PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Table-top halogen ovens

Options

Comments

• geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Raksha wrote: »
    I experimented yesterday - 1 baked potato took 2 hours @ 200 degrees in my Flavourwave (I guess the timing would be the same no matter how many pots were being cooked). Does this sound about right?

It depends on the size of the spud, and if you had it on the lower rack or the high one?
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Medium sized - maybe 6-8 oz pre cooked weight on top rack.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We could not get baked potatos right in the halogen. They were never cooked on the inside though being crisp on outer. We now cook them in microwave and brown in HO.

I use it mainly for veg sausages, burgers, roast potatos etc. I do make rice pudding in it which turns out very nicely cooked on lower rack about 200 for 30-40 minutes. I use mostly milk but a bit of water too (slimming at moment). I use soya milk sometimes and it gets a really nice crispy skin.

Despite it being described as easy to clean, I find it very cumbersome as we have a tiny kitchen and it takes up the entire bottom of my slimline dishwasher. I still love it though!:)
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• jinnyn_2
    jinnyn_2 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I always wash mine out with the dishcloth soaked in soapy water and then I dry it with kitchen roll, it only takes me seconds.
  • windsor0
    windsor0 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all im dave, first time posting on this board hope your well, i have just got the coopers halogen oven and need some advice,

1 Can you cook from froxen like other types

2 How do you make roast potaoes do you have to part boil first, how do you cook in the halgen, does it have to go in to a tray with oil in please help as i have the famiy coming over and want to impress lol.

3 Where would one be able to get hold of a recipe book and a general book to show the basics.

Thanks for any help
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh my goodness! I cooked some salmon steaks in mine today - I smeared some Hoi Sin sauce over them, put them in the oven and just left them to 'marinate' for an hour or so, set the oven temp to 220 degrees and cooked for about 10 mins - the fish was so moist, it was like they have been poached, but the sauce on the top added a savouryness, they were delish, served with a mixed salad, a dollop of Approved Foods mayo ;) and some french stick - yummy!
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • jujudrops
    jujudrops Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.morningware.com/Manual/Recipe.pdf

found this, haven'tmade any of the recipes myself yet but hope it helps someone!

Juju:beer:
  • halfpint90
    halfpint90 Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    windsor0 wrote: »
    Hi all im dave, first time posting on this board hope your well, i have just got the coopers halogen oven and need some advice,

1 Can you cook from froxen like other types

2 How do you make roast potaoes do you have to part boil first, how do you cook in the halgen, does it have to go in to a tray with oil in please help as i have the famiy coming over and want to impress lol.

3 Where would one be able to get hold of a recipe book and a general book to show the basics.

Thanks for any help

hi windsor !!

i have also got the coopers version, i've had mine since christmas (was a present from my mum)
    in answer to your questions:

1- yes you can cook from frozen, i do all sorts, fish, fishfingers, potato wedges, pizzas, onion rings, frozen toad in the hole..... you name it.

2 - yes it is best to par boil the potatoes first.

3 - i believe someone before me has posted a link.

according to the adverts you are meant to use these types of ovens just like you would a 'regular' oven, but i find the temps don't need to be quite so high and they tend to cook quicker!

for jacket spuds i do mine till almost done in the microwave and then crisp them off in the halgoen for about 5 mins each side and they are perfect !!

i use mine nearly every day as my normal oven the door seal has gone so doesn't get hot enough, but i can't afford a new one at the moment!

you can even cook eggs in their shells in the halogen, i have been told to try them on 200degrees for 10 mins, and no you don't need to !!!!! them first.........

hope that helps!!
  • freqeist1
    Options
    i have the JML oven, its great but the one of the wires detatched from the halogen bulb (burnt away) and therefore needs replacement or do i just bin the whole thing which would be annoying, any ideas?
  • windsor0
    windsor0 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Halfpint 90.

I will give the roasties a go on thursday, look forward to trying them.

Thankyou
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family