🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Tmobile changes fair use policy to 500MB?

Options

Comments

• villainrom
    Options
    just had a chat with tmobile online,

here is what they had to say:

This functionality requires JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript and try again. To read the LivePerson accessibility policy, please go to the
    You are about to be connected to a new connection sales advisor for T-Mobile UK. Please note they do not have access to existing customer details and cannot process upgrades or queries related to an existing T-Mobile account. If you have a query of this nature please contact customer services on 0845 412 5000 or 150 from a T-Mobile handset..
    You are now connected with Emily.
    Emily: Hi there, my name is Emily. I am part of the dedicated T-Mobile Online Sales Team. How can I help you with your new order?
    Emily: Hi Steve
    Emily: How are you?
    steve: fine thanks,
    Emily: How May I help you with new order?
    steve: im looking to get a desire hd on contract and wanted to know about the unlimited internet
    steve: what is the fair usage policy
    Emily: Yes you will get Unlimited browsing with 3GB a month download limit
    steve: is it not 500mb from 1st feb?
    Emily: It is not 500MB
    Emily: Would you like to be helped with phone deal?
    steve: could you check this and confirm please
    Emily: There is no mention of Android phone
    Emily: I haven't heard from you for a while. Are you still there?
    steve: yes
    steve: it doe say that 'From 1st February 2011 we will be aligning our fair use policies so our mobile internet service will have fair use of 500MB.'
    steve: it says 'policies' not policy
    steve: so meaning all of them?
    Emily: Steve, We have not receive intimation about Android phone fair use policy
    steve: can you confirm this with your superior?
    Emily: Steve, Our Superior has informed about it
    steve: and what haave they confirmed?
    Emily: Steve, They have mentioned that Fair Usage policy is not applicable for Android phone
    steve: yes 1 moment please
    steve: does it make a difference wether the internet is included as part of a 'andriod' price plan or if it was purchased seperatley?
    Emily: It does not make difference
    steve: so the 3gb data fair usage will not be changing to 500mb on the 1st of feb? even though it states it on the link i gave you earlier?
    Emily: Yes it won't change
    steve: can i have your name and department please so i can quote you if i have any problems in the future
    Emily: My Name is Emily from Online sales team
    steve: could be a little more specific with your team? what is your managers name? or department number? for example.. ps10?
    Emily: Department is Online sales team
    Emily: You do not need our Manager's name
    steve: what is your id number? other tmobile reps give me this so i can track them faster rather than just a name, its a 9 digit number
    Emily: Steve, I am just recognised by My Name, I do not have id no.
    steve: are you sure as it will be hard to track you by just your name, as i said before i am normally given a department number or id number so people can be traced
    Emily: I am here available online by My Name
    Emily: I am recognised
    steve: what is your managers name
    Emily: I am sorry I not allowed to reveal Manager's name
    Emily: Thank you for chatting with us. Have a nice day!
    Thank you for chatting with us.

I have tweeted T-Mobile on this at http:/ /twitter . com/#!/VillainROM/status/24841860778303488

I would appreciate any RTs and DMs sent to them (I made a bit ly link for convenience).

They don't seem to follow me any more, as I think I asked them too many hard questions... Spread the word, and let's try to get some answers
  • mmpombears
    Options
    Quoted from Which's website

conversation.which.co.uk/mobile/mobile-phone-networks/t-mobile-drastically-cuts-data-usage-allowances/

Christopher@Which?

Hi guys, thanks for all your comments, please keep them coming.
    Our legal team is looking into this right now and we’ll have some advice going up on the blog later today or early tomorrow. We’ll also be contacting T-Mobile for a response based on what our legal team recommends.
    I also signed-up to T-Mobile based on their 3GB Android usage allowance – so I feel your pain!
  • N20Y1D
    N20Y1D Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mmpombears wrote: »
    Do you think sending their head office a recorded complaint letter, then canceling direct debit is the way forward? Or will that mean I have also breached their T&Cs and therefore wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court?

I would love to argue with them all day, but there's only so much time I'm willing to waste complaining to a call centre where employees are paid to read off a script.

I sent the my emails to addresses given here:

http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/resources/sites/TMOBILE/content/live/DOCUMENTS/0/DO187/en_GB/MC-19265-0609%20ComplaintsPolicy%20WEB.pdf
    TESCO EVERY LITTLE change to the t&cs HELPS
  • Gordon861
    Gordon861 Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    T-Mobile on HTC Desire, with Web'n'Walk+ included and free landline calls as my booster, since April 2010 (24 month contract).
    No txt yet to inform of changes.

I have spoken to the call center in the Phillipines and they said that the FUP changes do apply to me, so got put through to Customer Relations in Glasgow. He thought that is did include me even though I hadn't had the txt yet. So I informed him that under UK law this change is a fundamental detramental change to the T&Cs and therefore, as is my right, I wish to cancel my contract and required a PAK code. He said that the system won't allow him to create a PAK code without generating a charge as well.

After more discussions he said he'd speak to his manager, he came back and said that his manager spoken to the Tech team and she was told that the Android contracts are not included in the change after all. I asked for an email conformation from himself or his manager so I was put on hold again. He came back and said that his manager has been told by Legal not to send out a confirmation because Legal are trying to put together some form of clarification letter because things seem very confused right now.

He promises to get back to me today either by phone or email.

I also found this from October 2009 when T-Mobile last played silly !!!!!!s with the T&Cs, should be good ammo for this time http://www.bitterwallet.com/ofcom-back-consumers-right-to-cancel-t-mobile-contract-but-did-t-mobile-contact-you/20352

I don't think they really have any idea what's going on right now.
  • Demologic
    Options
    just had a chat with them, they didn't seem to sure tbh

I have an android contract, which i renewed yesterday after being told i would have 3gb allowance, which could be used for tethering etc

Rachel: Hi there, my name is Rachel. I am part of the dedicated T-Mobile Online Sales Team. How can I help you with your new order?
    Rachel: Hi Martin, how are you today?
    Martin: hi i just renewed my contract yesterday over the phone, and was told i had the 3gb top internet package for the contract . however a couple of my friends have said that you are reducing it to only 500mb. is this the case for me, i have not had any texts about it
    Rachel: I apologise for the inconvenience.
    Rachel: We have not received any confirmation on it yet
    Rachel: currently, the internet allowance change is only for other phones which have 1GB
    Rachel: It will be 500MB
    Rachel: No change on android phones internet allowance
    Martin: ok that good thanks for your help
  • chadwicksmith
    Options
    Gordon861 wrote: »

After more discussions he said he'd speak to his manager, he came back and said that his manager spoken to the Tech team and she was told that the Android contracts are not included in the change after all.

if that is true then it ties up with what the advisor told me?
  • BurningSnowman
    BurningSnowman Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 January 2011 at 4:33PM
    Options
    Here's my letter to the Code of Practice address in case anyone wants to do something similar. You will need to change various things, including the reason it will particularly affect you.

I think doing this (and sending it by post) is probably best, since you can refer the issue to the ombudsman (CISAS) when they say no - you need a deadlock letter or 8 weeks without resolution. As well as changing the details, you'll need to speak to a manager on the phone, otherwise you're not following their CoP rules.

You must include your full address, name, account no. or mobile no., and daytime contact number.
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The Complaints Investigation Department[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]T-Mobile[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]6 Camberwell Way[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Sunderland[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Tyne and Wear[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]SR3 3XN[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Dear Sir or Madam,[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I took out a contract with you on [**date**],[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] via [**reseller**], for a [**phone**] on a [**price**]/month 24-month contract, which includes Internet as a core part of the price plan.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]My account number is *** and my mobile number is ***. This is also my daytime telephone contact number.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I am writing in accordance with your Code of Practice to complain about the recently announced change to your Fair Use Policy, reducing the amount of data available for general Internet use, including streaming, from 1GB to 500MB.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]This change is of material detriment to me. I have recently started using music streaming services, as was my intention when I signed up for the contract, conscious of its 1GB FUP limit. In some months I have exceeded 500MB and, moreover, I was fully expecting to use more per month on average in the future, within the 1GB fair use limit. This constitutes[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] a [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]material detriment because it reduces the use that I can get from the service. I understand that further data is available at extra cost; this would be of material detriment too, because I would have to pay more to obtain a service matching or exceeding 1GB.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The Internet provision is clearly a Price Plan Service and not an Additional Service; it is printed on my bills as a core part of the service and was promoted by T-Mobile and its reseller as an integral part of the contract. It was and is provided as an “Internet” service, not merely for “browsing”.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Given that it is not an Additional Service and that its reduction is of material detriment to me, this change comes under section 2.11.2 of your own T[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]erms [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]& C[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ondition[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]s, and under section 9.3 of Ofcom's General Conditions. The latter states:[/FONT]

9.3 Where the Communications Provider intends to modify a condition in a contract with a Consumer which is likely to be of material detriment to the Consumer, the Communications Provider shall:

(a) provide the Consumer with at least one month’s notice of its intention detailing the proposed modification; and
    (b) inform the Consumer of the ability to terminate the contract without penalty if the proposed modification is not acceptable to the Consumer.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I understand that the changes come into effect from 1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]st[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] February. I was only given notice today, when I called your Customer Services department, so this is in breach of 9.3 (a). In addition, 9.3 (b) gives me the right to terminate the contract without penalty, regardless of the notice period, if you apply this change to our agreement.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I have contacted Customer Services by telephone as per the Code of Practice. I was advised by ***, a manager in Cancellations, that I would not be able to cancel without penalty despite the above points. I was told that Ofcom have approved the FUP changes in advance. Ofcom have since told me that they do not in fact approve any providers' specific FUPs. I am unhappy with your response and am therefore writing to you in accordance with your Code of Practice.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I am suggesting as a resolution that you agree to cancel my contract within 30 days without penalty, as per the above Conditions, and issue me with my Porting Authorisation Code.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I look forward to hearing from you.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Yours sincerely,[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]***[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
  • higgsy79
    Options
    T mobile are still advertising the 3gb fair usage for android and indeed 1gb for other plans

I took a screen I took from their website yesterday and its still on there today - out of order I would post the image but can't because I'm new.

I think this will boil down to how you account is set up. I have 2 android contracts, the first one took out 15 months ago and newer one took out 6 weeks ago is above, they are set up very differently, the older one having "mobile broadband plus" set up on it. I queried this with t-mobile at the time and they said the new one is just "how that price plan is set up" and you will definitely still get the 3gb data.

Again I have a picture comparing the 2 but can't post

T-mobile should be at the very least allow existing customers to keep the current FUP until the end of their contract.
  • ispartacus75
    Options
    if that is true then it ties up with what the advisor told me?

But if it is true why are people with a 3GB FUP getting the notification text?
    See the poll in my sig for more information.
  • peteb23
    peteb23 Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    But if it is true why are people with a 3GB FUP getting the notification text?
    See the poll in my sig for more information.

Maybe they are the people with the 3gb FUP rolled into their contract? Maybe the people not getting the text are the ones that pay the additional £5 a month for the web and walk Plus?

Just thinking out loud? I pay for WnW+ but haven't had an text... yet...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport