40 Days up and nothing....(merged)

Options
I have sent a letter to my old bank with a £10 postal order asking for my bank statements, there 40 days will be up on friday and i've had no contact from them at all except for me phoning my local bank to see if they recieved my letter ( which they did and forwarded it to the main branch that would deal with it), i don't think they are going to give me my statements, what should i do next if they ignore my letter????
Any help on this would be great.
Sometimes it seems that the going is just too rough.
And things go wrong no matter what I do.
Now and then it seems that life is just too much.
But you've got the love I need to see me through.
:j :j

Comments

• magyar
    magyar Posts: 18,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    [From Martin's guide]
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1141050760,24632,#step2

If you don’t get a reply, follow up with a phone call and then report it to the Information Commissioner for a breach.
    Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    vanilla wrote:
    I have sent a letter to my old bank with a £10 postal order asking for my bank statements, there 40 days will be up on friday and i've had no contact from them at all except for me phoning my local bank to see if they recieved my letter ( which they did and forwarded it to the main branch that would deal with it), i don't think they are going to give me my statements, what should i do next if they ignore my letter????
    Any help on this would be great.

If you don't get the statements by the 40 day deadline. You can use this template letter. I sent this to Natwest and got a very fast response.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • Kentlad
    Options
    Hope someone can help, I am at stage 1 of reclaiming bank charges, I sent the standard template letter and £10 to Smile bank (which they cashed!!) asking for a detail of all charges etc.

The sent a standard letter back stating "under the data protection, we will give you this info within 40 days".

However the 40 days is now up, (Today) I have had nothing from them. What are my next steps in getting this info, as the have taken the £10 are they not breaking the data protection act by not giving me the information I am legally entitled to.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Regards
    Ian.
  • michael1983l
    michael1983l Posts: 1,916 Forumite
    Options
    Kentlad wrote:
    Hope someone can help, I am at stage 1 of reclaiming bank charges, I sent the standard template letter and £10 to Smile bank (which they cashed!!) asking for a detail of all charges etc.

The sent a standard letter back stating "under the data protection, we will give you this info within 40 days".

However the 40 days is now up, (Today) I have had nothing from them. What are my next steps in getting this info, as the have taken the £10 are they not breaking the data protection act by not giving me the information I am legally entitled to.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Regards
    Ian.

the first thing I would do is call them and ask them whats going on. If not you get on to the data protection commision and report a breach of the rules.
  • tiger5000
    tiger5000 Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think I'm going to experience the same thing although, curiously (and amazingly!) Lloyds haven't cashed their cheque.
    I suspect that they're waiting to see when I go over my overdraft limit, try and cash it then, bounce it, and apply more charges!
    What happens after they've been reported for Data Protection breach?
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Send the letter in THIS POST. This should get things moving.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • michael1983l
    Options
    Supprise supprise the timescale passed by the banks when initially ordering my statments has now passed and not one set has arrived. This includes Barclays, Egg Card and Capital One. Is this the banks puposly wasting time to damage our resolves, has anybody else had this happen ?
  • tiger5000
    Options
    I've recently received a list of charges from Lloyds and, helpfully, a copy of all the statements where the charges have been applied. I suspected that they would drag it out, but they delivered ahead of time. I've got to applaud them for this, at least - though I suspect that they realised that I wasn't going to go over my overdraft this month!
    Meanwhile, I had already sent my 'demand' letter, having estimated their bill. Was actually quite accurate - proving that they are very consistent and efficient in emptying my account each month! ;-)
  • mikejmac
    Options
    i sent the first letter of to lloyds tsb and have not had a reply its nearly 40 days
  • cataline68
    Options
    I sent registered post letters to Barclays and A&L with cheques for £10 requesting my last 6 years bank statements, and 40 days later I have heard nothing from either of them. I want to take the next step but how can I when I don't know how much I am claiming for?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure