PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Table-top halogen ovens

Options

Comments

• larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ere-we-go wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies, particularly larmy16 on the veggie subject!

I usually cook rice on the hob but find it's either not quite cooked and like little bullets in the middle or over cooked and just mushy. I'll look out for one of those microwave rice pots - but I think I've almost talked myself into a halogen oven, I'm sure it would be more economical than a conventional oven in the long run. A couple of the daily papers are offering a slightly smaller one than the JML for £39.99, providing the offer's still on of course!

Nora

The microwave pots frequently turn up in charity shops! Or boot fairs if you go to them. I was given mine by a friend and read on here about cooking rice in them. When I enthused about how good it was I think she ended up regretting giving it to me!

I got one for my partner from a charity shop for a £1. I think Robert Dyas might do them and also perhaps Argos???
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• p00
    p00 Posts: 824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 June 2009 at 11:20PM
    Options
    Macro are selling the Halogen Oven for £39.99 for the next 2 weeks. Plus vat ofcourse.

xxp00
  • freya18th
    freya18th Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    p00 wrote: »
    Macro are selling the Halogen Oven for £29.99 for the next 2 weeks. Plus vat ofcourse.

xxp00
    Just got one from Macro last night The price was £39.99 plus vat. It is much bigger than i thought it would be and used it to do a batch of sausage (24) on both rings at once ,had to turn half way through so both sides where browned., then took the top ring off and browned the bottom ones and was really impressed. Did as someone suggested and lined it with tin foil as quite a lot of juice and fat came out of the sausage .Only bought this because of all the information given on this site. Thanks to everyone.:beer:
  • larmy16
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    freya18th wrote: »
    Just got one from Macro last night The price was £39.99 plus vat. It is much bigger than i thought it would be and used it to do a batch of sausage (24) on both rings at once ,had to turn half way through so both sides where browned., then took the top ring off and browned the bottom ones and was really impressed. Did as someone suggested and lined it with tin foil as quite a lot of juice and fat came out of the sausage .Only bought this because of all the information given on this site. Thanks to everyone.:beer:

Doh!!! (slaps head) - it took your post to make me think about the foil thing - I do that all the time with my grill pan. Thanks to you and whoever suggested it!:)

• jonstob
    jonstob Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    larmy16 wrote: »
    Hi.

I see there is a long thread about the Remoska cooker, but I have just become the owner of the JML halogen oven. In an effort to cut down on electricity, I decided to get one of these and so far, the simple things I have done with it have turned out great.

I was wondering if anyone has one and they could pass on any recipes they use. The book it came with had only four recipes. For example, if you do baked potatoes in them, would you time them as in an ordinary oven?

I love this gadget. It seems to live up to the hype of the adverts, but there is not enough information on how to get the best use out of it.

Any other JML owners out there? Sorry mods if this is on wrong board, but did a search and it seems only a few people saying they had one and nothing on how they use it and what for.

Thanks.
    Hello,
    I know it's been a while since you posted this, but now that you are a seasoned user of the halogen oven, would you recommend that I get one?
    I also avoid using my big oven when I just want cook a couple of spuds, and they're not really the same done in the microwave. Also, I sometimes buy the wrong sort of ready meals, which can't be done in a microwave, and they end up cluttering up the freezer.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you look back on this thread, the first time I did baked pots it took about 2 hours in the infra red to cook 4 medium sized pots.

I now do the bulk of the cooking in the microwave and just finish them off in the infra red.

Read meals tend to come in square containers, which can be difficult to fit in the infra red, unless you're only cooking one (never tried layering them in the infra red).

I tend to look on my infra red as more of a combi grill/oven than an oven for baking - things which you can grill come out really nicely - like fish (inc breaded or battered fillets) chicken etc. You can also do a whole roast chicken in there, which is lovely in the summer with a salad.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • hob
    hob Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    they are selling some in t k max, i was thinking about buying one as i live on my owne and my oven is just about had it (gas aswell so probaly not safe) its £40 ish and im not sure the brand but im off to get mine tomorow. ill let you know how i get on with it.
  • larmy16
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jonstob wrote: »
    Hello,
    I know it's been a while since you posted this, but now that you are a seasoned user of the halogen oven, would you recommend that I get one?
    I also avoid using my big oven when I just want cook a couple of spuds, and they're not really the same done in the microwave. Also, I sometimes buy the wrong sort of ready meals, which can't be done in a microwave, and they end up cluttering up the freezer.

Oh I totally recommend my Jml one. It has been used constantly. We still do our jacket pots in the microwave, but they crisp up beautifully in the JML.

We have used it for ready meals, simple biscuitcake type thing, rice pudding, heating up stuff. It is extremely quick and easy compared to my big oven which is hopeless.

I would say however that the maximum amount of people you could get all the stuff in for one meal would be about three. By that I mean a tray of potato wedges. If you needed more you would have to keep the first batch hot and do some more.

It does seem to cook quicker than a conventional oven so you have to watch your food. If anything I have underused it due to laziness. By that I mean I have never attempted to bake a cake, bread or cookies. I will do some day!:) HTH

• larmy16
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not sure if it is on this thread that someone suggested lining the bowl with foil to avoid it getting dirty. It sounded like a great idea, and it may just be coincidence but as soon as I used the foil my halogen oven more or less packed up. It kept switching off our electricity and when I used it today the halogen light which switches on and off no longer works, though the electric part of it does.

I am gutted especially if it was because of the foil. Never mind though.

I have bought the slightly cheaper one by Coopers from Amazon, as for the same price you can get the accessories pack too. Can't live without this fabulous gadget now!:)

• freya18th
    freya18th Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have used tin foil in mine every time i have used it. But i always make sure it does not touch the element at the top.I have also used the black silicone liners you can get but because you cannot join them together but only overlap them at the bottom i have used them with things that don't drip so much with tin foil you can join that together so it does not leak.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure