Club lloyds 'Lifestyle Benefits'

Options

Comments

• lovemunkey187
    Options
    johnk wrote: »
    Gourmet society is best avoided.

What's wrong with the GS offer?

I still haven't decided which to go for.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 13 February 2016 at 5:10AM
    Options
    I have a club Lloyds account but regard the lifestyle benefits as of zero interest.
    If you actually want any of the things offered, fine but don't go for this account for the sole purpose of getting this benefit.
    I chose the Gourmet card and have actually used it but acceptance is quite limited and the restaurants will come up with various excuses not to accept it - a la carte menu only no discount on set menu - not valid certain days of the week - not valid in December - etc etc
    Another point worth noting is that unlike reward points or cashback the discount is deducted from the bill therefore if you are not paying for the meal yourself and wish to claim the cost of the meal as an expense, you will only get a receipt for the discounted amount and not the full price.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The lifestyle benefits are a nice additional perk, not anything fundamental like the interest and associated regular saver.

My missus has the gourmet card and we use it once a month or so, generally straightforward but has some limitations, often including Friday's, Saturday's and December. Places are happy to effectively accept custom as a discount in quieter periods, so the process is logical and sensible and saves me a few quid which is fine.

Not sure why you'd use it on a business trip paid for by expenses though, and expecting a receipt for more than you laid is heading towards positively cheeky.
  • lovemunkey187
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    I have a club Lloyds account but regard the lifestyle benefits as of zero interest.
    If you actually want any of the things offered, fine but don't go for this account for the sole purpose of getting this benefit..
    bigadaj wrote: »
    The lifestyle benefits are a nice additional perk, not anything fundamental like the interest and associated regular saver.

Thank you for the replies.
    I didn't notice the lifestyle perks when I applied for the account - I wanted it for the 4% interest.

I don't often buy magazines (and the ones I do semi-regularly buy are not part of the offer) so having one for the sake of it seems wasteful (the postage costs and added to my recycling each month). And I would forget to download a digital copy.
    I have a Cineworld card, so the cinema tickets are of no use.
    The GS one sounds like the best option. But I don't actually go out to restaurants when not on holiday (not been out for dinner in about 3yrs).
  • Prudence1
    Options
    It's the interest that attracts me to the account, not the life style benefits. But I am happy to receive County Living once a month, as it is not something I would actually buy with my own money.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I don't often buy magazines (and the ones I do semi-regularly buy are not part of the offer) so having one for the sake of it seems wasteful (the postage costs and added to my recycling each month). And I would forget to download a digital copy.

There are a few nice magazine titles- I'm thinking particularly of Country Living. When I have read mine it gets passed round to friends and then donated to a charity shop. Nice mags never get put in the paper bin!
    I didn't choose this account for the 'perks' either- but for the interest!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • ParaJon
    ParaJon Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    The GS Card is fantastic if used correctly.

Positives:

100's of places you can use it up and down the UK.
    Significant savings if you go out for a nice meal.
    Gives you more choice and reason to go to new places than your existing favourites.

Negatives:

It's very very hard to find a participating restaurant that will allow you to use it at peak times i.e weekends/ Friday nights.
    Almost always have to book in advance to avoid confusion with staff.
    Ex Bank Manager. Emergency Fund: £400/£2000
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for the replies.
    I didn't notice the lifestyle perks when I applied for the account - I wanted it for the 4% interest.

I have a Cineworld card, so the cinema tickets are of no use.
    The GS one sounds like the best option. But I don't actually go out to restaurants when not on holiday (not been out for dinner in about 3yrs).

People have reported on this forum taking the cinema tickets and then selling them, which is another option for a few quid.
  • littly_kitty
    Options
    I'm thinking of getting the cineworld tickets and then selling them on Ebay. I notice the ebay tickets *don't* mention a location. But in the Lloyds terms it says they will send tickets for the nearest cinema near you. So then won't it have a location?
    Or by nearest cinema supplier, do they just mean they will pick between Cineworld and Vue?
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There's no location on the cinema tickets.

Just says 'Vue' Cinema Voucher on mine with an expiry date.

Another suggestion is to gift them to someone. ;)

I get 6 tickets and give my 3 sons 2 tickets each. It's a night out for them plus 1. I have no interest in going to the cinema but they all enjoy it, so passing on the benefit. :D
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport