• hI

i JUST TESTED MY BROADBAND AND THE RESULTS ARE

Speed Test Results
    Date 04/05/07 21:09:20
    Speed Down 6666.44 Kbps ( 6.5 Mbps )
    Speed Up 370.21 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )
    Port 8095
    Server speedtest1.adslguide.org.uk

Link: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/11783094613499708112.html
    You can give out this URL to other people to show them this speedtest result.

i THINK THAT IS VERY GOOD CONSIDERING EVERYONE ELSES PROBLEMS
  • This is turning into a nightmare.

Moved into new house in early March. Tried to sign up with Talk Talk, but they said that I had to have a registered BT line first (line was disconnected), but that it wouldn't be a problem as I could transfer to Talk Talk within "the 2 week cool off period" and would incur no charges.

I naively sign up with BT, proudly go back to Talk Talk who then tell me that the line has to be in operation for a minimum of 14 days before transfer, effectively commiting me to a £40+ BT bill for my 3 month minimum contract :confused:

However, undaunted, I sign up with Talk Talk in late March. Initially things look good. Given a "Going Live" date of 26th April. Modem arrives a few days early. Useful looking info pack as well. I start to get my hopes up.

On the "Going Live" day, the phone transfers over and I have had a seamless, unbroken service ever since. No probs whtasoever.

HOWEVER, the Broadband is a different story. The modem point blank refuses to get a connection. OK, I say, Technical Support here I come. First foray was awful. Polite Indian chap who convinced himself that the problem was my Internet Explorer options. Eventually, I was promised a return call within 48 hours by a Second Line technician. This never arrived.

A few days later, I try again. This time a polite Indian lady actually got me connected by "changing my profile". Yippee. I was sorted. Imagine my consternation when she actually phoned back a few minutes later to say that "what she had done was dangerous to my line and would have to be switched off". Second line contact within 24 hours was promised and this time actually materialised on a Saturday afternoon (never been so happy to hear a Geordie accent !). The guy knew his stuff and within a few minutes I was connected and off.

So far so average. However, over the next few days, I noticed a pattern of good connection in the mornings, intermittent connections in the afternoons and no connections in the eveneings. Back to Technical Support (it takes about 1/2 hour per call minimum remember).

The first polite Indian gentleman tried fiddling with my profile settings, but must have got confused or bored because he eventually hung up on me. The second polite Indian gentleman also tried different profile settings but stuck with it long enough to refer me back to 2nd line this time promising me a call before 5:30pm the next day. Ah no, I say, I am a workin man like you and am only at home in the evenings. Can they phone after 5:30pm ? Certainly sir he says. OK, I say, I'll await the call.

Trouble is, the next morning I realised that all the profile changes instigated by the polite Indians had resulted in no connection whatsoever. So effectively my 1.5 hours on the phone to Technical Support had resulted in taking me backwards not forward.

The real kicker is that the call from 2nd line Technical Support arrived this afternooon (on my mobile) whilst I was in a meeting at work. As I wasn't available to take their call, the message informed me they were marking the call as rectified and closing it. So basically, in one evening Talk Talk Technical Support in India hung up on me, destroyed what poor level of service I had AND lied to me. Not a bad 1.5 hours work.

And to finally put the boot in, I've got to go through it all again tonight as it's the only option open to me. Give me strength. I so much want to make this work, but if things haven't got better by next week, I will be exercising my right to cancel within 30 days.

How can any company expect to offer this level of service and survive? I know that using Indian call centres is cheap in comparison to UK ones, but what about value for money ? Surely Talk Talk must realise that this is driving customers away into the arms of their competitors.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    But there are more people transfixed by the word 'free' than they can handle - so they don't give a **** about losing half of them.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • GnidGnid Forumite
    112 Posts
    I agree with you Heinz...the £20 and the word "free" is so attractive, people wants to risk it...

but people should realise that they can lose more than £20...because if it doesn't work you are paying over the top (i.e. giving £20 for nothing or very little) and it is VERY HARD to cancel and switch...
  • moni72moni72 Forumite
    69 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am considering joining the above package which is £24.99 per month for broadband/line rental/free calls 9am-5pm.

It would be a new connection. Are new connections going smoothly? Is their customer service any better? I don't want to join if it's going to affect my business as we need broadband and calls to be consistent obviously.

What is the consenus on them? Would people stay clear or go with it???
  • hurrahhurrah Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    moni72 wrote: »
    I am considering joining the above package which is £24.99 per month for broadband/line rental/free calls 9am-5pm.

It would be a new connection. Are new connections going smoothly? Is their customer service any better? I don't want to join if it's going to affect my business as we need broadband and calls to be consistent obviously.

What is the consenus on them? Would people stay clear or go with it???

Give them a wide berth as the chances are you want get the service a business needs.
  • kr.fletchkr.fletch Forumite
    13 Posts
    Been with Talk-Talk 6 months now
    No problems , never let us down at all. best move we have made !

Previously with... pipex- homecall , now they are really really bad
    should be called sh*tex-nocall
  • hurrahhurrah Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    kr.fletch wrote: »
    Been with Talk-Talk 6 months now
    No problems , never let us down at all. best move we have made !

Previously with... pipex- homecall , now they are really really bad
    should be called sh*tex-nocall

Early days yet.:D
  • nemo183nemo183 Forumite
    637 Posts
    I know that Martin likes to keep on top of his facts, but this poll hardly does him credit and I'd suggest he junk it.

For a start, it has less than 800 replies, compared to talktalk's massive user base. Worse still, it's an "opt-in" poll. Most professionals will suggest that a disproportionate number of unsatisified customers will respond, making the "results" meaningless.

Even so, what results are shown suggest a majority who think the service is sound.

I'd suggest that a more useful thread might be one that concentrates on how best to apply pressure for their poor implementation of what should be a good, class-beating service.
  • GnidGnid Forumite
    112 Posts
    nemo183 wrote: »
    I know that Martin likes to keep on top of his facts, but this poll hardly does him credit and I'd suggest he junk it.

For a start, it has less than 800 replies, compared to talktalk's massive user base. Worse still, it's an "opt-in" poll. Most professionals will suggest that a disproportionate number of unsatisified customers will respond, making the "results" meaningless.

Even so, what results are shown suggest a majority who think the service is sound.

I'd suggest that a more useful thread might be one that concentrates on how best to apply pressure for their poor implementation of what should be a good, class-beating service.

nemo 183 - sorry i have to disagree with you. the word majority is misleading. Majority means 51%, last time i looked, it was 51% crap. Maybe it is now 51% going the other way.

It is correct to say majority but having a service where for every two people, one person is having problems isn't good.

The poll may not be that good since it is only 800 replies but some people don't even need to reply here, they have made dedicated websites showing how crap the service is.

the reputation of crap service is also stated in the newspapers.

it is also in other uk forums.

you only have to do a search on talktalk and you know how crap they are...

i also have to disagree with you on your last sentence

you can't argue it is a class leading service when they can't even deliver it to lots and lots of people.

poor implementation= crap service
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ask An Expert: Rewind

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals