PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cooking Fish?

Options

Comments

• alba37
    alba37 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Options
    I like all fish, but was going to mention, sole, monkfish & fresh tuna. (all already mentioned) Monkfish is expensive though :mad:

Fish is so easy to cook & quick. Maybe once you start experimenting you will see how great it is.
  • zombiecazz
    zombiecazz Posts: 535 Forumite
    Options
    Haddock Hake and cod are very similar and can be cooked in many ways. Such as:

Fried in batter To make batter mix plain flour with a pinch of salt and pepper, a tsp of vinegar and enough water to give you a thin batter. Batter cans also be flavoured with various things lioke, mustard, herbs, garlic or lemon.

Baked: with any type of cream or tomato sauce. Eg curried tomato and spinach sauce, red thai curry sauce, cheese sauce, lemon sauce, broccoli and blue cheese sauce. Just season the fish with a little salt pepper and lemon juice. Place in an oven proof dish. Make your sauce pour over fish and bake at a medium temp for 45 mins.

Grilled: make up some nice marinade or butter. Season fish and grill gently until cooked. eg lemon and spring onion butter, lime, olive oil and pepper sauce marinade, pesto and oilive oil marinade.

Other ideas: Fish pie with a creamy sauce and broccoli. Fish cakes with herbs.
    "A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain
  • sianb84
    sianb84 Posts: 445 Forumite
    Options
    when I say tuna I mean from tins and cod is usually from tesco frozen section - never brought fresh!

I have made a note of everything suggested and am going to try one a week - for cost reasons!
  • alba37
    alba37 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Options
    sianb84 wrote: »
    when I say tuna I mean from tins and cod is usually from tesco frozen section - never brought fresh!

I have made a note of everything suggested and am going to try one a week - for cost reasons!

lol! Yes I understand cost. I think a good first one is fish pie. Maybe with a mix of smoked haddock & cod or hake. It's pretty cheap. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

A x
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi sian,

Have you seen the thread on fish pie? There are lots of recipes there with different ways to make fish pie.

Fishcakes are another economical way of eating fish.

Tuna fishcakes

tuna fish cakes

Pink
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    If cost is an issue mackerel is hard to beat for taste, health (oily fish) and price as long as it's really fresh - try a fishmonger on a Tuesday (almost guaranteed to be fresh as if it was from Saturday (4 days old) it would be easy to tell!) rather than a supermarket. You may prefer it filleted as the bones are a bit pesky, but its also easy to grill whole and then the fish comes off the bone quite easy. For white fish, Hake is a good choice, try coley too if you like cod.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Crazychik
    Crazychik Posts: 1,994 Forumite
    Options
    I like salmon, I usually steam the small portions, and have with new potatoes & corn on the cob!

baked trout! wrapped in foil, sprinkle with a little lemon juice, salt & pepper & small amount of garlic. This method can also be done on a steamer.

Same with tuna steak.

Try asking the fish monger for some recipe ideas and cooking methods. They are only too happy to advise (if they know they will get a sale)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    I love all fish and often just choose either a piece or a fish from the fishmonger and ask him to fillet it.
    Put in a large frying pan, with a smear of oil, skin side down and cook gently for 5 minutes or so, until it starts to change colour.
    Then flip it over and let it cook again.
    To check it is done, have a poke in the middle and check the flesh has changed colour.
    Really simple and tastes lovely.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Fivenations
    Options
    i'm not crazy about Mackeral but I love this - adapted from Marcella Hazan recipe

Baked mackerel and potatoes

INGREDIENTS
    700g (1 ½ lb) old potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
    900g (2lb) mackerel fillets – keep the skin on
    12 tablespoon olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    50g (2oz) parsley, chopped
    salt and pepper

METHOD
    Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 8/230C/450F.
    Wash and dry the prepared potatoes with kitchen paper.
    Place all of the potatoes, half the oil, half the garlic and half the parsley, salt and pepper into a large ovenproof dish (110 by 16 inch) and mix thoroughly.
    Place the dish in the top of the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are half cooked.

Take the dish out of the oven. Place the mackerel fillets over the potatoes, skin side down. Mix the remaining oil, garlic and parsley in a small dish and use this to baste the fish. Sprinkle with slat and pepper and return to the oven.

Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven. Scoop up some of the oil from the bottom of the dish and baste the fish and potatoes. You may have to move the potatoes so that they brown evenly. Put the dish back in the oven and cook for another 5 minutes.

Serve straight away.
    NSD 0/15
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rainbow trout.
    Can anyone explain what I did wrong with sardines i grilled-they were just full of bones-very hard to eat?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport