Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

Comments

• badbobby
    badbobby Posts: 59 Forumite
    badbobby wrote: »
    I've got their "defence" but it just says that it was due to "unforeseen techincal reasons" - ECs. It has no more than that - I had a little more detail in our correspondence last year.

Questionnaire has arrived today, so I'll be sending that off tomorrow.

Off we go.

Out of interest, I've only claimed for the statutory compo, interest and court fees.

In my haste I forgot to add the meal vouchers that they didn't give us (no reps in Salzburg or Innsbruck).

Am I able to add these to my claim when I prepare my bundle?
  • Only if you have the receipts. And if you do have these, send copies not originals.

Is it not a statutory requirement to supply the vouchers?
  • No, it is a requirement that you be provided with meals and refreshments (or vouchers) but your only comeback is to sue for any expenses you incurred for these items that the airline failed to provide.

If you have no proof of such expenditure, then you would be unable to substantiate any claim in court.

Thanks - I'll make sure I add it as a point in my bundle if not as a monetary claim.
  • Gorbar
    Gorbar Posts: 111 Forumite
    I contacted the CAA regarding TC informing me that they had not heard from the Greek authority. The CAA advised me to contact the Greek authority & ask them for a copy of what they sent to them, then perhaps I can copy it & send to them by recorded delivery, they won't be able to deny it then
  • maghater
    maghater Posts: 349
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    maghater wrote: »
    Been fighting this one for nearly 7 months, submitted MCOL when TC failed to respond to my "final letter" within 28 days. Have just received a letter from them saying the delay was caused by a third party (an airport worker) failing to disconnect the fuel pipe properly, resulting in "severe damage to aircraft", and therefor wont pay compensation. They were asked by AESA (Spanish equiv of CAA) to send a report, which after two months they had not done. The AESA then informed me and Thomas Cook that the company had not proved that the long delay was caused by extraordinary circumstances, and that they therefor should stump up. I would welcome any advise please.

Just been directed to a CAA webpage CAP78 "aircraft fuelling and fuel installation management"
    section 2 is on apron safety management, and
    2.2 states that "aircraft operating companies should appoint a competent person to supervise the observance of correct aircraft fuelling procedures.................................and should remain in the apron area while fuelling is taking place". Am going to send CAA copy of letter, as it would appear to be a serious breach of public safety
  • Hi Guys ,
    I have been battling TC since August re 6 hour delay from Tunisia.
    After serveral letters & emails too & forth, I decided to send the template letter from on here at the end of November.
    I waited til the last week in December to write to the CAA ( as I could tell from the posts on here that TC would drag their feet)
    I haven't had a reply from the CAA ( I realise they will take several weeks to get back to me)
    I have however had 2 further letters from TC, one saying they were sorry for delay & they would get back to me in due course & one dated 29th December saying the following :-
    " I am sorry that you remain unhappy with the way your complaint has been dealt with initially & the further comments you have made will be certainly be considered.
    Following a review of your entire case, you will be contacted again with a view to bringing this matter to a satisfactory conclusion for all concerned.
    In the mean time I apologise for any delay in our further reply "

Does this mean I'm making any progress?
    I have emailed TC this evening , reminding them of this case & informing them I have reported them to the CAA & giving them 14 days to sort this out or I will start legal proceedings.

What are your thoughts - many thanks
  • Just thought I would also say that TC have admitted the delay was due to an Aircraft change ( not EC's)
  • cfpg02
    cfpg02 Posts: 7
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 20 January 2013 at 1:57PM
    Hi,
    We were delayed 4 and a half hours on TCX2033 on 22 Sept from Rhodes to Manchester.
    The pilot told us the delay was due to TC having a problem with another plane at East Midlands earlier in the day, so "our" plane was diverted to deal with the passengers there before coming out to Rhodes. He said the crew had all had a very long day because TC was "forced to make 2 planes do the work of 3".
    I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has claimed for this flight or can give any more information on the events on 22 Sept at East Midlands to help explain the delay.

I used the template to draft a letter to TC on 31 Dec and have just got the "standard" response letter as in #3.
    I will reply with an LBA and give them another 14 days, but should I be writing now to the CAA as well?

And I saw in an earlier post on the main thread that emailing [EMAIL="dob@Thomascook.com"][email protected][/EMAIL] gets a rapid response from the directors - do you think I should copy the mail to that address?

Thanks
  • Hi, I had my third refusal due to technical difficulties reply from Thomas cook & forwarded it on to the CAA on the 1st of January but havent heard anything back yet (except for the automated acknowledgement email). I would be interested to know if anyone else on Flight TCX2108 Manchester to Larnaca Cyprus departing 22/08/12 have been sucessful in claiming. Are Thomas Cook the worst airline for dragging their feet with claims or is it likely that they can claim that technical difficulties are exceptional circumstances?
  • MCSAVE
    MCSAVE Posts: 54 Forumite
    Hi, I had my third refusal due to technical difficulties reply from Thomas cook & forwarded it on to the CAA on the 1st of January but havent heard anything back yet (except for the automated acknowledgement email). I would be interested to know if anyone else on Flight TCX2108 Manchester to Larnaca Cyprus departing 22/08/12 have been sucessful in claiming. Are Thomas Cook the worst airline for dragging their feet with claims or is it likely that they can claim that technical difficulties are exceptional circumstances?

I was on this flight, TC are claiming a hydraulic failure on a separate flight in the fleet with my case, I'm at the court stage now. What reasons have they given to you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure