PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking Fish?

Options

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi leni,

There is a recent thread on fish that may help Herrings and other fish where the original poster has a query similar to yours so I'll merge your thread with it so that all the ideas can be kept together. As always posts are in date order, so you will need to read from the beginning.

If you look in the mega index sticky at the top of the board you will find lots of other threads about cooking fish:

Fish and other seafood:
    - Fish cakes
    - For stock (first and last posts)
    - herring and other fish
    - Raw fish bits - for stock or...?
    - Salmon, tuna... others?
    - Salvage a salmon
    - Sardine burgers
    - Smoked salmon in main course
    - Squid - from frozen
    - Trout
    - Tuna steaks
    - What should I do with cod?

HTH,

Pink
  • Bright_Eyes_3
    Options
    Hi Leni
    Thai style mussels are my FAVE!
    We eat loads of fish. Have just had oven baked Salmon with veg couscous and spring greens. Not cheapest at £7.50 for 4 for the salmon.

I oven bake loads of white fish - whatever is cheapest in your area (here in NE Scotland its probably haddock or coley) but could use plaice, cod or even dabs.

My fave is with bacon and cabbage (bacon is SOooooo good with most fish). Cook some choppped bacon (no extra fat) then add cabbage (variety of choice) finely shredded with just the water clinging from washing. Takes less than 5 mins. You can add flavours like lemon rind/juice; white wine; tarragon; garlic, etc and a touch of cream or yoghurt or creme fraiche (bear in mind that anythng other than double cream CAN NOT be boiled!!) Keep warm and oven bake fish on baking tray in med oven for 10 -20 mins according to thickness. This can be sprinkled with pepper, lemon juice or white wine or dotted with butter if the waistline can stand it - covered in foil. Add some sort of potato or other carb if desired.

Any fish and almost any combi of your taste for veg can be substituted. Fish is very good for us - and th original Fast Food. If you like roasted root veg then whatever you want (chopped and brushed with olive oil in an oven tray for 20 - 40 mins then add your choden fish, cer with foil and seasoning/jiuce for another ten minutes. A meal on one tray.
    Bon Appetit
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    I like Herring Roes on buttery toast ...

:drool: I absolutely LOVE that! :drool: With a little sprinkle of vinegar on the top when served too :D

I wash mine first and then dip into seasoned flour - gives it a little bit of extra texture. As you say, they are very good value and are also delicious in a fish pie (reduces the amount of fish needed and bulks it out a bit) particularly the type of fish pie Pink-winged has posted.

How to encourage kids to eat more fish?

Kedgeree - over the holidays we had mackeral kedgeree so you can vary the fish to suit your tastes)
    homemade fish fingers
    homemade fish cakes,
    fish pies,
    fish bakes (my d10yo son made a beautiful fish bake - basically just poached white fish, a white sauce poured over, mixed in a little pasta, topped a sprinkle of grated cheese and scrunched plain crisps over, popped in the oven to finish off, it was delicious!).
    With shrove Tuesday coming up soon, how about pancakes filled with flaked fish in a little white sauce?

Actually, I think the real trick to getting children to eat most things ... let *them* help you make it, or even better, once their skills/age are appropriate, let them do it themselves.

Although, sometimes, if they really don't like something, no amount of tempting will help. Tinned pilchards are very economical but one of my son's literally couldn't eat them (he'd gag) and another of my sons would eat them until the cows came home!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    as a starting point I'd suggest plaice for fussy kids, just a bit different and nice mild taste. also it's deep sea so supposedly less poluted.

quick fish pie
    1 tin of salmon ( skin and bones removed if you don't like them)
    juice reserved.
    mix juice with some philly-type cream cheese ( personally I love the low fat chive flavour one) to make creamy sauce
    add any other fishy scraps you've got in the freezer, few prawns, white fish fillet etc.
    maybe some veggies too.
    bung in a baking dish, top with mash , breadcrumbs or just parmesan.

fish fillet topped with sundried tom paste
    this is a nice easy one.
    put a good blob of sundried tomato paste on top of your fillet of fish.
    add some diced courgettes, red peppers if you have them
    cook in the oven.
    Delish

bit of a long shot, but how about getting your kid to make sushi ?
    we got all the ingredients from tesco ( nori, sushi rice, vinegar + fillings) and made them together. messy fun :rotfl:
    amazingly my extremely fussy austistic sprectum son ate 2 ! can't beleive he ate seaweed, smoked salmon and avocado. RESULT !:j

we bulk buy Lidl's premuim tuna in olive oil, it's very good. in fact it's the only brand DS will eat. Lild also sell frozen pollock fillets, and excellent skinned boneless tinned sardines, (which might be good starting point for getting kids to eat sardines?) but not always in stock.
    hth
    -
    Katya
  • savingpennies
    Options
    I make the usual fish pie with mash on top but also this one is popular with my lot: curried fish pie.
    I use about 1lb white fish, coley is good for this, and make a white sauce and add a bit of curry powder. You can also add sweetcorn/raisins/prawns. Mix together and put in oven proof dish. For the topping I make an oat crumble: rub 2oz marg with 2oz plain flour and 1 1/2 oz of porridge oats. I also add a bit of parsley. Put on top of fish & sauce and bake in oven for 40 mins gas4/180c/350f. Nice with green veg. It's quiet good for those who 'don't like fish'.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    Tilly Tidying:
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    I don't have any recipes to share (yet!!!) but just wanted to say thank you to all the posters as I am trying out the new recipe ideas.

This site is brilliant! I only came on here to get mortgage advice and I've learned how to cook!!!!
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    We do try our best to help everyone annie-c ;)
  • nightsong
    Options
    A friend of mine who was a poor student used to make Pilchard In The Hole. It's worth it just for the name. Quite tasty too.

Also, how about homemade fishcakes? Pilchards are good for these becasue the tinned ones are moist.
  • Joannaclaire
    Options
    I make a yummy smoked mackerel and leek risotto - serves approx 4.

Chop up and fry 3-4 leeks and a big onion in some olive oil. Then add 250g (half a packet of risotto rice). Stir and cook for 2 mins.

Then add a cup of white wine (I sometimes add two cups as we buy cheap french wine to drink/cook with - 2.75 at Tesco so we can afford to be generous when cooking with it), some chicken stock (can be left out though as the fish is strong anyway), water, juice from a big lemon and keep stirring it and topping up with water as it cooks and soaks up the moisture.

Then when rice is cooked to taste- al dente or otherwise (Takes approx 20-30 mins with us as we have an electric cooker), add about 4-5 chopped up mackerel filets (can use the peppered ones if you like) and serve with dried or fresh dill sprinkled on top.

Yummy!
  • Alfietinker
    Options
    thriftlady wrote:
    :
    Get the fishmonger(or supermarket fish counter person) to fillet them for you.

Can I ask a really silly question? :o We're trying to eat more fish and we love the taste, but I really can't bear skin. It's just the thought of it turns my stomach - same goes for heads! :eek: :o

I try and get fish from the fishmongers but I tend to only buy fillets of things that I know either he or I can pull the skin off. (Can just about cope with that!)

If I saw a whole fish (mackrel/trout/herring etc) would he laugh if I asked him to fillet them for me? I've never known what the convention is - by that I mean if it's got a head on, are you meant to cook it that way? :confused:
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07 :j :j :j :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport