New Talktalk poll; feedback needed, good and bad

Options

Comments

• nemo183
    nemo183 Posts: 637 Forumite
    Options
    Gnid wrote: »
    nemo 183 - sorry i have to disagree with you. the word majority is misleading. Majority means 51%, last time i looked, it was 51% crap. Maybe it is now 51% going the other way.

Well, currently it would seem that over 50% of respondents to this poll are happy enough to keep the service - in fact well over 50%.

I certainly think talktalk could do much better - very easily. For example, they could include in one of their self-serving letters of "slap-us-on-the-back, -we are -great" details of the ip address of their servers, and the protocols they use - thus saving many of us a long, tedious, expensive phone call.

But, on the other hand, to those of us who don't have cable, they have forced BT to hand over lines to a competitor.

By all accounts, talktalk now have around 1 million broadband customers - so if moneysavinexpert.com can't rack up more than 400 complaints, they must be doing something right.
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    Options
    Expect a lot of people to leave them when their 18 months contracts are up !!!
  • Gnid
    Gnid Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    nemo 183 - i agree with you - i would have love talktalk to work itself out, BUT i am not risking it with them at the moment

inshort, too expensive, too much effort on stupid things

when people start to leave and they can manage their customer base THEN i might considering joining them.

at the moment, i am staying well clear of them!
  • nemo183
    nemo183 Posts: 637 Forumite
    Options
    Gnid wrote: »
    nemo 183 - i agree with you - i would have love talktalk to work itself out, BUT i am not risking it with them at the moment
    inshort, too expensive, too much effort on stupid things
    when people start to leave and they can manage their customer base THEN i might considering joining them.
    at the moment, i am staying well clear of them!

I suspect the whole talktalk debate depends on your position. For me, (no cable option) according to BT, my broadband line (not including line fixed rental of over a tenner a month) will cost 14.99 per month, with a 512k/s download speed. Nothing can be done to increase this snail speed.

Talktalk give me no line rental cost, plus a download speed of in excess of 3000k/s, using the same line, for 19.99 month including all UK calls.

They did what they promised - took a little tweaking - but no worse than any other change of service provider.

I still say this thread just proves that talktalk now deliver what they they promise in their omnipresent TV ads.......
  • supermumno1
    supermumno1 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry but I have to say BEWARE OF TALKTALK. We have been with them for just a year now but I have finally cancelled my contract in utter disgust with them. First problems were when we had a line fault and it took over 2 weeks to get fixed and numerous calls to them to find out why/when etc. Every time was on hold for ages, only to be cut off on several occasions too. Now more recently we are moving house. VERY long story but involved over an hour of phone calls to and from Talktalk and BT neither of whom would take responsibility for transferring our number to the new house. (Unless I wanted a contract with BT for a year or to pay £70 to cancel my contract early with talktalk and then start over again !!!!!!?!!) and in the end after talktalk telling me I could no longer have free broadband either I told them where to shove their contract. They still then tried to slap a £70 penalty on me but I argued that they were breaking the contract not me by failing to provide a service they had agreed to. In the end verbally they agreed to waive that but time will tell when the final bill comes in. I cancelled my direct debit immediately and have signed up with BT again for phone and broadband.

Please please please dont use them, you will regret it.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    ...... and have signed up with BT again for phone and broadband.
    Please click the 'HERE' link in my signature below to see some suggestions on how to save on your telephone call costs.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Ms_Fluster
    Options
    Unlike so many poster's on here - I had a smooth and hassle free transition to TalkTalk. My lead time was just over 2 weeks. When I got home from work that day it was all up and running. Fantastic.

My problem now is that I am moving house - and as I am no longer a BT customer I am having to agree to a 12 month minimum contract with BT to reconnect an existing line. BT are thereby forcing me to be a customer (it used to be 3 months but they admitted to losing too many customers). TalkTalk are now letting me out of their 18 month contract without any hesitation or quibling. I am sorry to have to leave them and will probably resign in 12months time.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Ms_Fluster wrote: »
    My problem now is that I am moving house - and as I am no longer a BT customer I am having to agree to a 12 month minimum contract with BT to reconnect an existing line. BT are thereby forcing me to be a customer (it used to be 3 months but they admitted to losing too many customers).
    Don't blame BT for that - blame Talk Talk.

Talk Talk can pay for Openreach to connect/reconnect the new line (just like BT does) but refuse to go to that expense.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • maisieme
    maisieme Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I'm so upset with Talktalk.

I've just started seriously trying to get my debts sorted and i'm sailing close to the wind financially (due to over spending in the past). This month it means going into my overdraft again but with the overtime i've got coming next month I'm hoping to stay in the black.

I had a door to door caller talk me into going with talk talk about November last year - he basically charmed me into it but i was adament i would take the phone package only NOT broadband as I had heard bad things. Actually the switch over went well with no problems.

However, in March I was telephoned by Talktalk who successfully talked me into the Broadband aswell. I was surprised to receive a letter late March saying that due to having to check my BT line (my line was already with Talktalk) was able to receive broadband (already have Broadband through plusnet - whom may i say have been great!)and changing to talktalk I could not expect broadband until May!
    Eventually at the begining of May Talktalk called and asked me to get my MAC code from Plusnet (At this point i had already started paying the higher rate!) I tried to ask the caller some questions who kept repeating the script she was reading from and not answering my questions. Alarm bells were really ringing now but I emailed Plusnet for my MAC - they phoned me to talk me out of it and offered me a better contract for my situation.
    I then checked the original letter from Talktalk saying that once i was connected to their broadband i could cancel within 30 days with no penalty. I then called talktalk to ask if I could cancel before I was connected also with no penalty - 3 phone calls later and much fobbing off to different departments all who seemed not quite to understand what i meant i was told yes i could so I did!
    I then got my phonebill with the £70 disconnect charge on it - i was fumming - again several calls later and several people telling me that I ordered in March but cancelled in May which was more than 30 days and me telling several people what the letter they had said, they agreed to drop the £70. At this point I clarified that my next DD would be for £18.08 not for £88.08 and the chap on the phone said yes.
    I've just gone online banking to see they've taken the full £88.08 - so he LIED! and now i'm going to go over my free overdraft limited and i'm SO ANGRY and UPSET. :mad:
    Sorry for my rant - there's no point in calling Talktalk - I probably won't get through and I'll waste my valuable evening fuming whilst being on hold.
    I feel like some retail therapy now to calm me down and make me feel better :cry: :wall:

I will be strong and eat buscuits instead!

I hope others have had better luck with Talktalk?

I feel like telling them where to put their business but I'm far to nice!

Maisie
    If you want something bad enough you CAN do it! Honestly - I'm living proof:j :j
    Ashamed to still be so in debt :o :- As of June 07:- Capital One CC (0%) £5290.32
    Lloyds CC (0% paying interest on bt fee!) £2675.00 M&S CC (3.9%) £2800.00
    Morgan Stanley CC (0%) £3022.84 Virgin CC (0%) £3091.32 A+L Overdraft (0%)
    Most shameful of all is my lack of will power! - But I am proud to be dealing with my debts! (DFW Nerd 528!)
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    THE WOES CONTINUE.
    I THOUGHT SHARE DEALING WAS RISKY..WELL CHANGING YOUR BB TO TALK TALK IS JUST AS RISKY!

sorry for caps.
    Martin, is there is anything you can do to help us? Maybe something higher level to show the level of DISSATISFACTION with the customer service and so called "free" broadband which never seems to appear..

thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport