Get paid for free evening and weekend calls

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
167 replies 25.5K views
MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
8.3K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
Update 10 October

This offer is now closed, however if you signed up for it originally, it's important to note that now is the time to grab the redemption. The original note is still below for your reference.

Sign up to to either Primus Freetalk Plus 1, 2 or 3 before the end of March through Uswitch* and it'll give new customers a £5 per month rebate in four quarterly instalments. While this is simple to do, new MoneySavers should first read the 'Cheapest UK Home Phones Article'. In summary that will explain that this package should only be used as the main package, but then for calling mobiles (and if you just take option 2 not option 3, landline calls during the day) you need to use an override provider.

What is Uswitch?

Uswitch* is a price comparison company, however its logic stick to just one provider, which means use its solution and you'll pay over the odds for your phone supplier. However these special tariffs are only available through it. Once you've got them you can still use them for the two provider solution (as discussed in the home phone article. To get these tariffs there is no way to do a direct link, you have to go to Uswitch* and through its price comparison questions - just put in some rough answers then select primus from the table.

The Options
  • Primus Freetalk Plus 2 Free Evening and Weekend Calls To Landlines. Go direct and get the Primus Saver tariff and there's no monthly fee and you get free evening and weekend calls. Yet sign up through Uswitch and there'd be a £2.99 monthly fee. However in March there's a £5 per month rebate, so they're effectively paying you £2 to take out this package!
  • Primus Freetalk Plus 1 Free Weekend Calls To Landlines. This package is free plus you get the £5 per month rebate.

• Primus Freetalk Plus 3 Free Calls all-times to Landlines. For people who make calls during the day, Freetalk Plus 3 with the rebate is seriously cheap. With it you get unlimited calls to landlines during at all times for a £8.49 monthly fee. Yet after the rebate this is only £3.49 a month. You would need to make over 90 calls a month to make this worthwhile, or 3 midweek daytime calls per day.
How does it work?

Once signed up you'll be billed monthly by Primus and will receive your rebate as four £15 instalments on your bill. If you don't use the credit up it will be carried forward for an unlimited amount of time. You're not drawn into a 12 month contract but the rebate will stop after 12 months and making the tariffs normal price. You still need to pay your BT (or equivalent line rental every month).
threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• Martin MSE.

On the free e&w offer the Uswitch site only says the £5 a month credit opt is available in Feb have they extended it?
    PF.
  • MSE_ArchnaMSE_Archna Former MSE
    1.9K Posts
    MSE Staff
    Hi PF,

Uswitch/Primus have confirmed they are extending the offer until the end of March.
  • Puja_2Puja_2 Forumite
    106 Posts
    I did flag up this deal on 20/02/06 here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=154683

I have since spoken to Primus and they have confirmed the £5 payment (in £15 instalments as Martin said) and that you are not by any means tied into them for any period of time, so you can change to another provider, or another tariff if and when you would like to.

Thanks.
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Puja

Yes I know it's been elsewhere on the boards. I didnt include it last week as it was about to end, but once i got confirmation of the extension I decided to add it. As this thread is being linked to from both the tip and article I wanted to keep a full explanation which fits into the main site structure in the first note.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Telephone Boards to any new user coming into this thread from Martin's email.

If you have any questions please feel free to post them and the very helpful regulars on the Home Phone board will be pleased to answer or point you in the right direct.

The Internet board can be found here and the Mobile board is here.

icon7.gif

The lastest How Much Have You Saved post is here by a user who has saved £10 per month by using the Telephone Boards, the next one to post could be YOU.
  • thepearcethepearce Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I take it the Primus freetalk plus 1 isn't going to be extended then?

I'm reading on uswitch tonight £ zero cost per month, free weekend calls and a £5 monthly rebate???
  • paddyttpaddytt Forumite
    274 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I'm already on TalkTalk for my line rental - so Primus doesn't some up on the list to transfer to! It appears that you need to be with BT...?

If I switch back to BT, will the transfer be done by end-March to take advantage of the PRimus offer?

thanks
    TT
  • pricefighterpricefighter Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    paddytt wrote:
    I'm already on TalkTalk for my line rental - so Primus doesn't some up on the list to transfer to! It appears that you need to be with BT...?

If I switch back to BT, will the transfer be done by end-March to take advantage of the PRimus offer?

thanks
    TT

You can only CPS your calls to another Call Supplier if your line rental is with BT.
    It normally takes about 14 days to transfer.

It might be worth your while to see if TT can match offer.
    PF.
  • lynnechapmanlynnechapman Forumite
    210 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Could you do the Uswitch change through Quidco? It seems to appear that they would pay £8 for a change to your telephone provider?
    Lynne
    The Stephen Sondheim Society
  • pricefighterpricefighter Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Could you do the Uswitch change through Quidco? It seems to appear that they would pay £8 for a change to your telephone provider?
    Lynne
    The Stephen Sondheim Society

Yes i guess so,but if you use the link in the original post by MSE they give a small contribution to keep this excellent site going.
    PF.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals