PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking Fish?

Options

Comments

• comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Ive been trying to get my DS and DD to try a greater variety of food, and had been failing dreadfully, what ive just started doing is whilst out shopping, getting them to choose what we will try, and then involving them in helping cook it all. They are now trying much more, they dont like everything they are trying, but are giving it all a go!!!!
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Im quite interested in this thread. I am not very adventerous when it comes to fish and tend to stick generally to cod or haddock...normally in breadcrumbs..LOL :p

DD is 11 and she likes it when I do a fishpie which is a cheaters fishpie.

Cook up a boil in bag cod in parsley sauce. Boil some spuds and cook up some brocolli or cabbage. Mash spuds up and break up fish and mix together with the parsley sauce, add in the brocolli and grate some cheese over top. Stick under grill for a few mins till brown....tastes lovely.

Love the look of salmon but when I tasted it many years ago, I didnt like the crunchy bones in it....eewww. Is this the same as the fillets or do they not have bones in it :confused:

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 580 Forumite
    Options
    I assume it was tinned salmon you had? Fresh salmon fillets shouldn't have bones in.
    I usually cover them in pesto then cook them in the oven in foil for about 20 mins. they're really good for you & delicious.
    I also sometimes mix salmon with other fish from the freezer - prawns,white fish, whatever you have. fry up some leek or an onion & make a white sauce add the fish & half the white sauce to the leek then layer up in an ovenproof dish with lasagne ending with white sauce. Sprinkle with grated cheese & bake for a really good seafood lasagne.
  • Faith_2
    Faith_2 Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for ressurecting this thread! I'd lost my ways a little regarding fish towards the end of last year, but am back on track. DD has been laughing at me because every time we go to Tesco and the yellow fin tuna has been on bogof I've bought a few packs. As I say to her it will keep until 2010!!

I tried a few fish recipes with DD but she doesn't like anything with bones, so we're back on salmon (which I love). I'm a bit concerned about cod because of the extinction issues.

DD prefers a tin of mackerels in tomato sauce, warmed up and served on toast... weird kid lol!!!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dobie: Welcome to mse, what a great first post...thank you. I'm going to give your smoked mackerel pasta a go.

PP: I think the salmon that you had must have been tinned. The bones aren't to everyones taste but they are an excellent source of calcium. My daughter hates them so I buy her tesco's own brand skinless and boneless tinned salmon, 76p for 180g. If you buy fresh salmon ask for salmon fillets and there shouldn't be any bones.

One of my childrens favourite meals is home made fish pie:

Ingredients:

Any fish ( I used a combination of white fish/salmon/prawns)
    Milk
    Grated cheese
    Hard boiled eggs
    Frozen peas
    Mashed potatoes

Method

Poach the fish in milk
    Remove the fish and arrange it in a deepish serving dish
    Add quartered hard boiled eggs and frozen peas to the dish
    Use the milk (that the fish was poached in) to make a white sauce
    Add grated cheese and black pepper to the sauce and pour over the fish/eggs/peas
    Top with mashed potato

Pop into a hot oven for 20 mins or until the potato is golden

I'm sorry that I haven't included quantities, but I made the recipe up myself so I just guess depending on how big a pie I'm making.

Pink
  • GreenFingers_2
    Options
    I like Herring Roes on buttery toast – really nice and good for you too. Quick and easy to cook and not very strong tasting if you’re thinking of doing them for a child. Just fry them lightly in a little butter for three or four minutes. You can buy them fresh or in tins at the supermarket.

The main fresh fish I buy are Mackerels and Herrings. Both of course are excellent for your health with all the good oils and everything. I grill these but both can have quite a strong flavour so not sure if suitable for children.

Hope this helps... :)
    :)The £2 Coin Savers Club = £346.00 (£300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

:)"Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I love mackerel and herring too,so good for you and full of flavour,but not, it has to be said that popular with children-Faith I envy you!

There's a lovely recipe in Jocasta Innes' The Pauper's Cookbook for herring roes(fresh ones) with peas and garlic.

I like salmon fillets marinated in teriyaki sauce,which you can find next to the soy sauce in the supermarket, and then grilled.This goes down well with fish-phobic children as it has a sweet bbq-like taste.
  • leni
    leni Posts: 942 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd like to start eating more fish but can only do the trusty old Haddock and Chips!

Doing Thai Style Mussels with Sweet Potatoe wedges tonight though!

Anyone any fish idea's that don't cost too much!?

thanks in advance!

DEBT FREE for the first time in 10 years and with savings!

1st Baby due May 2011 :o it's a BOY:j
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :wave: Hi there,
    What about old-fashioned herrings in oatmeal?
    Get the fishmonger(or supermarket fish counter person) to fillet them for you.
    Put some oatmeal(not porridge oats) on a plate and dip the fish in it pressing the oatmeal well on,do both sides,
    Fry in some olive oil or bacon fat if you've got any.This will take a few mins each side.the oatmeal should look golden brown,not too dark.
    Serve with lemon wedges,season with salt and pepper.I like them with baked spuds and a crunchy winter salad like coleslaw.
    Very good for you,and you can eat the fine,hair like bones.

Grilled mackerel is delicious too and also v.good for you.Mackerel takes well to strong spices like cumin and coriander.It's also good with a sauce made of rhubarb or gooseberries,these acidic fruits cut the richness of the fish.English forced rhubarb should be making an appearence soon.HTH

Herring and mackerel are about the cheapest fish you can buy,coley is also cheap.Don't be put off by it's slightly grey colour,its turns white when cooked and is fine for fishcakes and pies.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    I did a nice white fish provencale today.
    1 onion chopped
    2 rasher bacon chopped
    1 pepper chopped
    Fried on low heat for 5 mins to soften
    a couple of while fish fillets chopped into large chunks fried for another 5 mins with the above
    Tin of chopped tomatoes stirred in together with bayleaf
    Seasoning including a tsp sugar simmer for about 15 mins stirring occasionally.

Posher version here
    Fish provencale
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business