PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking Fish?

Options

Comments

• scotgirl
    scotgirl Posts: 805 Forumite
    Options
    Quick and easy way to cook is by putting into tinfoil parcels with a sqeeze of lemon, cherry tomatoes and courgette (or any other veg you have - toms are nice though) an pepper. Seal the parcel and put in oven for about 20 mins. This is so healthy and lovely served on mash or with boiled potatoes. Yum!
    The Best Things in Life Are Free
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    Options
    Freeze some of it.
  • sianb84
    sianb84 Posts: 445 Forumite
    Options
    I really want to start eating more types of fish. I eat tuna and cod occassionally but really should eat more and more of a variety. I like mackarel but only really have it at christmas time. I don't like salmon, prawns, or that kind of seafood!

On thursday when I go to the market to get my fruit and veg I always walk through the fish bit of the market hall and have a quick peek but never buy any.

What fish would people recommend I try? Does anyone have simple recipes for using the fish? At the moment we use cod for fish pies - although rarely have them.
  • randomtask_2
    Options
    Sea bass is one of my favourites, though not the cheapest fish out there.

Beautiful steamed, with ginger, soy sauce and spring onions...
    "Who throws a shoe, honestly?"
    :rotfl:
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What about Haddock? If you don't get smoked haddock (which you still cook- not like smoked salmon) then it is very similar to cod. ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    Options
    I would also say sea bass. Wrap it up in foil, with some lemon, soy sauce, garlic, herbs and salt and pepper and bake in the oven - yum!!

Or try monk fish as that's quite a meaty fish, so you may prefer the texture

Haddock's lovely poached

Do you like any form of shell fish??
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • littlekitten
    Options
    You coud try lemon sole fillets (really nie but not as expensive as dover sole), you can oven cook them or fry them they are lovely with just a little lemon sprinkled on them or a bit of garlic... and if you wanted to be really heathly you could have it with some salad.

xx
    Good Enough Club member number 22
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    If you like mackerel why do you only get it at Christmas? It is much cheaper than cod or tuna. If you're keen on mackerel you could try other oily fish like herring, pilchards, sardines and, if you're not squeamish about crunching them up whole, sprats. They are all good cooked very simply. You can just grill or fry them and serve them up with a squeeze of lemon, some grilled tomato wedges and some good bread and butter. I also like herring coated in egg beaten with a little mustard and then rolled in oats and fried so the oats make a mealy, crisp coating which with a bit of a mustard tang which works nicely with the richness of the fish. I think you're supposed to use oatmeal for that but you can use porridge oats and it works well, I always do because I always have them in. Also if you get fillets of smoked mackerel ,which you don't have to cook, they make a very nice and very easy when mashed up with yoghurt and lots of black pepper.
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    sianb84 wrote: »
    What fish would people recommend I try? Does anyone have simple recipes for using the fish? At the moment we use cod for fish pies - although rarely have them.

Smoked Haddock is lovely in fish pie.

Salmon is good - really quick to cook, one minute in the microwave then serve with parsley sauce, or marinated in soy sauce and chili and grilled, or wrap in foil, springled with wine wine, slice of lemon and fresh dill, then baked in the oven or put on the bbq.

Mackerel fillets, dipped in breadcrumbs (or batter) and grilled (or fried) make a nice change from shop bought fish and chips.

Monkfish is a lovely chunky fish - just pan fry or grill and then serve with a mushroom risotto (or cut into chunks and add to the risotto to cook).

Sardines marinated in garlic and olive oil and bbq'd are also good, serve with a squeeze of lemon and a glass of cold white wine! Yum! Roll on summer!:D
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport