🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

40 Days up and nothing....(merged)

Options

Comments

• stoali0
    stoali0 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Many Thanks Kurt, my initial letter was from the example from this web site, I will write to them again, lets hope i get to second base this time!
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe also mention that the fact that you sent them more money than is necessary for this Data Information Request does not mean they can ignore it altogether, and that cashing in one cheque with no intention of proceeding with your request is dishonest, if not to say a criminal offence.
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
  • milagman
    milagman Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Have submitted initial DPA request template letter (including £10 fee) by proven Recorded Delivery. No response whatsoever.

After waiting the statutory 40 days I submitted complaint to Info. Commissioner who will eventually process. But Info Comm. basically admits that they are toothless on their web site.

Have sent Barclays a 7 day letter (as per template) (also by proven recorded delivery) Still zilch !

Where do I go now? Can I make estimated claim and threaten court action if not settled? Or what?

PS Info commissioner does agree that the initial 40 days are Calendar days
  • milagman
    milagman Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I previously asked the question as to whether it was working or calendar days allowed for response to DPA request.
    I have now had a reply from Information Commissioner that it is CALENDAR DAYS !!

However that and 7 day follow up have had absolutely no response from Barclays despite both letters having been delivered by Recorded Delivery

What now? have submitted complaint to Info Comm.
  • hoo22
    hoo22 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I have sent the 1st letter to HSBC asking for my record of charges, and using the template letter, mentioned the 40 day limit for them to respond.

It is now 49 days, and no response has been received.

The main advice on the web page says to call them, which I don't want to do, due to time and being messed around etc. and the only other thing it says is to contact the information commissioner, but the link only takes you to the main site, with no further info.

I would like to write write a letter along the lines of "you have broken the 40 response requirement" or at least know how to report it to the information commissioner.

I remember seeing a template letter for this situation on the forums when i first begun the process, can anyone help?

Many Thanks Everyone
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Originally Posted by Edinburghlass viewpost.gif
    Speak to your local branch, the bank's complaints/customer service department and their head office, I would do this daily to each department/branch until you find someone who will deal with your request for the information/statements.

Originally Posted by Rex_Mundi viewpost.gif
    Send THIS LETTER to the bank recorded delivery.

and/or complain at...

http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints.aspx

But please try not to take your frustration out on the person answering the phone :)

Also check if you can download your statements online as you can with Lloyds and HSBC.

Here is the template letter for the bank, by all means report to the ICO but they too are so busy they are only sending out complaints to the banks on a monthly basis.
  • jledi
    jledi Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    just found out hsbc have been stalling on sending me the bank charges they owe me by giving me the wrong account number, i haven't been with them for 3 years so i couldn't remember the account number it seems they have been sending me somebody elses details who didn't have any charges.
    just found the right account number and complained at my local branch who have assured me that this account has got all the charges applied to it, so here we go again.
  • tradelady
    tradelady Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    hi

Does anyone know of the best action to take if the banks don't send you a list of the charges that have been requested? I phoned them yesterday as the 40 days had past and both banks denied receiving my letters! After much persuasion they finally agreed to send them, but for some reason I'm not convinced.....
  • ufbc
    ufbc Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I am in same position . My 40 days are up next week what do I do as have not heard anything and they have not cashed £10 cheque?
  • tradelady
    tradelady Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    ufbc wrote: »
    I am in same position . My 40 days are up next week what do I do as have not heard anything and they have not cashed £10 cheque?

Don't think they have. They said yesterday that they will send the list without charge. But I think they're just fobbing me off!:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport