PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Table-top halogen ovens

Options

Comments

• larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    freya18th wrote: »
    I have used tin foil in mine every time i have used it. But i always make sure it does not touch the element at the top.I have also used the black silicone liners you can get but because you cannot join them together but only overlap them at the bottom i have used them with things that don't drip so much with tin foil you can join that together so it does not leak.

It was probably co-incidence. Anyway I am going to keep the bowl and stand and plant herbs in it. I think it will make an unusual if slightly eccentric addition to my garden!:)
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• bohma2000
    bohma2000 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had mine for six months now and use tin foil all the time with no ill effects. Did you let it touch the element? As a matter of interest, how old was yours and what make?
  • larmy16
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 July 2009 at 8:37AM
    Options
    bohma2000 wrote: »
    I've had mine for six months now and use tin foil all the time with no ill effects. Did you let it touch the element? As a matter of interest, how old was yours and what make?

Hi

It was a JML and it is possible the foil touched the element. I am not sure. It was well over a year old. I still consider it a bargain at just over a pound a week. Can't wait to get my next one!:)

My electricity fused last night again and I was not using the JMl as it is broken. Maybe the power surge did it????

• bohma2000
    bohma2000 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe a power surge damaged your halogen cooker? If your home is subject to power surges I strongly recommend you get a power surge protector. They are not very expensive and are well worth the money as power surges can damage other electrical equipment in the home, especially personal computers.
  • NanDragon444
    NanDragon444 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 9 July 2009 at 11:14PM
    Options
    Have read all the posts, to date, regarding counter-top Halogen Ovens, obviously including yours...I bought mine back in April this year, from TVDeals.com, for £39.95, it included 2 racks, tongs and a very basic recipe leaflet (i think aimed at the American market because lots of recipes for Veal and steak) but very good value, I think and I am very pleased with it.
    Unfortunately, I have not yet been very adventurous with the items coooked in it, mainly ready meals for one (never was a very good cook-Hubby used to do all the cooking but he died to get out of the kitchen :-)
    I have however, done great baked potatoes in it..Used potato approx. 8-10 oz. Cooked it in microwave (E/850) first, for 7 minutes on highest setting, then put it on high rack in H.O. at 250 celsius for another 8 mins. They come out wonderful, nice and crispy on the outside and all fluffy in the middle.
    I am extremely grateful to everyone for all the info. contributed thus far on this subject, I have found it very helpful and I will update my input when I have experimented with my future cooking skills, if anyone is interested.
  • larmy16
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all.

I got my new hally this week. Lovely. It really is like part of the family. This one was Coopers of London bought via Amazon. I also bought the accessories which with the oven worked out the same as the JML. I have also bought a surge protector so I'm back in business.

Their one had a much more informative recipe book than the JML though a lot of it was meat based and we are mainly veggie. Still I am pleased to see my space age type glass bowl with its nuclear type light back on my worktop.

Like the previous poster I am going to try to be more adventurous with this one, maybe make some cakes?

The accessories pack included a frying pan, steamer basket (v. useful) and a toaster rack!

• irishwexford
    Options
    I bought a JML to try and cut down on elec costs from my fan oven. Not using it much now as we are living on salads from allotment but it does cook a chicken well. I use a cooking bag and put it on for 30 mins upside down and 30 mins breast up and it comes out moist. I always use it for meat and things like fruit crumble but never tried to cook meat and veggies at same time. May be misleading to show a whole meal cooked like this but will try and fill a cooking bag with veggies and try that on its own. Jacket pototoes are just great cooked in this and like others I do cook in mico for a few mins first. My elec bill has come down to an amount I am happy with. I read my meters each week and keep a record, one week in January I used £15 (although I did batch cook) next week using JML it was £7.50. Its a big bulky thing to have on worktop but have managed to find space in a cupboard to store it. I have used tin foil with no problems.
  • jinnyn_2
    jinnyn_2 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I love my JML, I cook almost everything in it. I love toast cooked in it.
    I butter the bread first then just lay it on the top rack. I cook it on hightest setting then I watch it until it's done to my preference. Try it.
    My grandaughter calls it my SPECIAL TOAST.
  • larmy16
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I really don't think it was the foil as I have done loads of fish parcels in foil and no problem. Anyway, getting back to the chicken IrishWexford, may I ask what temperature you would roast the bird on and also are you talking a three pounder ish?

Thanks.

My accessories pack also had that silver coloured wider ring to give more height to the cooker.

• larmy16
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Carly, measurements. It is approx 17" across, or slightly under. It is approximately 13" tall.and 12" depth. Sorry don't do centimetres. I also say approximately as I was measuring with a slightly rigid tape rule thingy.

The only pie I have cooked in it was a ready made Linda Mc Cartney mince and onion - it turned out lovely. HTH. By the way it is the Coopers machine I have.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business