PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking Fish?

Options
I'm trying to introduce my daughter to a wider variety of fish. It's hard work! She'll have tinned tuna, and fresh salmon if I bride her with biccies (which really defeats the object!).

So, I need some interesting fish recipes, especially herring as I have a couple in the fridge (but not cod) with a 12 yo in mind. She is a good eater all round, not fussy really, just fish. Perhaps it's because on her plate fish looks like fish...

(And I do apologize if there already was another thread on cooking fish.)

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We were very poor when I was a youngster and regularly had pilchard sandwiches for tea. I must admit that tinned pilchards are tasty, cheap (very good value) and good for you.;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have very little on fish at all in our collections. You can certainly hide tuna in one of the pasta bake recipes we have, and you could also do a mornay - have your fish in a white sauce and top with mash and some cheese and breadcrumbs.

There are also some links to useful on-line websites you can search for inspiration.

You can find the Old Style Recipe Collection in our "Indexed Collections" sticky at the top of the forum listing, or you can follow the clue in my signature any time you see it or...

..you can use the Indexed Collections link in the Blue Bar at the top of every page which looks something like this:-

pagetop.gif

And finally, there are other web links in the cooking section of the MEGA Index sticky at the top of the forum listing.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Faith_2
    Faith_2 Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    Nile wrote:
    We were very poor when I was a youngster and regularly had pilchard sandwiches for tea. I must admit that tinned pilchards are tasty, cheap (very good value) and good for you.;)

What a good idea! I had forgotten about tinned pilchards! when I was a student I used to have them on toast! cheap and filling! Thanks!
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    could you try using quite strong flavours with the fish (frowned on by some people I know!). Here are a couple of suggestions

*pesto on top of salmon, then grilled
    *cheddar cheese on top of white fish then grilled with some roasted pappers, garlic, pine nuts and a dollop of creme fraich
    *could you make your own breaded fish fingers - much healthier than shop bought
    *cold poached salmon, flaked over a salad

hope this helps - or gives you some starting ideas.
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • foreverskint
    foreverskint Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Tesco have some cod fillet on offer at the moment, two boxes of 4 fillets each for £5.00.

I use these straight from frozen and top with some breadcrumbs mixed with butter, lemon zest garlic and some onion granules, instead of salt. I then pop them in the oven at about 200oC until they are just cooked and serve with new pots and fresh veg or salad. My OH and 2yo love it.
    Or defrost them and make fishcakes, someone on here will have a recipe for that, cos I can't lay my hands on it right now. I tend to just chuck things in and hope for the best.
    Trout is also a popular fish in this house, Mind you any fish is LOL

Herrings or sardines on the barbie?

Another good way to cook fish like trout (remove head if squeamish), is to place it on a sheet of greasproof, stuff the body cavity with a slice of onion,lemon and some herbs such as dill, or thyme, and wrap tightly and cook in oven as for the cod recipe. You can do this to most fish, adding some wine if you like to the parcel before wrapping. Serve the whole parcel on a plate for the diner to open at the table. Yummy

HTH:D
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My daughters love smoked salmon and you can buy trimmings very cheaply.

Have you tried making fish kebabs with cherry tomatoes - pepppers- onion etc?
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • ancasta_2
    ancasta_2 Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    My friend weaned her kids onto fish buy letting them help themselves to prawnies/ocean pinks and crab sticks when they wanted a nibble. They soon learnt that if they were hungry then they had to eat them.

After about 4 month they both LOVE fish and seafood!

What a novel idea i thought... shame it didnt work with me (OH tried it but i dont like fish that much! altho i love seafood)
  • Downsizing__for_sanity
    Options
    I know! I know! (Been away for a bit, so v keen!)
    This is a lovely recipe, traditional Scottish. Dip the herring into flour, then beaten egg (or milk if you haven't any eggs) and then dip them into a plate of porage oats (just the usual ones you make porridge with). Then fry, preferably in butter, but in olive or sunflower oil if you want. The herring is really nice and crispy, and kids are guaranteed to eat it if you serve with oven chips and tomato sauce!

DFS
  • ancasta_2
    ancasta_2 Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    I like my recipe for "Katie Eggs"

Fish of choice, poached in milk
    Porridge oats
    Seasoned flour
    Eggs (boiled)
    Eggs beaten
    Mashed potato

I poached off some fish and flaked it into some mashed potato. Seasoned with salt pepper and butter then chill. Boil an egg till its at the hard white but slightly soft yoke stage and cool and peel. Once the fishy potatoe is chilled and quite solid roll out a piece of cling film and put a dollop of the fish mix onto it and cover with another piece of cling film. Squash out the mix till its in a square which is about 5" x 5" or bigger if your using big eggs. Removed the top piece of film and put the egg into the middle. Gather all the cling film up from the bottom of the fish mix and gently form it around teh egg so its evenly covered. While still wrapped in the film chill again (this can all be done the day before)

Have some seasoned flour, beaten egg and porridge oats to hand. Unwrap your egg shapes and dip through the flour, into the egg and into the porridge. Repeat the egg and porridge stage a 2nd time to make it extra crunchy. Again let this rest for a little while in the fridge then deep fry until the porridge turns deep golden brown.

MMMMMMM yummy!
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 580 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I'm new to this site & thought for my first contribution I'd share one of my favourite recipies with you all. This was served to us by a hard up student friend of ours & is now one of our favourite meals, easy & really cheap especially if you can get smoked mackerel reduced just before it's sell by date. I got 4 fillets this week for 99p.
    I call it (not very imaginitively) smoked mackerel pasta.
    You need
    chopped onion
    clove or 2 of garlic or some garlic paste
    mushrooms if you've got some don't worry if not
    pasta
    smoked mackerel
    cream cheese (I usually use the stuff with garlic & herbs but whatever you've got is fine)
    squeeze of lemon

Fry the onion 'til soft then add the chopped garlic & mushrooms if using. Meanwhile boil the pasta & drain it.
    Flake & skin the mackerel (the dog LOVES the skin) & add this to the onion etc. until heated through.
    Tip in the pasta, stir through the cream cheese until it melts & then sqeeze on the lemon juice.
    You probably won't need salt as the fish is salty but I usually add some black pepper.
    We usually have it with garlic ciabatta.

Hope you enjoy it.

That's it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family