New Talktalk poll; feedback needed, good and bad

in Phones & TV
759 replies 147.1K views

Replies

• KatyagKatyag Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Would be grateful for some quick advice.

Just had Talk Talk guys at the door (im useless at getting rid of door step callers!) and they gave me their speil about it all. Now it all sounds tempting £20 a month for it all.

But.....im already with AOL for calls and BB and told them that, they then said Talk Talk bought over AOL (i knew that) and that nothing would have to change (email address, connection etc) just i wouldnt be paying BT for line rental anymore.

If that really is the case then fine i would do it as not much change. I refuse to change my email address as we have had it so long and got so much connected with it it would be far too much hassle to lose it. So told then hubby isnt home til late and i wasnt signing up to anything without speaking to him and they said ok they will come back tonight.

So is it really that simple or will it be hassle like others have had??

Thanks.
    Bringing up 2 handsome boys and 1 gorgeous girl the MSE way!
    Joseph born 19th December 2001
    Matthew born 8th August 2007
    Tara born 23rd January 2011
  • Firstly AOL bought over Talk Talk. AOL are umpteen times bigger than Talk Talk, and far superior in terms of customer service , support etc. The wise thing to do would be to wait for a while and see how they merge and wether AOL will rectify the shortcomings that Talk Talk have BEFORE switching or if they intend to run them seperately. Quite often a big name like AOL will buy up a rival just to have 2 brands in the marketplace to maximise sales but the smaller concern always stays the poor relation in the family. Also consider your current connection speed....I was told I had a speed of 2mb in my area and 2 yrs on I am still at only 0.5mb. They always tell me its the quality of my line....but I had a 5mb connection before I switched to talktalk, so I think I won't be getting it any time soon either. If in doubt do nothing....just watch for a while.
  • Firstly AOL bought over Talk Talk. AOL are umpteen times bigger than Talk Talk, and far superior in terms of customer service , support etc. The wise thing to do would be to wait for a while and see how they merge and wether AOL will rectify the shortcomings that Talk Talk have BEFORE switching or if they intend to run them seperately. Quite often a big name like AOL will buy up a rival just to have 2 brands in the marketplace to maximise sales but the smaller concern always stays the poor relation in the family. Also consider your current connection speed....I was told I had a speed of 2mb in my area and 2 yrs on I am still at only 0.5mb. They always tell me its the quality of my line....but I had a 5mb connection before I switched to talktalk, so I think I won't be getting it any time soon either. If in doubt do nothing....just watch for a while.

AOL did not buy Talk Talk . Talk Talk bought AOL UK.

http://www.techworld.com/mobility/news/index.cfm?newsID=7076&pagtype=all
  • Katyag wrote:
    Would be grateful for some quick advice.

Just had Talk Talk guys at the door (im useless at getting rid of door step callers!) and they gave me their speil about it all. Now it all sounds tempting £20 a month for it all.

But.....im already with AOL for calls and BB and told them that, they then said Talk Talk bought over AOL (i knew that) and that nothing would have to change (email address, connection etc) just i wouldnt be paying BT for line rental anymore.

If that really is the case then fine i would do it as not much change. I refuse to change my email address as we have had it so long and got so much connected with it it would be far too much hassle to lose it. So told then hubby isnt home til late and i wasnt signing up to anything without speaking to him and they said ok they will come back tonight.

So is it really that simple or will it be hassle like others have had??

Thanks.

You would be changing to Talk Talk Lock Stock and Barrel. Including new E-mail addie.

Its not a good idea to move your line rental away from BT anyway.;)
  • KatyagKatyag Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Many thanks, thats made my decision, will stick with what i know rather than have issues, dont need anymore things going wrong just now! lol

Ironically the guys never came back like they said they would, thank goodness!!
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Katyag wrote:
    Many thanks, thats made my decision, will stick with what i know rather than have issues, dont need anymore things going wrong just now! lol

Ironically the guys never came back like they said they would, thank goodness!!
    That would worry me. There have been numerous cases of slamming and, although TT now own AOL, I wouldn't be surprised if the cold caller would earn commission if he 'switched' you.

Keep you eyes open for a 'welcome' letter from TT!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • KatyagKatyag Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Heinz wrote:
    That would worry me. There have been numerous cases of slamming and, although TT now own AOL, I wouldn't be surprised if the cold caller would earn commission if he 'switched' you.

Keep you eyes open for a 'welcome' letter from TT!

Thanks for the warning, will keep an eye out. Have my suspicions someone else let them into the building earlier and as i have the security system on they wouldnt be able to get a hold of us to let them in tonight.

I need to toughen up when these people ring my bell! lol
  • hurrahhurrah Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    The cold callers would not be employed by Talk Talk proper ,they would have been working for an agency most likely on commission only.
  • sjpsamsjpsam Forumite
    325 Posts
    After over 6 months of trying to get my broadband sorted out, then cancelling my talktalk package and now being taken to court for money I supposedly owe to them, after the line was supposed to be disconnected in December and they still have not disconnected it and me calling them god know how many times to get it cut off! I was reading round some other forums about talktalk. I managed to get an email address for Charles Dunstone so I emailed him yesterday and within an hour or so I received this response!

"Dear Mr and Mrs Pickering

Many thanks for your email, I am extremely sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing with the continued billing of your Talktalk account and concerned that you have had to contact to me in search of resolution.

I have got someone investigating what has gone wrong and we will be back to you shortly.

In the meantime, please accept my sincere apologies

Regards
    Charles Dunstone"

I don't know whether or not it is him personally, but at least I have got something to go back to the debt recovery company with for now :T

The email address I have is [email protected]
    :) If you like what I say please say thanks :)
  • mjdh1957mjdh1957 Forumite
    655 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    I signed up for their telephone and broadband service in January and the broadband has just gone live today. Had no problems setting it up (once I'd worked out that one of the password characters was an l and and a 1) and it's all connected and working.

Very relieved after all the worries of reading stuff like this board!
    Retired in 2015.
    Moved to Ireland September 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ask An Expert: Rewind

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals