New Talktalk poll; feedback needed, good and bad

Comments

• Like the poster above, I applied in January and my phone has been active for over a month and my broadband was activated 2 weeks ago now.

I had just moved into my house in December, there was no phone line active so I had to get an activated BT line first before I could switch to TalkTalk. I had no existing service before that.

The only problem I had was on day 2 of broadband when I couldn't get Internet but I let the Talk&Go software diagnose the problem and it fixed the issue for me.

So far the broadband has been very fast and I've had no other problems. Glad I went with them.

I'm on TalkTalk 3 International plan, it's suposed to be free to call 30 countries but I was charged for my first month of international calls. Only when I read the back of my bill did I see a notice saying that to get free international calls I had to put a prefix in place first. I didn't see any mention of that on the website :confused:

Overall, very happy so far even if the wait for broadband was 6-7 weeks
  • bobbyron
    bobbyron Posts: 18 Forumite
    i joined talk-talk broadband/free phone calls, last july i have been more than happy with them.two weeks ago they wrote to me giving a specific date, when for 2 hours i would be without service for broadband/phones as they where adding their own system to B.T.'s lines as b.t where dragging their feet. this has now been done.my dial-up speed has increased from 2.2 to 5.8! all this for £21.00 per month.....
  • oriental
    oriental Posts: 14 Forumite
    I have been with talktalk since march last year.No problems at all.Exchange was upgraded last week.ADSl speed has gone up to 5.5meg
    Only problem that i have noticed since last week (after upgrade) is that i am unable to use any alternative providers.18185 for example can not be used anymore.( i was using it for calls to mobiles at 6p/minute)
    it does not matter too much as i am using other provider with 0844 access number.
    hope this is useful feedback for some
    Snootchie Bootchies!
  • Similar experiences to others...

Talk talk signed up for when we moved house in September 06. No problems setting up and worked fine for a bit.

However, we have been having increasingly frequent periods with no internet access. A few help forums identified the loss of DNS settings. It's worth going into your modem settings and noting down the relevant numbers - you'll have to re-enter them at some point!

We also had our phone cut off with no notice. Apparently we had not being paying our bill. As we had a confirmation email saying the direct debit was set up ok this was a tad confusing. Having been passed from pillar to post with customer services it turned out they'd not managed to collect the direct debit. Not contacted us, just cut us off. When they did finally take payment they forgot to take off the call restriction.

Amusingly you can't even call the 'free' talk talk customer service line when the restrictions on. As opening hours are also limited we effectively had nearly a week disconnected due to talk talk incompetence - yet the broad band still worked?! Customer service was either dreadful or good...bit of a lottery. I'll be looking into leaving and going to a more reliable service as early as possible.
  • oldnick
    oldnick Posts: 41 Forumite
    i applied in December, got phone service 27th dec, then lost my broadband app. finally 8th feb got broadband. Customer service is as bad as BT and that is saying something.

Narked that tech support closed at 8pm, but have to admit with BT was getting 1800mb whereas with talk talk getting 2900. Much faster.

Some unreliability have lost service for 14 hours once and a couple of hours a couple of times, but hey, bill averages £23, whereas BT was £60+.

For that I'm quite happy!
  • oldnick
    oldnick Posts: 41 Forumite
    If you want excellent customer service, use the "if you wish to cancel your service press" option. The staff on there are really on the button. Sadly they seem to be the only ones that are!
  • sjpsam
    sjpsam Posts: 325 Forumite
    sjpsam wrote: »
    After over 6 months of trying to get my broadband sorted out, then cancelling my talktalk package and now being taken to court for money I supposedly owe to them, after the line was supposed to be disconnected in December and they still have not disconnected it and me calling them god know how many times to get it cut off! I was reading round some other forums about talktalk. I managed to get an email address for Charles Dunstone so I emailed him yesterday and within an hour or so I received this response!

"Dear Mr and Mrs Pickering

Many thanks for your email, I am extremely sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing with the continued billing of your Talktalk account and concerned that you have had to contact to me in search of resolution.

I have got someone investigating what has gone wrong and we will be back to you shortly.

In the meantime, please accept my sincere apologies

Regards
    Charles Dunstone"

I don't know whether or not it is him personally, but at least I have got something to go back to the debt recovery company with for now :T

The email address I have is dunstonec@cpw.co.uk

I have just had a call from talktalk, after several emails back and forth to one customer service advisor that was assigned to my account, I am finally receiving a full credit on my account and everything should be cleared and disconnected on 16th March :T
    :) If you like what I say please say thanks :)
  • just dont do it!

I'm not a huge complainer and I would put up with a lot to get a cheaper service but having been with talk talk for over a year on the evenings and weekend deals and the £17.99 2mb service I waited before I took the plunge to the free service because I dint want to be tied into a contract with them.

Broadband went live in mid feb! great 8mb speeds. v happy then they migrated my line over to their service. I lost my broadband then my incoming calls failed and then 2 days later outgoing calls packed up!

Ok, this is bad but its not the real problem, ok, they cannot provide the service they claim (and still havent) its the staff! morons to a man/woman!

I went through 2 indian call centres calls where they read from a sheet to trouble shoot my problem, I asked for the supervisor - equally uselsss then on my 3rd call I got through to the south african technical centre to be greeted by a man so rude abrupt and unpleasnt that I nearly told him to go and do something to himself! anyway, he patronised me (I am v techy and I know exactly what's what with my pc) for 10 mins then failed to log my call!

Rang back the next day, nothing been done, spoke to another abrupt south african who patronised me again but did have the good grace to log my call!

Next day nothing. I rang disconnections to complain and a competant man told me that waiting 3 days to sort their service out would be quicker than going to virgin or bt etc.. anyway, 1 more phonecall and I ended up in what I think is there sheffield ccall cnetre talking to a 15 year old boy who informed me my problem was fixed and my call closed ! I was on my mobile for 15 mins to the 0870 number because I could get onto sayno to 0870! He then ignored my rantings and his supervisor fobbed me off and said I was back in a 3 day queue! Ok day 10 of the problems and suddenly everrything started working again! until day 11.... the phone has broken again! and I have to email them and previously I have found that emails dont get answered!

They are awful. sub human customer service from the only indian call centre where english isnt a requirement of the job, the south african call centre where they are incouraged to be rude to the customers and the uk call centre with child labour!

Think very carefully! £20 for 8mb and free phone calls is unbeatable and they know that! but its no use if it doesnt work!

oh forgot to say they refunded my £20 line rental but being offline for 10 days has posibly cost me a lot more in business as I an a freelance and 2 days a week I spend bidding for work from home!
  • dan12345
    dan12345 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Applied end of Jan 07, went live early March 07.

Some minor niggles (we were without broadband for a day) but all running fine. Call centres are frustrating but my tip is if you don't like the person your dealing with just end the call, redial and chances are you'll get through to someone more helpful!

Line rental, all local, national and most international calls and broadband for £22/month....I would say it's still worth giving them a chance
  • sjpsam wrote: »
    I managed to get an email address for Charles Dunstone so I emailed him yesterday and within an hour or so I received this response!

"Dear Mr and Mrs Pickering

Many thanks for your email, I am extremely sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing with the continued billing of your Talktalk account and concerned that you have had to contact to me in search of resolution.

I have got someone investigating what has gone wrong and we will be back to you shortly.

In the meantime, please accept my sincere apologies

Regards
    Charles Dunstone"

I don't know whether or not it is him personally, but at least I have got something to go back to the debt recovery company with for now :T

The email address I have is dunstonec@cpw.co.uk

I emailed him in November and got the same reply, so I guess it's a standard response ........
    Claimed back in 2007
    Barclays Bank £2245
    Barclaycard £ 504
    Capital One £ 100

NOW SAVING LOTS OF MONEY!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts