Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• philng
    philng Posts: 801 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    millie wrote: »
    Thanks just took a look and did the same as you £6 a month cheaper than the one I renewed with them in May. didn't know I could change it online either. Changed from 15th July date of the next meter read.

You could have just input change date as today to make even more savings on the cheaper tariff. AVRO will then split your next bill up to today on old rate & from today on new rate using a good estimate of readings based on your last input numbers.
  • Lononer2019
    Options
    Stay away if you are vulnerable. My mother has severe physical and mental health disabiliy. I hold power of attorney which was lodged with AVRO. .And they have ignored. They originally quoted £30 lower pcm than the exiting provider EDF. Based on the previous years consumption. We did our own readjustment as at the time they didn't have access to the Warm Home grant. We emailed that pur mother was vulnerable and they assure us that they would send out regular meter readers (They didnt) and they had a vulnerable customets register ( they dont). They slso lost the Lasting Power of Attorney sent 3 times and their finance team had no clue what that was and refused to speak to us when debt started to accrue.

After 2 months at £62 pcm they increased it with NO warning to £92 pcm. Remembering our mother is on benefits. They then changed to a winter/summer tariff at £92/£62 pcm. Again with NO warning. They then reduced it to £55 pcm. Then in the next month to £132 pcm. Not once did they send an appointment for a meter reading. They did reveal that they had cold called which is a totally unsafe approach towards vulnerable customets and one where the police categorically state us unsafe as it leaves vulnerable prople open to abuse.

WHEN we call enacting power of attorney they refuse to speak to us. They refused to respond to a complaint WHERE THE POWER OF ATTORNEY WAS ATTACHED. Our mother is now in debt of over £400. We took advice from the CAB who suggested setting uo a standing order to cover £92 pcm plus the agreed set rate for what would be deductions from benefit - this being more than she uses in the summer. AVRO knowing this was the advice refused. Now they email our mother directly threatening debt collectors. These emails always being from the finance team. We have tried to pay some using her debit card and they refused to accept. Because they can't see the power of attorney.

Our mother has literally been left suicidal by this. It is totally unacceptable to behave in this manner when you are told from the beginning that the customer is vulnerable. To jump around rates in that way makes it impossible of ANYONE to plan but it also flags up the possibility that AVRO deliberately offered an unrealistic offer to attract customers when they couldn't in reality sustain. Our mother has refused to turn on her hot water and heating for months. .Debt terrifies her. The emails sent to her are frankly appalling and the finance team are experienced as extremely aggressive and claim alternatively that they don't know she is extremely vulnerable or that is doesn't matter.
    Stay away from them. Their actions raise red flags regardless. If you are vulnerable this is a nightmare
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was with Avro for a year before switching away - nothing more than a money saving exercise. I never had a problem with them while I was a customer - although I self-serve online so only ever had cause to contact them once about my statements which I did via social media.

Leaving was hassle free and switches to different energy providers went smoothly.
    Requesting my credit balance refund was a little more time consuming. One switch for one energy completed 22nd April, the other energy on 1st May.

I received my final bill but no refund. I contacted them on 7th June and was told it had to go off to be checked (not sure what they were doing with it before I rang) and it would all be sorted by the 25th June, probably sooner.

28th June emailed them - reply 3rd July - refund finally received 11th July.

No problems as a customer - refund arrives but it takes time and patience.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Perhaps it is not an Ofgem requirement, I don't know, but I have been told by my big 6 supplier they refund any credit within 10 (probably working) days of a switch away from them.

I more or less formed the assumption this was supposed to be standard practice but suspect it is like the telecoms industry; the bigger you are, the more closely the regulator watches you so the small fry get away with murder on occasion.
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Biggus_Dickus Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    I was with Avro for a year before switching away - nothing more than a money saving exercise. I never had a problem with them while I was a customer - although I self-serve online so only ever had cause to contact them once about my statements which I did via social media.

Leaving was hassle free and switches to different energy providers went smoothly.
    Requesting my credit balance refund was a little more time consuming. One switch for one energy completed 22nd April, the other energy on 1st May.

I received my final bill but no refund. I contacted them on 7th June and was told it had to go off to be checked (not sure what they were doing with it before I rang) and it would all be sorted by the 25th June, probably sooner.

28th June emailed them - reply 3rd July - refund finally received 11th July.

No problems as a customer - refund arrives but it takes time and patience.
    • From 1 May consumers will receive at least £30 compensation for “erroneous switches” and delayed refund of credit balances.
    • Compensation for delayed switches and late final bills will be introduced later this year.
    Et al:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/customers-entitled-automatic-compensation-switching-problems-1-may
  • GSA
    GSA Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I switched in June 2018 to Avro which went very smoothly but sadly the leaving part was a nightmare. The switch took place on the 19th of June 2019 and I have been unable to contact Avro by telephone unless you accept an answering machine acceptable. They continued after I had left to collect payments by direct debit so I have cancelled the direct debit so that cannot continue. The direct debit was left in place so they could refund me the £260 of which I am in credit .
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Biggus_Dickus Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    Options
    GSA wrote: »
    I switched in June 2018 to Avro which went very smoothly but sadly the leaving part was a nightmare. The switch took place on the 19th of June 2019 and I have been unable to contact Avro by telephone unless you accept an answering machine acceptable. They continued after I had left to collect payments by direct debit so I have cancelled the direct debit so that cannot continue. The direct debit was left in place so they could refund me the £260 of which I am in credit .
    It’s only 25 days since your switch-over day;...Ofgem guidelines say Energy firms have 6 weeks (after switch-over day) to prepare your final bill,...then a further 10 working days to issue any credit refund if applicable.

Preparing your final bill is dependent on your final meter readings being approved by 3rd party meter reading verification companies;...this verification process can sometimes be protracted and the Energy firms can’t issue your final bill (and credit refund) until this process is completed.

The question of Energy companies taking a monthly D/D whilst a switch is in progress is certainly a moot point;...some do, some don’t. Not sure if there are any Ofgem rules regarding this particular facet of the switching process.
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Options
    Actually, Avro have been good with me in that they stopped all further direct debit payments once I had confirmed that I was switching. Just waiting for the final bill now and refundofmy credit, but as the switch date was 26th June I guess I have a bit of time wait yet. ;)
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • Willberry
    Willberry Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Switched to Avro in October, 2018. Never received a statement from them till I emailed in March 2019. Following day received email confirming statements now available and have been ever since. When Avro were prevented from taking on new customers for a few weeks I decided to leave and moved to British Gas via the MSE Cheap Energy Club. Switch took place on 21 June.
    On 1 July I emailed Avro asking when final bill would be produced, pointing out I had built up a fairly substantial credit balance and asking when this would be returned. I also asked that no direct debit be taken from my bank on 12 July which would otherwise have increased my credit balance.
    One week later on 8 July I received an email from Avro saying final bill now available and refund would be available at the end of the week but to allow 10 working days to reach me. They could not stop the direct debit and advised that I contact my bank to cancel same.
    I cancelled the DD online and when I checked my bank account on 11 July my refund had been credited to my account and no DD taken.
    All in all my experience with Avro was OK and money returned very promptly but I can't help feeling I am one of the luckier ones. I am quite happy to have left them. They always gave the impression they were trying to run on a shoe string.
  • Bluedaveyboy
    Options
    Just switched to Avro in the last few days all ok at the moment...hopefully will continue
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback