Relations Team

Thanks Guys..!
  • Many thanks for the new thread. Fingers crossed for some successful claimants. I wonder if TC keep an eye on these threads at all?
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    maz08 wrote: »
    Hi Thanks for the updated forum, I have just recieved the below response from my template I sent them on 25/11/2012 requesting compensation from Thomas Cook and may have a fight on our hands.....( my flight was delayed 6 hours on 17/09/2012 Bodrum to Newcastle, reason fro delay was no flight and a aircraft was flwon in from Italy to collect us ....any further advice would be grateful:

"Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to us about your recent travel arrangements.

Having read the content of your letter, I can see that aspects of the holiday have given cause for concern. I am sorry that this is the case and would assure you that as a business, we utilise feedback to ensure that our products are improved and enhanced to reflect the needs of our customers.

We do advise all guests to view a brochure prior to their departure. This is because it contains valuable information for guests as well as containing the booking conditions, which form part of the contract between us. Our booking conditions state that a letter of complaint or claim for compensation should be sent to our Customer Relations Department within 28 days of their return from holiday. Failing to complain within 28 days of return may reduce or extinguish any rights the guest has to make a claim from us and ultimately may mean that we are unable to investigate your concerns.

In light of the above and due to the time that has elapsed since your return and writing to us, I regret to advise that we are unable to investigate the comments. Nevertheless, the information that has been supplied will be shared with our colleagues overseas and our Quality Assurance department, so that we can work with our suppliers to identify any immediate solutions.

In closing I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and regret any impact this may have had upon your holiday enjoyment.

Yours sincerely

Sean Rogers
    Customer Relations Team

Thanks Guys..!

Standard letter from TC so LBA next. Stick to the facts. Be clear that this is not a mere ask for compensation, it's a statutory right that supercedes booking conditions.
  • new to this forum so please bear with me if not using it properly.
    I was delayed over 8hrs Edinburgh to Tenerife on 12/10/2012 and sent compensation claim to Thomas Cook who refused to pay out because it was a Bird Strike and therefore extra-ordinary circs.
    My question is 1) is a bird strike classed as extra-ordinary?
    and 2) how do i know that this was the reason?

Anyone on that flight have any luck in compensation?
    Thanks and sorry if this has been answered before. I have looked over previous questions.
  • Gorbar
    Gorbar Posts: 111 Forumite
    Articles 5 to 7 of Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 February 2004 establishing common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding and of cancellation or long delay of flights, and repealing Regulation (EEC) No
    must be interpreted as meaning that passengers
    whose flights are delayed are entitled to compensation under that regulation

where they suffer, on account of such flights,

a loss of time equal to or in excess of three hours, that is, where they reach their final destination three hours or more after the arrival time originally scheduled by the air carrier.
    This is a reply I received from the Directors Office today in regard to Flight TCX 7175 departing Corfu on 8/10/2012. It would be interesting to hear from anybody else on this flight
  • Gorbar
    I would like to hear if anybody on Flight TCX7175 8/10/2012 from Corfu to Bristol have managed to claim compensation
  • Gorbar wrote: »
    I would like to hear if anybody on Flight TCX7175 8/10/2012 from Corfu to Bristol have managed to claim compensation

Likewise TCX253 Hurghada to Manchester 19/3/2011
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!

• Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Gorbar, your reply just recites the ECJ ruling? Did they not say claim denied due to something or the other?
  • Gorbar
    Mark, they told me a FAC1 fault. I have disputed there refusal. & even went as far as the Directors Office but no luck. Of course the Top Dogs won't have anything to do with us poor surfs
  • doz123
    doz123 Posts: 49
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Was anyone on the Thomas cook flight TCX 908k form Manchester to Santorini 31/08/2010 8 hours delay. Also the return journey on 14/09/2010 Santorini to Manchester TCX 908L 7 hours delay so it total on our holiday we had 15 hours delay. I have written to THomas Cook with the template letter (thank you) November 5th received a letter back saying they are looking in to it and we will receive a reply within 28 days. I have contacted them again this week and they claim they are still looking into the problem and they are very busy. By the way just seen a program on the BBC 9.26am stating most people should be able to claim compensation. Can anyone advise me should I wait for a reply from Thomas Cook or contact the CAA thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure