40 Days up and nothing....(merged)

Options

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Options

• rosie2424
    Options
    Hi
    I've just sent the first 3 of 5 initial letters to my banks requesting my charges info in 40 days. So far I've received 2 replys back - one from barclays refunding my £10 and saying that they would supply me with copy statements in the next few weeks without charge and warning me that prior to 2000 the info is manually stored and will take longer. I opened the account in 2003 so that tactic won't work on me!
    Has anyone else had a letter like this - what happened next, how did you proceed?
    The second letter from Natwest is telling me that they cannot give out my info until I provide them with a letter containing my signature - I signed the initial letter I know I did, although I'm starting to doubt myself now and of course didn't photocopy the letters I sent so can't prove that I did - won't make that mistake again!! Should I fax/post a copy of the letter again?

Help - I'm worried I've left it too late to claim my charges back!! :(

Rosie
  • carrielouise80
    Options
    hi,

you arent too late, just re-send the letter to natwest and it sounds pretty common practice with the barclays reply, stick to your time frame - i.e. they have 40 days to provide you with the statements etc. Don't worry, good luck
  • kazzadj
    kazzadj Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    I had 2 accounts with natwest & i sent off my letter req all details of charges on both accounts with £10. But they have only sent a batch of statements for one of the accounts.

Does anyone know how i proceed? I will send my letter claiming the charges on the first account, but obviously dont want to send another £10 for the other.

Also, as u can only claim back 6 years, is this from todays date, the date you wrote the first letter or what???

Thanks in advance.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    As some of the banks send the statements out in batches, phone your bank and check if there is more to come for the other account. They do have 40 days in which to comply with this.

The six years is acknowledged to start from when you request the information first.
  • kazzadj
    kazzadj Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

So, have you any idea as to whether I should send the next letter for the first account or wait to see if the other batch turn up.

Another thing i am unsure of is as i opened this Acc in Eastbourne & now live in Watford (and the acc is now closed). I'm not sure where i'd ring or write to next.

I've read its your local branch but not sure if this is the same as acc holding branch.

Thanks again
  • jimmyay
    jimmyay Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    i am fighting barclaycard, i wrote to them in early December, had to chase in early jan, they wrote back with a really snotty and patronising letter highlighting what were and weren't their obligations under the DPA, not doing themselves any favours in their attitude, saying theyd received the letter late and so clock hadnt started ticking, although they had cashed cheque, 40 days has now expired so i have sent final letter to them saying i'm going to the information commissioner if they dont respond within 7 days.
    they're coming across as extremely cycnical people with regard to the law and my rights and i'm not looking forward to fighting them .however their attitude to date is just spurring me on. hope it does to all those others who are being messed about too.
    :j
  • cutl
    Options
    I requested my bank statements back in december 2006 along with the £10 fee. After the 40 days I rang the bank (in the meantime they had written to me to say they would deal with my complaint quickly) they spun me a yarn saying they had sent off the appropriate faxes but had failed to notice that at the bottom it indicated the faxes had not been recieved by the appropriate person
    They agreed to contact me within three days (this never happened) I have contacted the information officer who agree they are failing to fulfill their obligations
    I have since sent the follow on letter
    What do I do now if they still fail to respond
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cutl wrote:
    I requested my bank statements back in december 2006 along with the £10 fee. After the 40 days I rang the bank (in the meantime they had written to me to say they would deal with my complaint quickly) they spun me a yarn saying they had sent off the appropriate faxes but had failed to notice that at the bottom it indicated the faxes had not been recieved by the appropriate person
    They agreed to contact me within three days (this never happened) I have contacted the information officer who agree they are failing to fulfill their obligations
    I have since sent the follow on letter
    What do I do now if they still fail to respond

Follow up your complaint to the Information Commissioner. They can force the bank to act. This will also help out future claimants if pressure is put on the bank by the authorities.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • BlueBee
    Options
    My boyfriend is trying to claim his bank charges back from halifax. I sent a letter on his behalf back in October 2006 along with a cheque for £5 asking for the last 6 years statements.

Halifax have only sent the last 2 years cleared my boyfriends overdraft (£1k) without his knowledge and closed his account down without his knowledge. Halifax are now refusing to talk to him because he no longer has an account with them.

My boyfriend has been down to his local branch a number of times and each time they have fobbed him off saying the rest of the statements should arrive within 7 days, they haven't.

What can we do to make Halifax give us the rest of his statements I mean we've paid for them for goodness sakes. I think this is a disgrace please can someone help me I don't know what to do next it's been 4 months
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure